mtbr member
    Oct 2006

bullet dhx air midstroke problem?

hi,

for the moment I ride a yeti asx with dhx air. I notice that it blows through midstroke too fast. I am seriously thinking of buying a bullit to replace my yeti. the coil version is a little heavy, so I wanna go for het airshock. another question. what about a nomad for technical dh riding. is vpp ok for very steep and technical vertriding?

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Quote Originally Posted by nosewheely
    hi,

for the moment I ride a yeti asx with dhx air. I notice that it blows through midstroke too fast. I am seriously thinking of buying a bullit to replace my yeti. the coil version is a little heavy, so I wanna go for het airshock. another question. what about a nomad for technical dh riding. is vpp ok for very steep and technical vertriding?

1st - How much do you weigh ??
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I weigh 81kg.

I weigh 81kg.

ASX vs. Bullit....178 lbs and you're already blowing through the travel....Bullit will be the same way IMO. They basically have the same configuration and would react about the same I would think.
    The Nomad will be even higher leverage and most likely blow through the travel for you as quick or quicker than you are getting w/the ASX. I rode an 04 Bullit for 2 yrs and then a VP Free for 2 more and just recently bought a Nomad, however I've never ridden anything but coils on them. That said, most people who ride them that are close to 200 lbs find they blow through the travel like you describe.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I race super D with it. (megavalanche...) that's why bike weight is important for me. in july I raced the alpe d'huez megavalanche with the dhx air. I had to put 235 lbs in to get the right amount of sag and on the alpine rocky section I bottomed out frequently, even with bottom out resistance in the hardest position. very unpleasant while racing. I was also thinking of a coil nomad. What do you think?

Bullit MaDnEsS
    ...did you tried another shock? I have the same problem with the Bullit and the DHX Air (but no bottom out).

I race super D with it. (megavalanche...) that's why bike weight is important for me. in july I raced the alpe d'huez megavalanche with the dhx air. I had to put 235 lbs in to get the right amount of sag and on the alpine rocky section I bottomed out frequently, even with bottom out resistance in the hardest position. very unpleasant while racing. I was also thinking of a coil nomad. What do you think?
    Nomad coil = Good

VP Free coil = Better

VP Free rides better dh and deals with dh type obstacles better, this is due to the weight of the VP Free IMO. Nomad feels more like an all mtn bike. I've ridden both with identical setups, same shock, fork, brakes, wheels, tires, etc... and the VP Free just handles dh better in all aspects, IMO. Wanna lighten up, but sacrifice some handling and bump compliance, go with the Nomad. Nomad is doeable for dh.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ok! thanx for the advice.

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    Just a thought, other companies make lower volume air shocks like RockShox. Maybe you've heard of them?

Might be worth getting a shock with lower volume that ramps up faster. This might help if you don't want to go the coil route. The DHX Air and high-volume version of the Float both ramp up more slowly and could be perceived as being less progressive than a low volume Float or another air shock with a smaller air volume.

Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by brettf
    Just a thought, other companies make lower volume air shocks like RockShox. Maybe you've heard of them?

Might be worth getting a shock with lower volume that ramps up faster. This might help if you don't want to go the coil route. The DHX Air and high-volume version of the Float both ramp up more slowly and could be perceived as being less progressive than a low volume Float or another air shock with a smaller air volume.

Hope this helps...
    There are those who are running a DHX air w/a RP23 can w/good results for that matter. I still recommend coil. Specifically I recommend the Cane Creek Double Barrel, the shock I ran on my VP Free and now on my Nomad. It won 1st, 2nd and 4th at the US National DH Championships in July. Best shock to be had on the market, presently.

http://www.canecreek.com/double_barrel.html

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    There are those who are running a DHX air w/a RP23 can w/good results for that matter. I still recommend coil. Specifically I recommend the Cane Creek Double Barrel, the shock I ran on my VP Free and now on my Nomad. It won 1st, 2nd and 4th at the US National DH Championships in July. Best shock to be had on the market, presently.

http://www.canecreek.com/double_barrel.html
    That's very interesting with the DHX and Float air sleeve. If I had a DHX that would be my first experiment. You can find air cans here and there for cheap and if you really wanted to order from Fox, they'll get one to you for $30 or so, which isn't pennies, but it's worth that to me for some experimenting....

I'm going to look for some more information on this...

more carbon=more awesome
    I have done this mod on my old bullit and it solved my bottoming out problems. I put a float small volume can on my dhx air and I'm pretty happy with it now. I can actually tune the bottom out resistance and run close to 30% sag. I have noticed that a number of bikes like the new Bullit and the new GTs come standard with the low volume canister if they are specced with the dhx Air.
    I can't comment on how it compares with other shocks on the market, since my only comparison is the original Vanilla RC coil, but it is head and shoulders above that at least.

b.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.