mtbr member

Are Bronsons Small?

A question for Bronson owners, do they size small?

I'm all set to buy a Bronson C and almost ordered a Large. This would be my first SC bike but I've owned large bikes in Ibis, Turner, Yeti and Giant. I am 6' with a 32" inseam. I've parking lot ridden both a Large and XL and from that small bit of info I kinda fit either.

I was leaning towards an XL but mentally I can't get around the idea of buying an XL because it doesn't seem right that I would ride an XL. I did a very scientific test of leaning the XL against my Large Sultan and they were very close in reach, etc.

Anyone else share this sizing issue? Won't have a chance for a full demo and I'm looking for some reassurance before I drop 6K on the wrong size.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'3. Can normally fit a large (and I prefer to for the shorter wb) And I went XL. Riding the large on the trail was super poppy and playful going down but a bear going back up. I have a short torso and long legs... I also rode the XL and it felt a bit more planted on the descents. It still felt very nimble and fun on jumps but more planted in wide open stuff. It also climbed much more comfortably.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

bog
    mtbr member
    Santa Cruz seems to size their bikes funny if you look at their sizing charts. I'm 6'5" and the XL is on the small side for me. It would be OK but a bit short for any decent climbing. The Bronson is bigger than the Nomad which was a good move but they still fit small compared to most other brands.
    SC Tallboy C : SC Nomad 3 : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by castnblastut View Post
    I am 6' with a 32" inseam. I've parking lot ridden both a Large and XL and from that small bit of info I kinda fit either.
    For whatever it's worth I'm 6' 1.5" or so and my large fits great with a 70 mm stem. Would not want the XL, and I've got long arms and legs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OGRipper View Post
    For whatever it's worth I'm 6' 1.5" or so and my large fits great with a 70 mm stem. Would not want the XL, and I've got long arms and legs.
    Thanks, I was thinking I would want a longer stem if I went L also. I've actually been riding shorter stems last few years and I was wondering how much the Bronson was designed with a shorty in mind. Begs the question, what is too long a stem for a Bronson?

Glad to know that it isn't my imagination that they run small though. Oddly I jumped on an XL Tallboy at a buddy's shop and it was obviously way too big for me. Gonna try to pull the trigger tomorrow so...still dunno.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm 6'2" and ride a XL Bronson with a 50mm stem and 750mm wide bars. I could ride a L but would have to run a longer stem. The XL feels great. It is basically the same setup as my XL Nomad was, the only difference is the stand over height is slightly more on the Bronson.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by castnblastut View Post
    Thanks, I was thinking I would want a longer stem if I went L also. I've actually been riding shorter stems last few years and I was wondering how much the Bronson was designed with a shorty in mind. Begs the question, what is too long a stem for a Bronson?

Glad to know that it isn't my imagination that they run small though. Oddly I jumped on an XL Tallboy at a buddy's shop and it was obviously way too big for me. Gonna try to pull the trigger tomorrow so...still dunno.
    Have we reached the point where 70 mm is a "long" stem? I don't really see it that way, but I'm old enough to remember when 120 mm stems were the norm (LOL). Anyway, these bikes reward a weight-forward riding position (up and down) and at 70 mm I can get weight over the front wheel yet still have that short stem feeling.

mtbr member
    Got off the pot and ordered one. Spent the last few days in Moab sayin "I'll bet the my new Bronson would have been the perfect bike for this." Got a set of I9's on the way for it also.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    At the Santa Cruz bike demo today the rep said email them with requests for an XXL Bronson. He said someone that works for them is 6'5" and really wants on too. That if enough people request it they would logically make one like they did the TBLTc. The XL Bronson felt smaller than the Nomad XL and the TBLTc XL that I rode. I don't really understand why but I really didn't like it. I'm 6'4".

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    For the record they do size small. The XXL TBLTc has the same top tube measurement as an XL Yeti SB66.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I am 187 cm (6.135 feet) tall. According to the SC size chart I am between L and XL in Bronson sizing. I am currently riding a Specialized Stumpjumper carbon Evo in size large with a 50 mm stem. I feel that it fits me pretty nice.

I have tried to compare the geometry charts between the Stumpy and the Bronson. The Stumpy has a 617 mm top tube and the Bronson has a 635 mm top tube in XL and 609,6 toptube in L.

However, the stated reach for the Stumpy is 442 mm. For the Bronson the reach in XL is 447,9 mm and 428,1 mm in L.

Looking at the numbers I am leaning towards the XL Bronson as I like to ride a 50 mm stem and wide bars.

Is there anyone who has any experience in size comparison between these two bikes or generally have an opinion on how SC and Specialized measure the reach?