mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Build plan for SOLO

I'm planning to get a SOLOc, and I've been researching and crunching the numbers to figure out the best build for the money.

It's usually significantly cheaper to buy a complete bike than to get the parts separately, but the kit prices from Santa Cruz don't look like a good deal. I could put together a similar or better build for about the same or even lower cost. The X01 kit looked like it would be about the same cost either way, so it looks like a good way to go. It costs more than the SPX (XT) kit, but I think I'd like the 1x11 and it saves some weight.

Compared to the X01 kit, the XX1 level kit has XTR vs. XT brakes, carbon vs. alloy bars, a carbon vs. alloy crankset, a Thomson stem, a higher end headset, and a slightly lighter saddle. I don't think I could tell the difference between XT and XTR brakes or the different headset, I'd want to change the bars anyway, I already have a Thomson stem I can use, and the saddle weight difference is insignificant. The main difference in weight between XX1 and X01 is the crankset, so I could just buy an X0 crankset or swap with the one on my hardtail. So the extra cost of the XX1 kit doesn't seem worth it for me.

The stock wheels are heavier than I need (I weigh 155). The best deal for the money would probably be a set of stock ZTR Arch EX wheels, or I could get something really nice like some Industry Nine Torch wheels. They aren't cheap, but they cost a lot less than the Enve wheels and are lighter and probably just as stiff and have quicker hub engagement.

So here is the plan:
    - SOLOc with kashima shock upgrade
    - XX1 kit
    - upgrade wheels to I9 Torch
    - upgrade crankset to X0, and change chainring to Wolf Tooth with a bashguard, since I like a bashguard in the rocky terrain I ride
    - change bars to Haven carbon
    - sell the stock wheels, tires, bars, and cranks

This should give me a build close to the XX1 Enve weight and performance while saving a lot of money.

Any thoughts/feedback on this plan?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    [QUOTE=jabrabu;10524380] and probably just as stiff

Or not...............

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    [QUOTE=The #1 Dude;10525761]
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    and probably just as stiff

Or not...............
    Yeah, maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get the ENVEs. A couple of friends have said that they've had issues with the I9's, like spokes loosening and breaking.

mtbr member

Re: Build plan for SOLO

If you can afford it, get the enve. I believe you can upgrade the rear DT hub with higher POE.
    Did you already sell your TRc?
    I would like to hear from you how these 2 bikes compare.
    So go ahead and build it quickly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    If you can afford it, get the enve.
    Did you already sell your TRc?
    I would like to hear from you how these 2 bikes compare.
    So go ahead and build it quickly.
    I can't afford it, but I might do it anyway. :-)

I need to decide between the X01 and XX1 kit. The X01 looks like it might be a better deal. They said the X01 kit will be available in about 10 days, and it retails for $1400 less. From what I've read, the main weight difference between XX1 and X01 is in the cranks. X01 uses alloy cranks (essentially the X9 crank arms) vs. the XX1 carbon cranks. The cassette only weighs a few grams more, and everything else is about the same.

Other upgrades from the X01 to XX1 kits are:
    XT to XTR brakes (I doubt if I could tell the difference. I have XT brakes on my bikes now and really like them.)
    Alloy to carbon Easton Havoc bars (at 750mm I think these are too wide for me and I'll change them anyway)
    Truvativ AKA to Thomson stem (I already have a Thomson stem I can use)
    Cane Creek 40 to Cane Creek 110 headset (I won't be able to tell a difference. I have a Cane Creek 40 on my Tallboy and it works fine.)
    Slightly lighter saddle (the weight difference is less than 20g)

So, I'm thinking I could get the X01 kit and upgrade the cranks and bars and have pretty much the same weight and performance as XX1 and save a lot of money, almost enough to cover the cost of Enves. What do you think?

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Build plan for SOLO

I thought XX1 cranks were just last years X0 cranks with a different paint job. If that's the case, why get alloy X01 cranks when you could try to pick up carbon X0 cranks and put a new chainring on?

Some are sold without the spider and that saves money. I have an MRP ring on my X0 cranks.

in this article, xx1 chainring and spider are used.

