mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Bronson XO-1 with Enve upgrade - Hubs?

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a Bronson XO-1 and do the Enve upgrade. Just one question though, the XO-1 kit originally comes with WTB rims laced to DT350 hubs, but if I do the Enve upgrade, I wouldn't want to have TaiWan made DT hubs on my wheels. So, does anyone think that if you pay the extra 1700USD for the Enve upgrade, you get the DT240s too?

Bicycle Obsessed
    According to the spec part list on competitivecyclist.com you get:
    Hubs: DT Swiss 240s
    Rims: ENVE AM 27.5

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have a Tallboy 2 with the Enve upgrade and they are the DT Swiss hubs

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by emejay View Post
    I have a Tallboy 2 with the Enve upgrade and they are the DT Swiss hubs
    Yeah, but what kits you bike comes with and which DT hubs? The 240s or 350?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Do the DT240 hubs on the Enve wheels come with the 18t or the 36t star ratchet?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The hubs you get reflect the package. The X0 and XT packages come with the DT350 hubs!

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    Do the DT240 hubs on the Enve wheels come with the 18t or the 36t star ratchet?
    Mine came with 18t 240s. I concurrently purchased the 36t and immediately upgraded. Even still, this is the minimal amount of engagement acceptable to me and I miss having more, like on my other hubs.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I had wheelbuilder.com lace me up a set of Enves w the new I9 hubs after I picked up my carbon Bronson. Couldn't be happier w the wheels as well as service I received from wheelbuilder

Warrior's Society
    Is the Enve upgrade the same price across all the kits?

If it is....I would imagine that they would come with the 240s.

Seems like it defeats the purpose of offering a $1700 upgrade for wheels and putting XT hubs on it.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Seems like if it is a straight across upgrade fee then the hubs would be the same as with the kit they were originally offered with. Therefore with an XO1 build through a bike shop directly ordered through Santa Cruz I would expect dt 350 hubs. There is a big difference in the price jump from X01 to XX1 in their pricing matrix, should account for upgraded hubs, Carbon bars and a few other minor changes.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    My XX1 kit with Enve's has 240's

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I would guess SC just have a stock of prebuilt Enve's on DT240S hubs and thats what you get regardless of model.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    To the OP. If I was interested in the X01 build kit with Enve wheels I would just have my bike shop call or email Santa Cruz with your question and see what they say.

mtbr member
    SC Dealer here can confirm that SPX kit with Enve upgrade shipped w/DT 350 hubs. Enve upgrade DOES NOT mean automatic 240 hubs unless something has changed very recently.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    That sucks. I have looked at the aftermarket Enve AM wheels that come DT 240s hubs and DT Aerolite spokes. A lot of the weight savings on those wheels come from the hubs and spokes. If you use DT 350 hubs and for example DT Comp spokes, a big part of the weight advantage compared to normal wheels goes away. Of course carbon wheels will still be stiffer and all that, but in my opinion the upgrade is NOT worth the 1800€ extra anymore (price where I live). I would rather buy a normal build with alu wheels, sell them as new for 300€, and buy aftermarket Enve AM wheelset with 240s hubs and Aerolite spokes which are 1990€ here. This way I would pay only 1690€ extra for Enve upgrade and get better hubs and spokes. I think Santa Cruz should get their **** together and only sell the Enve upgrade with 240s and Aerolite.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mehukatti View Post
    That sucks. I have looked at the aftermarket Enve AM wheels that come DT 240s hubs and DT Aerolite spokes. A lot of the weight savings on those wheels come from the hubs and spokes. If you use DT 350 hubs and for example DT Comp spokes, a big part of the weight advantage compared to normal wheels goes away. Of course carbon wheels will still be stiffer and all that, but in my opinion the upgrade is NOT worth the 1800€ extra anymore (price where I live). I would rather buy a normal build with alu wheels, sell them as new for 300€, and buy aftermarket Enve AM wheelset with 240s hubs and Aerolite spokes which are 1990€ here. This way I would pay only 1690€ extra for Enve upgrade and get better hubs and spokes. I think Santa Cruz should get their **** together and only sell the Enve upgrade with 240s and Aerolite.
    That's exactly why I am opening this post. It seems that the Enve upgrade is only reasonable with the XX1 kit. If I am paying $1800 extra for a wheelset, I want them to be THE ultimate wheelset. Giving me hubs and spokes that are not top level doesn't make sense at all. I'd rather they ask me for $2000 to upgrade the rims to Enve and give me the 240s hubs and aerolite spokes. I am now really considering the SPX kit only...