mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Buying a Tallboy LTc demo: deal or no deal?

LBS offered me a Tallboy LTc R with less than a dozen rides on it for $2700, which is $1K less than MSRP. They say the bike is in perfect condition other than some heavy scratches on the bottom of the crank arms and a chip near the rear derailleur (both pictured). Apparently a branch hit the derailleur, causing it to flip up and smack the frame. The derailleur has been replaced. Bike will be covered by the original warranty.

Price seems a little steep to me at first blush (and non-negotiable), but I have no experience buying used. I'll obviously check it out in person before committing, but the shop is about an hour away from me and I don't want to make the drive if it's not a decent deal. Any thoughts?

Buying a Tallboy LTc demo: deal or no deal?-rear-triangle.jpgBuying a Tallboy LTc demo: deal or no deal?-crank.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    If almost 30% off isn't a good deal for something with full warranty on it, I don't know what to say.

The stock crank is cheap, you could easily upgrade and replace it later at minimal cost. The rear triangle damage is only bad looking on the eyes IMO and would happen to you eventually. I say if it fits you and it's the specs you want, go for it. If you buy used you will lose the warranty and probably not save anything.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks for the input, Kevin. I've demoed the same bike elsewhere and am happy with the fit and specs. I don't think I would buy without a warranty, so the alternative is probably to pay more to get something new. Sounds like it may be better to jump on this and use the extra $1k to upgrade components down the road.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Especially if you want a TBLT since they are out of stock for the rest of 2015

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by pking View Post
    Especially if you want a TBLT since they are out of stock for the rest of 2015
    Yeah, Plan A was to wait until SC updated the TBLTc this summer. That obviously didn't work out. The demo is Plan B. Plan C is probably a new Ibis Ripley LS, but I'm not sure I can convince the wife that's a good idea.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I was captain undecided prior to purchasing my LTc. I'm not sure what you are riding now, but this seems like an easy decision if this was on top of your list. Let me paint this differently.

SC sells the frame/shock for $2900. You are buying a complete bike for $200 cheaper than that with full warranty. It has a paint scratch and the cranks have some nicks, woopie!

mtbr member
    Yeah you have a deal others dream about. You have the warranty which is huge AND you know the history of the bike. You won't get that on eb#y or CL.

With the cash you saved on it you can throw it at some touch up paint and some great upgrades.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you are "happy with the fit and specs" then I would go for it. The main reason is the warranty man. Now SC is saying on the website "lifetime warranty" so to me this is a great deal. That is a smoking price and yes, you can upgrade stuff later for what you are saving. Hey, look at the bright side, if you crack the bike (very unlikely), you'll get a new one under the lifetime warranty. Let us know how it turns out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I may have missed it, but did you mention a size you were looking to get? Just for a comparison, CC is selling the CC X01 Kit at 15% off regular price. Seems to be the black yellow version. INstead of paying $6099, they are asking $5184. KNowing CC they may wheel and deal a little more over the phone too, you have to call them and see.

Santa Cruz Bicycles Tallboy LT Carbon CC X01 Complete Mountain Bike - 2015 | Competitive Cyclist

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    I may have missed it, but did you mention a size you were looking to get? Just for a comparison, CC is selling the CC X01 Kit at 15% off regular price. Seems to be the black yellow version. INstead of paying $6099, they are asking $5184. KNowing CC they may wheel and deal a little more over the phone too, you have to call them and see.

Santa Cruz Bicycles Tallboy LT Carbon CC X01 Complete Mountain Bike - 2015 | Competitive Cyclist
    Looking for an XL. I'd love the X01 kit, but it's a little out of my price range (even with the discount).

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I'm looking for an XL, so that particular deal is a no-go. It's a little out of my price range anyway. Probably makes sense to get onto the frame for cheap and then upgrade as I go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Heading up tomorrow to see the bike in person and, if all goes well, to bring it home

I imagine most of you have a lot more experience with the LTc than I do. Let me know if there's anything specific I should look at when I check out the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Basic things to check out really: wear/loose/play in headset, wheel bearings, crank, and pivots. On the rear pivots you can see if there is any play in the rear triangle by moving it side to side. Wheels are straight and spokes are all tensioned. Scratches in the shock or fork. Also see if it comes with the SC bag with the grease gun and grease. It typically comes with 2 bottles of Stan's as well, but they might have used that if it is setup tubeless already.

Best of luck on it, I hope it works out for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin513 View Post
    Basic things to check out really: wear/loose/play in headset, wheel bearings, crank, and pivots. On the rear pivots you can see if there is any play in the rear triangle by moving it side to side. Wheels are straight and spokes are all tensioned. Scratches in the shock or fork. Also see if it comes with the SC bag with the grease gun and grease. It typically comes with 2 bottles of Stan's as well, but they might have used that if it is setup tubeless already.

Best of luck on it, I hope it works out for you.
    If you do the deal, tell them you want the grease gun and grease and you want 2 bottles of Stan's. I'm sure it no problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Already confirmed the grease gun/grease is included. Not sure about Stan's, but I can ask.

Thanks for all the help, fellas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Seems that everyone is discounting the LTc now that SC has told them a new one is coming. They did this before on the Tallboy C. Anyhow, here is some more deals for a brand new LTc's.

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/santa-cruz-tallboy-lt

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Officially a proud owner of a "new" TBLTc! Thanks again, everyone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Congrats! Now post some photos in the LT/LTC thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Ride first, pics second, Kevin : )

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gexas View Post
    some touch up paint
    Crank arm boots