SRAM X0 11-Speed XX1-Style Drivetrain Likely Coming Soon, Hack Your Own Now

personally, I like ditching the spider for a ring that is integrated as one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Exactly. That's why I was saying I could get the X01 kit and easily upgrade the cranks. I have carbon X0 crankarms on my hardtail with an MRP (soon to be Wolf Tooth) spiderless chainring set up as a 1x10. I could either swap and put the alloy cranks on my hardtail or just sell them and buy some X0 crankarms. I could also go with either a Wolf Tooth ring or a North Shore Billet spider so that I can add a bashguard.

mtbr member
    I went through the same thought process as you. I ended up purchasing an SPX AM build from my LBS and swapped out everything that I did not want. They are great with taking back parts and giving good credit for them, which is nice since I really did not want to go through the hassle of selling them myself.

I am switching out the original components for these:

XX1 drivetrain
    Either Easton Havoc Carbon, Race Face SIXC DH or Enve Riser bar
    Either Easton Haven or Syntace Megaforce 2 stem
    Specialized Henge seat
    Nobby Nic 2.25 tires

The wheels have been my toughest decision and I am having a tough time with deciding between i9 Torch Trail, i9 Torch Trail SL Carbon or Enve wheels. The i9 Carbons use Reynolds rims.
    Last edited by bauhaus; 07-12-2013 at 10:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    bauhaus, is that a SOLO that you bought? I was just told by my dealer that frames won't be available for 5 or 6 weeks.

That's an interesting plan to get the SPX kit and swap the drivetrain for XX1. It makes sense since the SPX kit is $400 less than the X01 kit. You can get a complete XX1 drivetrain for $1000, and probably get about half of that back by selling the XT drivetrain.

I have a Tallboy that I got with the SPX kit. I've done the following upgrades over the past couple of years:
    Frameskins
    Cytoe bashguard
    XTR Trail pedals
    X0 triple crankset, 22/33/bash
    Homebrewed components bashguard
    XT Shadow-plus mid-cage rear derailleur
    XT double front derailleur
    DT Swiss 36T star ratchet upgrade
    DT Swiss RWS 10mm thru-axle
    Easton EC70 XC Wide handlebars
    ESI Chunky grips
    - RP23 custom tuned by PUSH

mtbr member
    Yeah, I bought a Solo. It is still at my LBS awaiting the XX1 drivetrain and whatever else I decide to swap out. They have had Solos for a couple of weeks now. No stand alone frames, just complete builds. I do not think that frames will be available for a while.

I currently have a Tallboy with a pretty similar build as you:

XT Trail pedals
    XT Triple crankset, 24/32/Hope bash
    Cytoe pivot guard
    XT Shadow Plus med-cage rear derailleur
    XT front derailleur
    Roval Control Trail carbon wheels with DT Swiss 36T star rachet
    Easton Haven carbon handlebars
    Thomson stem
    Renthal Kevlar gripa
    RP23 shock
    Fox Talas 120/95 fork

Love my carbon rims - wish that the Rovals came in 27.5. Just do not know if it is worth the extra $ for the Enve or i9/Reynolds carbons over the aluminum i9 Torch wheels.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Here's my upcoming build based on the SPXAM27 kit

FRAME: Santa Cruz Solo C - Large - Orange
    FORK: Rockshox Revelation RCT3 Solo Air 140mm
    REAR DER: Shimano M785 SGS (XT) 10spd
    FRONT DER: Shimano M781 (XT) 10spd
    SHIFTERS: Shimano M780 (XT) 10spd
    CRANKSET: Shimano M780 24/32/42 (XT) 10spd - big ring dropped replacing with bash
    CASSETTE: Shimano M771, 11-36 (XT) 10spd
    CHAIN: Shimano HG 75 10spd
    BRAKES: Shimano XT w/ 180mm front 160mm rear Ice Tech rotors
    BARS: Easton Havoc Carbon 750mm
    STEM: Thomson 70mm
    GRIPS: Lizard Skin Peaty lock on
    HEADSET: Cane Creek 40
    SEAT POST: Reverb Stealth 125mm
    SADDLE: WTB Volt SLT Ti
    WHEELS: Arch EX on King Hubs
    TIRES FRONT: Maxxis High Roller II 2.3 EXO Tubeless Ready Kevlar
    TIRES REAR: Maxxis Ardent 2.25 EXO Tubeless Ready Kevlar

Red items indicate modifications to build kit

Once I kill off the rear derailleur I'll go to a mid-cage length as well as an XTR cassette when the XT dies. I strongly considered the XO1 kit but know I'll need and appreciate the range of a middle and small ring + bash. Plus I think the aluminum cranks might hold up better in my terrain. I'm super finicky with my builds and am used to XTR/XO 9 spd setups. This will be a gentle departure from that I think. Looking forward to rolling this thing out