mtbr member
    Jun 2008

New question here. Bullit w/Granny gear...

hey all, been lurking a while... looking at reviews for year and finally bought a 2005 Bullit. I got it set up with a granny gear, middle gear, and bash guard in the front and 9-speed cassette in the back. I can't quite get the adjustment screws to eliminate the rub on the front chain rings. I'm wondering if the whole front derailleur is mounted too high or what. I'd love to have some input on this without paying my LBS to look at it. I've thrown too much money at them already... thoughts?

TNC
    noMAD man
    To start, what type of derailleur do you have as it relates to top or bottom mount and swing? Also are you sure your crankset is spaced properly on the drive side especially? Do you know how to set the height on a front derailleur? When you do away with the big ring and install a bash guard, the derailleur has the ability to be set lower than it was with the big ring in place. This gives you more optional positions at which height you find optimal for your application. If you have the right derailleur as it applies to top/bottom mount and swing position, you just need to experiment a bit to find the optimal height. Did this derailleur come off another bike?