mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Bronson X01 and XX1 chairing?

Just wondering what size chairing everyone is running on their 11 speed Bronsons.

Mine came with a 34T and while I don't have any great difficulties climbing I do quite often find myself wishing I had a slightly easier gear.

After doing a little testing on a long straight downhill road, I was able to hit over 55kph without my pedals spinning out. On an off road trail I would usually hit 30kph top speed, maybe a little faster on a boring straight fire trail.

So I don't think it would hurt to put a smaller chairing on. I was thinking maybe a 30T. Anyone think this would make much of a difference? And I'd like to know what sizes everyone else runs.

mtbr member
    28T on XX1. 42/28 = 1.5. There are some long steep grinding climbs where I ride and I prefer to sit and spin a high cadence for them, especially to protect my knees. I would of course spin out earlier, but that's not an issue for me. I have friends who ride downhill faster that get frustrated by this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I was planning on getting a 30T when I go to a 1x11 set up later this year; however, lately I've been "practicing" what a 1x will be like and just using my 32 middle ring (I have a 3x10 set up on my Bronson). I haven't had many problems climbing with 32x36 as my easiest gear. Now, I'll be ordering the 1x11 with a 32T front.

I don't think I'm quite fit enough for a 34T up front.

Giggitty giggitty!!
    I ordered my Bronson with X01 and chose a 32T option. My prior bike had a 2x9 and i pretty much eliminated the small. So when I got my Bronson with X01 i went with 32T and that way when i need it (and I do) i still have the 42T big in the rear. I haven't found myself thinking I need a 30T, but when I go do bike rides in Colorado will definitely have a 30T on there. Unless you're in a pretty flat place or fit as F**k, I wouldn't suggest a 34.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    32t on mine in Phoenix area. Happy with it most of the time. If I were going to ride in Flag much I would go 30t. XX-1

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I came off a 26" wheel with 3x9 (22/34/44) and never used the granny. When I got the bronson, I started with a 34t but found it was a little difficult in the early season on long climbs and I never used the 10t in back. I picked up a 32 and while manageable, after about 30 miles I was starting to struggle and was wasted after 40 miles. I finally put a 30t on it and have been happy. I'll spin out on paved road occasionally but not on the dirt.

mtbr member
    I have the 32t and am considering going to 30t. Of course I could always just get a little stronger and keep the 32t.

mtbr member
    34 will make you strong, but it may also make you feel your knees! I went 32 and still wished for a little more on steep fire roads here in NorCal and have no regrets with a 30 now.

Note: xo and xx1 chainrings aren't interchangeable which was a surprise to me nada little silly. Just in case this affects you.
    http://www.mountainbikeSF.com - Guided Mountain Biking in the San Francisco Bay Area

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks for all the feedback... Im running X01 and just ordered the 30T. Should be in this week. I'll post my thoughts after a decent ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Good call. I started on a 34 (in the Colorado front range) and it was too much for me on the long climbs. Switched to a 30 and it's been great, I never feel I'm lacking a gear on the bottom end and I never spin out on the trail (sometimes on the road on the way to/from a trail, but that's not really important to me).

mtbr member
    ^^ This! Stronger riders might get away with a 32 (or 34) but 30 for trail use is just about perfect for me, especially if you have steep sustained climbs.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I quite like the 30 I have on mine.
    High Intensity Interval Training and Weights Program:
    http://www.maxworkoutsguide.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I struggled with this yesterday. After 25 miles in Utah, I was smoked. I made it, but my knee is sore. I don't know whether I have a 34 or a 32, but I'm going to find out and order a 30. When going with a smaller ring, have people had to remove a link from their chain?

mtbr member
    I went from 34 down to 28 and did not remove any links.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    My Bronson has a 34. It was fine when I was fresh yesterday but I began to labor with it later in the ride. Going to try a 32 first. Based on my birt bike experience, 2 teeth in the front is usually a significant/noticeable change.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I've been riding the 30t for 2 weeks now. It was definetly a worth while change for me. Been on 3 rides and havnt spun out at all yet.

The easiest gear very rarely gets used, but it is nice having for some super steep climbs when you'd absolutely buggered.

Saying that the hardest gear very rarely gets used to. So the 30t is probably perfect for me!