mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bullits & air shocks? TNC ?

Currently running a 7.8" eie 5th on my Bullit with the shuttle forward - love the slack geometry. Just figured out that an 01' will take an 8.5" shock bolted directly to the frame - maintaining my current geometry. The curved seat post allows for full travel w/o tire contact like the later frames. I came across an 8.5" Float RP3 with AVA. Now I have read the reviews on the DHX's and Manitou 4 ways - any comments on the Float RP3 w/ AVA. FYI the shock was built for a Ventana FR frame that didn't make it into production. Thanx

TNC
    noMAD man
    Trying not to be negative, but I just haven't been too impressed with the RP3. That's a mighty big one you got there, so maybe the larger amount of air volume will help. All of the RP3s I've messed with at the shop so far have been a little harsh to me. The old Float R with an AVA chamber seems much plusher to me. I have seen some comments from some of the posters on mtbr about how good their PUSH'd RP3s are. It just seems the Propedal addition or some other mod to the RP3 line has made them almost too efficient. I hope it works well for you. To me, the Bullit needs a soft shock to be active, especially in small bump compliance.

For somewhat of a comparison to your bigger RP3, I used a 7.875 X 2.0 Manitou 4-Way Air on my '99 Bullit. It worked well but nothing special. I later used an 8.5 X 2.5 4-Way Air on it, and it was dramatically different...much more active and plush...very nice improvement. I'm thinking it was the larger air volume, the extra travel, or probably a combination of both. Perhaps the RP3 in that long a package will do the same.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Trying not to be negative, but I just haven't been too impressed with the RP3. That's a mighty big one you got there, so maybe the larger amount of air volume will help. All of the RP3s I've messed with at the shop so far have been a little harsh to me. The old Float R with an AVA chamber seems much plusher to me. I have seen some comments from some of the posters on mtbr about how good their PUSH'd RP3s are. It just seems the Propedal addition or some other mod to the RP3 line has made them almost too efficient. I hope it works well for you. To me, the Bullit needs a soft shock to be active, especially in small bump compliance.

For somewhat of a comparison to your bigger RP3, I used a 7.875 X 2.0 Manitou 4-Way Air on my '99 Bullit. It worked well but nothing special. I later used an 8.5 X 2.5 4-Way Air on it, and it was dramatically different...much more active and plush...very nice improvement. I'm thinking it was the larger air volume, the extra travel, or probably a combination of both. Perhaps the RP3 in that long a package will do the same.

I read the reviews on the regular RP3's and they concentrated on platform issues / problems. Like I mentioned this shock was mean't for a Ventana FR frame that didn't reach production. The 5th has worked fine but the other day I decided to see if an 8.5" shock would fit w/o the shuttle and it did - 7" travel. Then I thought hey I could save some weight and possibly fine tune the ride via air. I set the sag for DH and left it there w/ the spring - I don't care for spring swapping as it gets expensive. I may have to reconsider an air shock because I like a really active rear even for trail riding. The RP3 is interesting for the price, if money wasn't an object i'd probably look for an 8.5" 4 way.

TNC
    noMAD man

I kid you not.

Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I read the reviews on the regular RP3's and they concentrated on platform issues / problems. Like I mentioned this shock was mean't for a Ventana FR frame that didn't reach production. The 5th has worked fine but the other day I decided to see if an 8.5" shock would fit w/o the shuttle and it did - 7" travel. Then I thought hey I could save some weight and possibly fine tune the ride via air. I set the sag for DH and left it there w/ the spring - I don't care for spring swapping as it gets expensive. I may have to reconsider an air shock because I like a really active rear even for trail riding. The RP3 is interesting for the price, if money wasn't an object i'd probably look for an 8.5" 4 way.
    The DHX-Air turned out to be the best shock I've had on any of my Bullits...and you know I've tried a few. It has just the right amount of platform to keep pedaling efficient without negatively affecting small bump compliance. I haven't had the opportunity to try a Marz Roco or CC-DB of course. One of the plushest shocks I ever had on the Bullit was a Fox Vanilla RC. However, that shock was too active for even small pitchups and such, much less any long climbing. I would think a PUSH'd 8.5 X 2.5 RC would make a great ski resort shock or for a shuttle bike. With the longer RP3 that you obtained, it's definitely worth a try, as I still think the large air volume will diminish some of that RP3 harshness...hopefully.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    The DHX-Air turned out to be the best shock I've had on any of my Bullits...and you know I've tried a few. It has just the right amount of platform to keep pedaling efficient without negatively affecting small bump compliance. I haven't had the opportunity to try a Marz Roco or CC-DB of course. One of the plushest shocks I ever had on the Bullit was a Fox Vanilla RC. However, that shock was too active for even small pitchups and such, much less any long climbing. I would think a PUSH'd 8.5 X 2.5 RC would make a great ski resort shock or for a shuttle bike. With the longer RP3 that you obtained, it's definitely worth a try, as I still think the large air volume will diminish some of that RP3 harshness...hopefully.

The RP3 would be going on my 01' Bullit that I will use primarily as a trail bike. I run a 150mm Z1 up front and wonder will I notice a weight difference going to the air shock for the rear ? I am basically looking @ the air shock for weight savings or I would put a 8.5" 5th on the bike for the extra travel. Air will give me more travel plus lighter weight. My 5th pedals fine for me I could only imagine the air would pedal better ? My last air shock equipped bike was an Enduro that was a horrible pedaller, w/ an air shock, it just left a bad taste in my mouth concerning air shocks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Question TNC. I have a 2001 Bullit (M) with a 145mm Nixon fork. I want to make it have a 68d HA and convert to an air shock:

1. What size shock?
    2. How do I set the shuttle?

Thanks for you help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by edge
    Question TNC. I have a 2001 Bullit (M) with a 145mm Nixon fork. I want to make it have a 68d HA and convert to an air shock:

1. What size shock?
    2. How do I set the shuttle?

Thanks for you help.
    I might be able to shed a little light on your question. A bullit w/ a 8.5" eie shock coupled with a 544mm a-c height fork has a 68* HA - those are SC's spec's. First thing I would do is go to a hardware / builder supply and buy an angle protractor. This tool is around $10 and will allow you to measure your HA. Measure your current HA. Once you know your starting point you can adjust the shuttle to meet your desired HA. Personally I think you should be able to achieve a 68* HA with a stock 7.8" eie shock and the Nixon as it has a low a-c height (522mm I think ?)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I might be able to shed a little light on your question. A bullit w/ a 8.5" eie shock coupled with a 544mm a-c height fork has a 68* HA - those are SC's spec's. First thing I would do is go to a hardware / builder supply and buy an angle protractor. This tool is around $10 and will allow you to measure your HA. Measure your current HA. Once you know your starting point you can adjust the shuttle to meet your desired HA. Personally I think you should be able to achieve a 68* HA with a stock 7.8" eie shock and the Nixon as it has a low a-c height (522mm I think ?)
    Thanks, so I should look for a 7.875 x 2.25 air shock. I think that was the standard size on the 2001 bullits.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by edge
    Thanks, so I should look for a 7.875 x 2.25 air shock. I think that was the standard size on the 2001 bullits.
    You are going to find only one air shock in that size, as far as I know, which is the Fox DHX air - great shock but they cost $350 ish. If you ran a common sized air shock 7.875 x 2" your rear travel would drop close to 5". I have only run a Vanilla RC & 5th Element coil - TNC has the air shock experience but he really likes the DHX.