mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Bronson V2 removing lower link, do I need to remove crank arms?

I'm starting to get some creaking and noise under load, so I want to pull both the upper and lower links (one at a time), to clean and check bearings etc, lube the axels etc. However this will be the first time working on vpp linkage.

Do I need to remove the crank arms to get the lower link out? If I have to take the crank arms (race face turbine) off, do I start down the rabbit hole of pulling/checking the bottom bracket which I'm guessing I'll need to find a tool to pull?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Both the pivot bolts on the lower VPP link are on the non drive side so you should be able to remove them without pulling the crank.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Here is s a link that contains some good info.

Noises from the suspension are not always what you think. It could be the bearings, but it could also be the axles/hardware not torqued right, dirt in between the bearing covers, etc, etc. you'll need tools, specifically a torque wrench so before you begin read up.

greasing vvp 3 lower link, best practice?
    Last edited by BluePitch; 10-16-2016 at 06:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Thanks for the link, it definitely helped. I pulled both links tonight. The lower I pushed new grease in until all the old dirty grease was out. I'm really glad I pulled the link as it would have made an ungodly mess in the bike.

In the upper link the lower set of bearings (where the rear triangle connects) looked light on grease for my tastes so I wiped clean and packed more marine grease in there.

The upper bearings looks good, however it seems to be a different grease. That grease was different in color and seemed a thinner viscosity, but since it was well packed I just replaced the seal and reassembled. Is that normal?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    Thanks for the link, it definitely helped. I pulled both links tonight. The lower I pushed new grease in until all the old dirty grease was out. I'm really glad I pulled the link as it would have made an ungodly mess in the bike.

In the upper link the lower set of bearings (where the rear triangle connects) looked light on grease for my tastes so I wiped clean and packed more marine grease in there.

The upper bearings looks good, however it seems to be a different grease. That grease was different in color and seemed a thinner viscosity, but since it was well packed I just replaced the seal and reassembled. Is that normal?
    Yes my upper bearings had a red color grease in them. Not sure why it's different.....less likely to get wet, smaller bearings, different leverage/torque loads? I read a forum member was putting a different kind of grease in them but I forget which grease and why.

One thing I have found is my creak/noise is usually not from the bearings, it's dirt getting introduced somewhere. Mine is usually the area where the bearing cover meets the frame. Incorrectly torquing the axles and hardware is another source of creeks.

Once you get the routine down you can pull apart the whole suspension and have it back together a lot faster and maintaining the VPP becomes second nature. Unless you live in a very wet geographic area dirt getting introduced will be more of a concern than the bearings losing grease.