mtbr member

Bullit to the Head!

I Broke my Bullit. I' m screwed, skint, with no insurance and I'm not sure if I can claim on accidental damage to property on House insurance either .Even if I can they only pay out £500 (yes i'm english) for a 'pedal bicycle' and I think thats only if it gets nicked. Not happy.

I can't even buy a repacement swingarm as it's a discontinued model i think (about 2000)

Moral of story: Get insurance and if you hear any creaking check for cracks/don't use bike again until insurance policy is sorted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TNC
    noMAD man
    Give us some details. Did that seem to occur catastrophically or slowly? Were you JRA, or was there a drop or other event when it went? We don't get to see many broken Bullits around here, so the gory details are always interesting...for the macabre amonst us...LOL!

On the swingarm interchangability, I thought all Bullit swingarms were interchangeable...so maybe SC doesn't have any spare Bullit parts left? On the other hand, SC usually will let an owner swap or upgrade to another model in such cases, at least from my past experience. We just got a main frame on an '03 Bullit warrantied this month, so I thought they still had spare parts.

mtbr member
    It Had Been creaking for a little while but I Thought that was just the shock. I know creaking aluminium is usually an indication of worse to come but I didn't really think anything of it.

It was right at the start of a race on sunday I wasn't doing anything to crazy and was working fine on the way there and was alright when I was warming up. I think the extra stress of me pedalling really hard was too much and it all grinded to a halt- as did my race!

I Haven't started loking at ways to repair it and I'm sure there are swingarms out there that could get it running again. I Haven't contacted SC but I'm sure it's out of warranty. My Local bikeshop owner (AJR) said the swingarm could be one of the most expensive parts to replace on a bullit due to the complex work on one of them. Bit strapped for cash at the moment so i'm just gonna see what can be done.

It's just a shame becasue it's a good bike if a little old or "ghetto" looks like i'm gonna be on my jump bike for a while!

TNC
    noMAD man

SC has a replacement program.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiffman
    It Had Been creaking for a little while but I Thought that was just the shock. I know creaking aluminium is usually an indication of worse to come but I didn't really think anything of it.

It was right at the start of a race on sunday I wasn't doing anything to crazy and was working fine on the way there and was alright when I was warming up. I think the extra stress of me pedalling really hard was too much and it all grinded to a halt- as did my race!

I Haven't started loking at ways to repair it and I'm sure there are swingarms out there that could get it running again. I Haven't contacted SC but I'm sure it's out of warranty. My Local bikeshop owner (AJR) said the swingarm could be one of the most expensive parts to replace on a bullit due to the complex work on one of them. Bit strapped for cash at the moment so i'm just gonna see what can be done.

It's just a shame becasue it's a good bike if a little old or "ghetto" looks like i'm gonna be on my jump bike for a while!
    I don't know if you're aware of it, but SC doesn't warranty anything "fully" after a year. They use a fairly good replacement program for a waaaay reduced price for front or rear frame components on full suspension models. Our customer's Bullit main frame is being replaced fairly cheap...$200, I believe was the cost of the part. If we build it back up, there will be additional charges, of course. If he builds it, then he's good to go.

mtbr member
    I thought it wouldn't be covered by anything but I'll look into it. I'm gonna check for European SC distributers but i'll go back to AJR for that. It'll get it sorted somehow!

If anyone has a mangled front end and they're not using the swingarm! Actually that's not going to happen if it costs so little for replacement parts.

29 some of the time...
    Drop me an email (dsb1829@sbcglobal.net). I have a 2000 polished swingarm. I upgraded to a 2003 for 8" rotor. I am sure we could work something out

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Santa cruz will sell you a replacment for $275. Send them yours with the money + pay for shipping and you will get an 8" compatible swingarm. I have a 2001 Bullit w/ a perfect swingarm but every few months I contemplate getting an 8" freindly one.

mtbr member
    $275 is about £190 ish. I dunno about shipping but it'll probably be over £200 so I'm gonna have to see if I can get any money back on house insurance or rob a bank. Then I'll get back to you / see what SC can offer me. Thanks for your help

mtbr member
    Looks to me like you might have over-torqued that bolt!