mtbr member

Buying a carbon Tallboy demo?

I was at a LBS the other day, I'm looking into getting a FS 29'er. Not looking for any particular brand, I've ridden a Felt Edict 60, Trek Fuel/Superfly, and a Specialized Camber.

This shop also carried Santa Cruz, and the Superlight caught my eye. Nice simple look, and with the D XC build kit, attractive price.

The guy was very knowledgeable about SC bikes, he was explaining the diff between the single pivot on the SL and the VPP on the Tallboy.

The TB's were nice, but more than I wanted to spend. He mentioned they had a demo tallboy that was going to be for sale soon.

It's a carbon frame, but something of a mutt as it has a D XC build kit on it. Apparently a customer bought a bike and wanted to upgrade, so they swapped the kit over from the demo.

They're going to be asking $2,350 for it. Judging by the cost of the frameset it looks to be a good deal, but I wonder about buying a demo.

He told me that they go through the demo's and sell them as new bikes, so I would get the full warranty, but still.

As far as the DXC build kit, I'm fine with Deore stuff, I have it on my HT and it works great. I'd just like to see a better front shock for that price.

And while the thought of having a carbon bike is cool, it's not something that I really thought I needed. Plus it didn't feel that light, maybe because of the build kit.

Any thoughts?

I can demo it for 75 bucks, then if I buy a bike from them they credit it to the purchase, so I might go that route just to try it. Worse comes to worse I can get something else from them I suppose.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Demo the bike - if you like it, buy it.

You will basically be buying a used bike but its from a shop with a warranty... similar to buying a "Certified Used" car.

Watch this if you have a qualms about SC carbon frames: Pinkbike Visits The Santa Cruz Test Lab Video - YouTube

GMM
    mtbr member
    If you are serious about buying the demo, it would be silly not to give it a try since you can apply the credit. By the way, that sounds like a fantastic deal on a carbon frame. I'd demo sooner than later if I were you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Re: Buying a carbon Tallboy demo?

I bought an alloy Tallboy frame, built it up with some pretty basic kit a year ago. Since then I've done a few upgrades as cheap parts have come up. It's a great way to customise your bike, can be quite cheap too. Cheap upgrade would be some hope hoops to go tubeless, plus a narrow wide chain ring to go 1x10. Easily drop a kg for no more than $500.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Deeply discounted demo w/ warranty is a WIN....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    Definitely buy the demo bike if you're seriously interested.
    GRAPHIC DESIGN : PRINT : SOLUTIONS
    assembly1.net

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    $2350 for a less-than-year-old Tallboy Carbon? Even if you have to swap out a few parts, that's a great deal. I'm assuming the Superlight DXC kit was between $1800-2000, and if so then the TBc is definitely worth the increase in price. I wouldn't worry one bit about the condition or the worthiness (?), the shop will take care of you if they're halfway respectable.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, the DXC SL was 1850. I like the price, and that its a simple black bike. I find so many bikes have these loud paint schemes that just look busy and ugly.

Anyway, the TB looks b@dass too as its matte black.

I'm starting to do research on it, but what's the best use of this bike? I tend to do slow technical trails. I rode today and averaged just under 7mph.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

Warrior's Society
    Sooooo.......for an extra $500, you are getting a carbon frame that retails for well over $1400 more than the SL frame.

You are basically getting a discounted frame with a build kit thrown in.

Having ridden the SP vs VPP, the small jump in price is a no brainer.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You can use the Tallboy however you want.

Seriously though... the best use is "probably" more XC-type trails, but with 120mm of travel up front (assuming that's what the demo has, since it's the most popular front setup) you can ride it for trail or all-mountain stuff too. My buddy actually took his on The Whole Enchilada in Moab last fall, which is about as technical as it gets.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I paid $3000 for my RXC Tallboy Carbon, previous model year, brand new, from Competitive Cyclist. This was in Fall 2011. Rock Shox Reba fork.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, the DXC SL was 1850. I like the price, and that its a simple black bike. I find so many bikes have these loud paint schemes that just look busy and ugly.

Anyway, the TB looks b@dass too as its matte black.

