mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Burgtec shock bushings and the Nickel 101

I understand these offset bushings drop the BB by about 1/4". Is that it? Do they adjust any other angles? I am running a 2.25" stroke shock on my Nickel (142mm travel) and am wondering how these bushings might affect my bike other than dropping the BB.

Admittedly ignorant about MTB suspensions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It will slacken the seat tube and head tube angles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Did you get around to doing this?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by membrain View Post
    Did you get around to doing this?
    Tried this weekend but couldn't do it without the right tool. Giving it another go this week with a buddy's DU bushing tool.

I have my doubts about clearance with the 2.25" (57mm) stroke shock. Will report back....

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm hoping this will work with a 2.1 tire at least. Did you get a set for both eyelets? How much was the set of bushings and did you purchase directly from burgtec, if so what size?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm hoping this will work with a 2.1 tire at least. Did you get a set for both eyelets? How much was the set of bushings and did you purchase directly from burgtec, if so what size?
    I got a set for both eyelets. Plan to try both and if that doesn't work, I'll try one. Was also eyeing up the cable guides on the seat tube. If they are the limiting factor I wouldn't be opposed to having em zapped. Only running a 1x10 set up and no need for them....

Complete set was $60-65 shipped from UK - USA. Per email with Burgtec, I got the 7002 kit.

If you have some time, I'll take some photos and post back with what works and what doesn't. I couldn't find anyone else who's gone this route so just risked it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    After speaking with Burgtec, the shock will be lengthened by a bit on each end when placing the offset bushing in opposite directions. the e2e then changes. My question is, will that put too much stress on the linkage or pivot? what do you think? I'm hoping this works.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    After speaking with Burgtec, the shock will be lengthened by a bit on each end when placing the offset bushing in opposite directions. the e2e then changes. My question is, will that put too much stress on the linkage or pivot? what do you think? I'm hoping this works.
    Ok maybe I am misunderstanding something...hence why I am wrenching on this tonight with a bike wizard of a buddy...but here's my understanding:

If you put the bushings in with the eyes toward the center of the shock, you're effectively reducing the e2e of the shock and "short-shocking" the bike a little bit. This is why your seat tube and HT get slacked out. The bike is now, at rest, sitting a bit into it's travel. This is also why I am worried about tire clearance with the 57mm shock.

Alternatively, if you put the bushings with the eyes away from the center of the shock, you've then lengthened your shock and will do the opposite of above to the bike's angles.

And last option would be to have the eyes in the same direction (i.e. toward the front or rear of the bike) and that would be just silly because all you're doing is moving the shock forward or backward but the e2e doesn't change nor do any of the angles.....

Will report back tonight.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ok verdict is in.

One offset bushing (front) works. Two does not. Reason being that the caps on the Burgtec bushings are a bit larger than stock and they hit the linkage where it begins to taper toward the rear of the bike. With a dremel or file I am sure we could get the rear bushing to work by filing some material off of the linkage, but I didn't have the time/gusto. There is enough clearance with a 26 x 2.5" (measured) rear tire and a 2.25" stroke shock. Jury is out if you'd clear with both bushings installed...it's getting tight in there.

Ride report with one bushing in was actually noticeable. The difference in steering felt similar to when I went from a 140-150mm fork. Honestly didn't notice a drop in BB. Overall I'd buy one bushing again and install it and never look back.

membrain if you want a bushing to try out, PM me. I'll give you my extra one for cheap. I don't plan to install it so mine as well help out somebody else!
    Last edited by cmscheip; 09-05-2014 at 10:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ya i'd be interested. Do you think there will be enough space for a 650b + 2.1 tire in the rear? Any chance you got pics?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Did you put on a 650b wheel in the back and check for clearance?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Re: Burgtec shock bushings and the Nickel 101

Did you put on a 650b wheel in the back and check for clearance?
    No but there's plenty of reports that a 650 / 57mm shock is no dice. Bushings won't affect that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    i know this thread is old, but cmscheip did you notice any negative effects of a slackened seat tube angle? does this mod slightly change wheel base at all?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    No negative effects. Honestly was a very small change overall. A bit more stable at speed, climbs virtually the same. You thinking about buying one?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    hmm maybe. not sure which route i want to go with my nickel at the moment....new shock, 650, maybe a dropper, or nothing :-( you still have that extra bushing?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestAir View Post
    hmm maybe. not sure which route i want to go with my nickel at the moment....new shock, 650, maybe a dropper, or nothing :-( you still have that extra bushing?
    Yep, I've got it squirreled away in the bike bin. $20 tyd if you want it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    ok thanks i'll keep that in mind. does using just one bushing instead of 2, result in short shocking the bike a bit?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by cmscheip View Post
    Ok verdict is in.

One offset bushing (front) works. Two does not. Reason being that the caps on the Burgtec bushings are a bit larger than stock and they hit the linkage where it begins to taper toward the rear of the bike. With a dremel or file I am sure we could get the rear bushing to work by filing some material off of the linkage, but I didn't have the time/gusto. There is enough clearance with a 26 x 2.5" (measured) rear tire and a 2.25" stroke shock. Jury is out if you'd clear with both bushings installed...it's getting tight in there.

Ride report with one bushing in was actually noticeable. The difference in steering felt similar to when I went from a 140-150mm fork. Honestly didn't notice a drop in BB. Overall I'd buy one bushing again and install it and never look back.

membrain if you want a bushing to try out, PM me. I'll give you my extra one for cheap. I don't plan to install it so mine as well help out somebody else!
    See my post above, bud.