mtbr member

bullit shock choice

I have one of the last bullit 1s. it came with a progressive 5th element coil shock. unfortunately, the shock really doens't want to work anymore and nobody seems to want to fix it. i see that the new bullits come with a dhx air. so, here's my question. being a 160 lbs xc geek, who built this bike to ride to the bar and occasionally do some resort type riding, would i be better off with the dhx air over the coil?
    Last edited by packfill; 06-06-2007 at 06:44 AM.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Well, I'm usually slamming the DHX Air for its lack of mid-stroke support on bikes that require relatively higher spring rates...like most linkage bikes. I hated the DHXA on my Nomad. That said, I have one on my '03 Bullit, and it works darned well. The Bullit is by comparison a relatively low spring rate design, so apparently that's why the DHXA works on the Bullit. You're a good 25lbs. lighter than me, so I think it would work for you. In fact I think the Bullit loses some small and mid-stroke compliance with many of the other shocks available. I had two different length DHX coil models on my Bullit at different times, and I sold both because there they were a little harsh in mid-travel for my taste. A PUSH mod would have rectified that, I think, but they weren't on the radar at that time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Evolver Shock on Bullit

I have been exploring options for the back of my bullit also. I have a Heckler with a 4-way air on the back, and that made the biggest improvement to that bike. Since I am a really big Manitou fan, I am planning on putting their new Evolver ISX-4 on the bike in early July. Blue Sky Cycles has some coming in, and I will be getting one. The SPV will give it the platform to pedal and the swingers have been more reliable for me than the Fox shox.

I was re-building my Bullit last night until 0100. Using TNC's as a model, I put a wide array of lighter components on it, and just riding around my neighborhood last night, it was a completely new bike. I will post a picture tonight of the Bullit after a partial weight loss program. The front fork and rear shock are the last two things to go, I am thinking a Lyric coil, maybe a totem. I would like the front fork to be under 6 lbs.

Goal is 33 lbs flat....

mtbr member
    thanks for the input. any idea what size the mounting hardware is for the frame? i've been told that the correct shock size is 8.5" x 2.5". will the hardware out of the progressive work in the fox?

TNC
    noMAD man
    packfill, the eyelet hardware will swap perfectly between those two shocks.

TNC
    noMAD man
    JCH, that ISX-4 should work out well IMO. I have a 4-Way Air on my older '99 Bullit, and it works great. I believe the ISX-4 is supposed to be an improvement over the older shock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Yeah, I hope it is nice, but with their factory moving and all, it looks like production may be delayed.

I just take it one day at a time, using a simple 12 step plan. Deep in my heart I know I can make it until I can get the new rear air shock.

Front fork, that 2008 Fox 36 Van with the QR 20mm front looks pretty sweet...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by packfill
    I have one of the last bullit 1s. it came with a progressive 5th element coil shock. unfortunately, the shock really doens't want to work anymore and nobody seems to want to fix it. i see that the new bullits come with a dhx air. so, here's my question. being a 160 lbs xc geek, who built this bike to ride to the bar and occasionally do some resort type riding, would i be better off with the dhx air over the coil?
    Hey if you want another 5th element coil i have a brand new one that i took off my bullit.I will sell it to you for $100 shipped.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    same problem . . . mines an '03 is i worh sending it back to progressive , or just upgrade? any suggestions? ( 210 lb rider on a med frame)

TNC
    noMAD man
    Actually the 5th E coil was an excellent shock and especially so for the Bullit.

No e-drama please!!
    I have a perfectly funtioning 5th element 8.5 x 2.5" for $115 with 325# or 425# spring. $100

The only reason i bought a Manitiou Swinger4-way is because i got a good deal on one to try it out.It works like the 5th.. I was going to use the 5th for a backup shock for DH racing,but i'm not going to race,so i'll just sell it.

DEMO8
    Santa Cruz Bullit
    Bianchi SASS

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Evolver

My evolver is on order through a LBS (no where online had it). As soon as arrives I will post a picture of my reborn Bullit.

Even with the 5th element on the back, the new light build feels great. I put on the Havoc wheelset and landed a 5 footer transition with confidence.

The fork is still my old Manitou Slider Plus.... it will have to stay until I can save up the G for a Totem Solo-air.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motomack86
    Hey if you want another 5th element coil i have a brand new one that i took off my bullit.I will sell it to you for $100 shipped.

hey moto,

sill have the shock?

thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by packfill
    hey moto,

sill have the shock?

thanks
    Sold the shock awhile back.

Members who have read this thread: 0