mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Bullit Update of Shock and Fork for Increase in Handling

I have a 2000 Bullit with the Fox Vanilla RC Shock and a 5" Marzocchi Z1 Fork. The shock shuttle is all the way back for steeper head angle. (yes the Fork is 5")

The bike climbs real well. I am very happy with the climbing ability. Almost as good as my new Blur XC, and if the trail is real rough and technical, better than the Blur XC. Also will the handling of bike improve greatly.

I would like to make the Bullit go better through turns, over obstacles, and down steep hills. I want to aquire more confidence in its handling.

If I change the fork to a Van 36 RC2 (6") and the shock to a Fox DHX Air 8.5 x 2.5, will the bike climb as well as now, or better, or worse. I will try the shock shuttle back and forward. My guess for the shuttle position woulld be in the middle or front due to longer shock.

Also your opinions on the Talas RC2 and Marzocci 66SL or any other 6" fork. If I can keep the weight down great. Handling comes first.

Will the 20mm thru axle work with the Mavic Crossmax SL wheels. I have no Knowledge of thru axles except on my KTM motorcycle.

doug

I bought the Blur XC so I could climb faster and better. The Bullit I have climbs better and almost as fast. The new Blur XC will be used for the fire road rides mainly now.

TNC
    noMAD man

Don't go Talas.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTortoise
    I have a 2000 Bullit with the Fox Vanilla RC Shock and a 5" Marzocchi Z1 Fork. The shock shuttle is all the way back for steeper head angle. (yes the Fork is 5")

The bike climbs real well. I am very happy with the climbing ability. Almost as good as my new Blur XC, and if the trail is real rough and technical, better than the Blur XC. Also will the handling of bike improve greatly.

I would like to make the Bullit go better through turns, over obstacles, and down steep hills. I want to aquire more confidence in its handling.

If I change the fork to a Van 36 RC2 (6") and the shock to a Fox DHX Air 8.5 x 2.5, will the bike climb as well as now, or better, or worse. I will try the shock shuttle back and forward. My guess for the shuttle position woulld be in the middle or front due to longer shock.

Also your opinions on the Talas RC2 and Marzocci 66SL or any other 6" fork. If I can keep the weight down great. Handling comes first.

Will the 20mm thru axle work with the Mavic Crossmax SL wheels. I have no Knowledge of thru axles except on my KTM motorcycle.

doug

I bought the Blur XC so I could climb faster and better. The Bullit I have climbs better and almost as fast. The new Blur XC will be used for the fire road rides mainly now.
    At least not yet. Wait until Fox has the longer version and gets that "travel sinking" addressed. The Van 36 is a better match to your Bullit. The 66SL is also an equally viable option. I don't know of any SL wheels that allow 20mm conversion. If you want to stick with CrossMax wheels, get a front XL model, as it will convert between regular QR and 20mm. Several of us locally, through our shop, have XLs, and they are tough, durable, and surprisingly light. IMO SLs are maybe a little too light for any real Bullit application.

The 8.5 X 2.5 Fox DHX-Air shock and Van 36 or 66SL fork would work extremely well on any Bullit. My Bullits are set up in similar manner. Your choice of shuttle position has a lot to do with preference. There are really only two positions unless you remove the shuttle and modify the shock spacers or frame to bolt the shock directly to the frame. I don't recommend that for most people, but it is doable. I run both my Bullits in the most forward shuttle position for the slackest setting and have no trouble climbing...even without any fork travel reduction.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Again TNC, thanks.

So to upgrade to 6" travel I need the new shock and fork plus rims. Getting up there in price.

If I just upgrade the fork to a good 5" (which one do prefer) and maybe do a 7.87x2.25 shock would this be better than the 2000 suspension stuff, or should I just spend the extra money for the XL rims too. I love light rims. I don't make big jumps or do big air. Just tech trails, with roots, rocks and such.

The bike now is great. It is much better than the Blur XC I bought for the tech trails. I just want to make it faster and faster, but keep the cross country flavor. Listening to you from other replys too the Van 36 and the DHX 8.5 x 2.25 is the way to go. I just spent $3200 on a mistake (we all make them) and I budgeted only 2K more for upgrade. I can't test drive, so I want to make sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Also TNC,

What about a Talas fork. Called Cambriabike and they said the Talas had intelligence built in to differentiate between the rider pushing on fork and the ground. Makes for a better climbing fork.

doug

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    {QUOTE} I would like to make the Bullit go better through turns, over obstacles, and down steep hills. I want to aquire more confidence in its handling.

More suspension will help the Bullit go over things better but not necesarilly handle better. More suspension will raise the BB height. My 01' Bullit has a 150mm Z1 and a 7.87 x 2.25 rear shock which yeilds a low 13.5" BB height w/ the shuttle forward. Personally, I never liked the 8.5" shock shuttled mounted - I am into steeper head angles w/ low BB heights. I ran an 8.5" shock and a 550mm a-c fork - felt too tall but rolled over everything in its path.