I'm starting to do research on it, but what's the best use of this bike? I tend to do slow technical trails. I rode today and averaged just under 7mph.
    Go for the TB. Especially if you are getting the 5 year warranty...
    TB is a very capable bike, which can be built as a light XC race bike or a long day trail bike.
    One thing to keep in mind is the relatively low bottom bracket, which could be a problem on very technical climbs. It can be cured a bit with running a 120mm fork instead of 100. TB is good to go with either and I believe most of the people use 120. There are some even running a 140...
    On the other side, the low BB helps with stability on DH and railing turns.

mtbr member
    Having owned SC single pivots, every version of VPP, and a Tallboy C, my advice is to buy the Tallboy. Remember, it's easier and cheaper to upgrade components over time when you have a good frame to start with. And with either bike you're going to want to upgrade the brakes first. Keep an eye on ebay or the mtbr classifieds for some Deore or SLX takeoffs.

Everything else is fine, even the fork. As things wear out you can upgrade, but there's no rush. You'll be more than happy with the bike.
    Santa Cruz Bronson - Specialized Crave Rigid

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the responses.

I watched that video btw, that's pretty reassuring about how strong the carbon frame actually is.

This bike has the 100mil travel fork, it's the Recon Silver. If I had to choose I would def go with a 120mil fork.

That 3k for the RXC sounds like a great deal. I think even at this price I'd have more than that in it if I tried to upgrade it to RXC specs.

I've read a lot of great reviews on the TB, so I'm definitely warming to the idea. I want to demo it soon; even if I don't like this particular bike, it should at least give me a feeling of how a 100mil bike handles the terrain around here. The low BB is a concern, but how low is "low" in comparison to other bikes? What's an average BB height?

I also rode a Scott Spark & Genius today. Nice bikes, I think the Spark may be at the top of my list if I don't go TB.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member

My advise would be, demo the bike. There are many people liking it with a 100mm fork. It will handle a bit faster due to the steeper TT angle. If your trails are narrow, fast and twisty it might be even better choice compared with a taller fork.
    The low BB has its advantages, but you need to try the bike in order to find out if it works for you.
    You can also get few pedal strikes here and there, but you can definitely adjust your riding style to it, unless you are planning to do a lot of technical climbing with huge rocks in your way...
    I believe the TB was originally designed around 100mm fork. Approved for 100-120mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would have loved to have the option you do. As said you are basically getting a discounted frame with a build kit for free. Who cares about it being a demo since they are selling it to you as new with warranty.

This allows you ride ride now, but build it up the way you want as money allows. I paid 4.5k for mine and still ended up buying better wheels and putting on a 34mm Fox on the front.
    I wouldn't hesitate, at a price like that, it won't be around long.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    My advise would be, demo the bike. There are many people liking it with a 100mm fork. It will handle a bit faster due to the steeper TT angle. If your trails are narrow, fast and twisty it might be even better choice compared with a taller fork.
    The low BB has its advantages, but you need to try the bike in order to find out if it works for you.
    You can also get few pedal strikes here and there, but you can definitely adjust your riding style to it, unless you are planning to do a lot of technical climbing with huge rocks in your way...
    I believe the TB was originally designed around 100mm fork. Approved for 100-120mm.

Actually they were designed to run 100-120mm.....but 140mm was acceptable per SC.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

memorable member
    I bought a tallboyc demo xt build for 3200.00. Definitely one of my better decisions. Fantastic bike for eastern roots. After riding it for a year now I've decided to try a 100mm fork. Its all tight twisty here so I think itll handle better. I can certainly see how the 120 would work well out west.

It could be made into a monster, if we all pull together as a team.

mtbr member
    I haven't demo'd it yet, but am thinking I might do that this Sat.

Reading all the great reviews of the TB got me excited to try it, however after talking to a few local riders, I'm thinking the 100mil travel will not be enough. I realize I can go 120mil on the fork, but that still leaves the rear.

I'm thinking the TB LT might be the way to go if I go Tallboy.

The other one I'm really liking right now is the Scott Genius 940 with 130mil travel adjustable to 90mil and full lockout f/r, selected via bar mounted shifter. I rode that and the Spark 940 (100mil) and they were both very nice.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride