Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Och aye the noo

Butcher and Nickel. The end?

There is a rumour going about that Santa Cruz are ceasing production of the Butcher and Nickel.

Does anyone know anything about this or is it just idle gossip?

Bikes!
    Hi, if you don't mind me asking, where did this rumour come from?

To be honest, I don't know why SC haven't done more with the APP format, but maybe they're just not selling as well as the single pivot and VPPs?

In my opinion the APP is excellent and it would be a massive shame for SC not to do more with it. I stll really love riding my Nickel and as I've said before and will say again, I prefer it to the SC VPP bikes.
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2015 Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    If its true then it's sad....

Och aye the noo
    Clicky linky

Not sure if it's true or not. Just wanted to know if anyone else had heard anything.

Bikes!
    Thanks, hmm not sure I'd trust what I read on that forum until it actually happens but lets see...

As lazymuf says, it'll be sad if it's true...
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2015 Trek Farley 8

Och aye the noo
    Thanks, hmm not sure I'd trust what I read on that forum until it actually happens but lets see...
    The guy seemed pretty convincing, but as you say, we'll see.

It would be a shame, love the Butcher in Tic Tac Orange.

mtbr member
    SC are stopping production with none on the water due to not being able to produce enough carbon frames and not selling as many nickels and butchers due to blurs nomads etc being more popular.
    Anyone want to translate the bolded section into English and explain how that is relevant to the Nickel and Butcher?......

not saying he doesnt know what hes talking about, but that part doesnt make any sense at all

Creepy tooth fairy
    Ahhh yes, Singletrack Forums. That bastion of all truth in mountain bike reporting with it's riveting analysis and literary quality.

Both bikes are still on their site. I would not sweat it. Now go ride.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

Bikes!
    Lol
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2015 Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    You'll know it's true when SC makes an announcement and the APP bikes disappear from their website.

Having said that if they aren't selling enough APP bikes the cost/hassle to stock/service those models may not be worth it. There is definitely something to be said for a simple easy to understand product line.

The Heckler - Nomad AL - Nomad C is a pretty good spread of cost and function in the All Mtn Category.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    butcher is on the cover of bike magazine this month
    here we go again

mtbr member
    The hideous new graphics can't have helped matters.

Some confirmation below.

Santa Cruz :: News from 18 Bikes :: 18 Bikes Web Shop
    Last edited by honourablegeorge; 05-22-2012 at 04:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Cmon Mike...just break it to us........

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If they are not selling well perhaps SC might dump them on hucknroll/chainove and some poor sap who was looking to get one cheap will luck out. Too bad they seemed like a good blend of affordability and function, maybe it is just wasn't the right time. Nowadays it seems people either have money to spend or they don't.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danglingmanhood View Post
    If they are not selling well perhaps SC might dump them on hucknroll/chainove and some poor sap who was looking to get one cheap will luck out. Too bad they seemed like a good blend of affordability and function, maybe it is just wasn't the right time. Nowadays it seems people either have money to spend or they don't.
    I just don't think they were attractive bikes, relative to the competition at the same price point - the likes of the Transition Covert and Yeti ASR5 are selling like hot cakes for similar money. Neither of them have the "budget" tag associated with them either, which APP has, by default.

Looks count for a lot too, and whoever made the decision to launch the butcher in the hideous brown colour, and then the awful new decasl - that's who I'd blame.

mtbr member
    Well... that was quick. I personally like the chocolate brown paint.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    Well... that was quick. I personally like the chocolate brown paint.

I prefer the brown to the colour shown currently on the SC site.

I do agree with the poster above that the challenge is differentiating the Butcher from the AL Nomad in a way that makes sense.

If someone wants to save $$ the Heckler makes a ton of sense.

If they have money to spend the Nomad is pretty much a legend by now.

It's not a question of whether or not the Butcher is a great bike. It's a question of distilling that down into an easy to digest message that can be conveyed in 60 seconds on the SC website or on the sales floor at a LBS.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    fwiw, having owned both a heckler and and a butcher, I think the butcher is a much more refined bike; stronger frame, better suspension curve, perfect all-around geo with a 6" fork, and less lateral flex due to the extra links, for not a whole lot more $ than a heckler. Too bad if this is true, but if theyre not selling well thats the way it goes i guess. Hope sc will keep stocking replacement links/bearings/axles because I plan on riding mine until it breaks, which might be a looong time. I cant believe it doesnt sell well, 90% of a Nomad at 60% of the price...
    There goes my hope of a 7" travel APP bike. Rats.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    fwiw, having owned both a heckler and and a butcher, I think the butcher is a much more refined bike; stronger frame, better suspension curve, perfect all-around geo with a 6" fork, and less lateral flex due to the extra links, for not a whole lot more $ than a heckler. Too bad if this is true, but if theyre not selling well thats the way it goes i guess. Hope sc will keep stocking replacement links/bearings/axles because I plan on riding mine until it breaks, which might be a looong time. I cant believe it doesnt sell well, 90% of a Nomad at 60% of the price...
    There goes my hope of a 7" travel APP bike. Rats.
    Heckler's really are pretty flexy bikes. But they look cooler
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    There's something to be said for a simplified product line. I was kind of surprised when the APP bikes were introduced, since Santa Cruz already had the single pivot and VPP designs. Promoting three different designs seems like a difficult thing to do from a marketing perspective, even if they're all solid products. Probably why no other manufacturer, at least that I can think of, has attempted it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    Ahhh yes, Singletrack Forums. That bastion of all truth in mountain bike reporting with it's riveting analysis and literary quality.

Both bikes are still on their site. I would not sweat it. Now go ride.
    As a user of both forums I'm yet to see anything which elevates this place above stw.

If anything this place is worse as it's rampant with fanboi-ism.

I always thought the nickel would struggle in light of it's weight to travel ratio which is pretty off-putting on paper. I'm surprised at the butcher though.

b a n n e d
    It just seems to me that the APP bikes attempt to fill a void that isn't really there in the first place . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Love my Nickel ! I guess now it is destined to become a "classic".

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i expected them to phase out the single pivot bikes once the app were established. they make more sense in that context but i guess they were never really cheap enough for the low end

Bikes!
    Just spoken to my local SC dealer, he told me that Santa Cruz sent out a clearance list last week and that the Nickel and Butcher are no more.

I'm glad I've still got one though!
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2015 Trek Farley 8

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast