mtbr member

Bullit.2 First Ride - Impressions + Help

Just picked up my Bullit.2 from Adventure bikes in Gilbert, AZ on Saturday. Size Large with RFR kit, DHX 3.0, RS Domain 318, 150mm rear...etc. I'm a big guy at 6'1" 235lbs and will be using this bike for everything. The bike looks exceptional, clean lines. If there's one thing I wish SC would do it's get rid of the sloping top tube and just throw in a separate tubeset for the seattube brace, more like a VP free, but that's just asthetics.

First Ride Impression.

Weight. Didn't weight the bike myself but shop said it came in at 39lbs with the stock 2.5 Kenda rubbers. Not a big deal, but I would like to shave some weight if possible and still maintain the burliness.

Sizing is smallish.. I prefer a long top tube bike and the claimed 24" top tube seems way shorter than what I was hoping for. This was a huge bummer for me as I have a long upper torso and was hoping to keep the shorter stem. The stem is 65mm and even with the seat rolled back into the Evolve DH post, It feels way short on the climbs for my long torso. I need some recommendations on posts that are 30.6mm and will offset alot more than the RF.

Gearing.. is set at 24/36 in front and 12/32 rear. For my hefty butt I need more granny. I'll be replacing the stock rear cassette and throwing on a 22t granny.

Brakes: I've always been a huge Hayes guy, the avid's seem underpowered for my weight, but I like the ON/OFF of the hayes alot. They modulate well, and I'm sure these will be great as soon as I get them dialed in a bit. The lever reach adjuster is a bit of a pain to get to without loosening the whole lever.

Suspension.. The DHX 3 is plush and rides smooth. Honestly I don't play with my suspension too much other than rebound. The stock spring is probably way too soft for my weight but I can live with that. It performed well.

Fork.. I'm a huge marzocchi fan and my past experiences with Rock shox have been all bad. The Domain comes in 1.5 head tube model, which is kind of a bummer if you're trying to resell or find a longer stem. It soaked up the small stuff well and even afew short 2' or so drops. The construction looks solid. I'll most likely switch this out to a Marzocchi and sell the Domain. at some point, but It did perform well for a first ride with little stiction.

Shifters... My experiences with SRAM shifters in the past are that the shifting is great, but I can't keep my thumbs from downshifting over anything. I moved the shift pods in as far as I can on my bars but I'm hoping I can overcome this because I do like the shift action. And am not too stoked on having to change out pods and derailleur for shimano right away.

Ride... Stiff, Stiff, as with my past bullit. Climbing again was a pain with the short reach and I felt the front end wandering all over the place on some of the short climbs. The bonus is the ride down. Absolutely smooth at speed. Braking bumps did give some bucking coming down, but the bike tracks incredibly well and handles like a BMX bike. Tight switchbacks were handled with ease.

I'm hoping that somebody can help me with recommendations for stem/seatpost combo I can come up with to increase the reach and maybee shave some weight. I'm not really keen on laid back posts as they look like hell and don't allow enough seat adjustment for the downhills.

I also was told that with the 150mm rear end and Gigapipe bottom bracket that the options for switching my crankset to my almost new RF atlas combo from my last bike bike won't work, and also that the throw of the saint front derailleur only works well on the stock hussefelt setup. I was hoping to lighten this up a bit for all around use. What are my options there?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    i ordered the large bullit aswell since iam a bigboy also.
    perhaps you should look at the fsa gravity line they got an 1.5 stem that goes up to 90mm

iam glad to read something from the large riders because i find it difficult to decide what stem lenght should be the best option for us tall guys

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    i got one of these they seemed to have the most layback i could find, you'd obviously have to shim it out to fit http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...px?ModelID=723

Some Assembly Required
    I used to ride a med. Bullit, med. VP Free now, and the Bullit seemed cramped to me too & I'm only 5'10". The VP Free has a lil longer top tube & feels a lot better to me. There are times when you'll be glad you have a smaller bike, i.e. in the air, but for the most part I wanted a longer top tube on my Bullit the entire time I rode it. I just got used to it and made do with it for a yr or 3 & then bought a VP Free. I was czechen out a new white Bullit at my LBS yesterday....nice bike, I hope you can dial yours in and enjoy it as much as I did mine....
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member

Post Found

I went to the shop where I bought the bike and found a Easton EC70 Carbon Post. I hate having to shell out more $$ just to get a bike to fit right, but I must say that the extra few bucks and 25 millimeters more setback made a huge difference. I did an early morning ride and the fit feels way better.

The gearing is next fix. If you are a big rider be prepared to shell out more $$ to get fit and gearing right on the bullit.2. I must say the downhills have been way nicer than my last bike which was a 150mm Kona coiler. Overall I'm really stoked, now if somebody could turn the thermostat down in phoenix area to a reasonable 90degrees I'd be stoked

TNC
    noMAD man
    Ouch!...yeah, that's an expensive post. I wish I would have recommended the Salsa Shaft post which also has 25mm of setback and a unique rail clamp and angle adjustment.

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Ouch!...yeah, that's an expensive post. I wish I would have recommended the Salsa Shaft post which also has 25mm of setback and a unique rail clamp and angle adjustment.
    That's a good post too, (Salsa Shaft). I rode one for a coupl'a yrs on my old Rocky Mtn. Reaper ht.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Members who have read this thread: 0