mtbr member

New question here. Bronson upgrades

Hi, I bought a used 2015 XL Bronson C and so far it been a blast to ride, but I saw Chainreaction is having a sale on Shimano items. Wondering what are some compatible items that would fit the Bronson R build. Everything is stock on my bike since this is my first MTB and fairly new. I would like to upgrade the brakes and rotors to XT? Front derailleur? Maybe get the reverb dropper post from Roxshocks? I just dont know what will work with my setup and can only match whats on the CC XT build.

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009
    i'd say go for the dropper post first.

mtbr member
    ^^^^^agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    +1 Dropper is the first upgrade to do on any bike. Then I'd do the 1up Conversion (32T [Race Face single narraow] up front and 40T in the rear). Even if your new to riding and need to get in better shape just do it. It will be a nice upgrade to compliment the dropper post upgrade. It sounds lame but it's also one less thing to think about when riding.

After that I'd do some custom stickers. It's a proven fact they make you go waaaay faster!

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Another vote for a dropper. Don't know how I used to ride without one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Here are some meaningful upgrades:

1. Dropper
    2. Suspension (a Cane Creek shock)
    3. 1x11 drive train
    4. Wheels (carbon)

Upgrades to the brakes or to another 2x10 drivetrain aren't going to give you much. Marginally "better" performance and a slight weight loss. The components listed above with make a game-changing difference to how your bike rides, roughly in the order listed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Here are some meaningful upgrades:

1. Dropper
    2. Suspension (a Cane Creek shock)
    3. 1x11 drive train
    4. Wheels (carbon)

Upgrades to the brakes or to another 2x10 drivetrain aren't going to give you much. Marginally "better" performance and a slight weight loss. The components listed above with make a game-changing difference to how your bike rides, roughly in the order listed.
    That's a cool $2500.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by swoodbrn View Post
    That's a cool $2500.
    Well I didn't say do it all at once. Just do these first. Upgrading a front derailleur is literally the worst use of bike upgrade money I can think of. Since the OP is suggesting that or upgrading the rotors (the other biggest waste of money I can think of), I thought I'd try to educate him or her.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ohfosho View Post
    this is my first MTB and fairly new
    Take a skills class. IMBA/ICP, BetterRide, LeeLikesBikes.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    A better use of your time and money than anything suggested thus far.

mtbr member
    Okay thanks, I went and got a dropper post. It was an item I wanted from the get-go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Just to give you additional confidence in your recent purchase, my dropper post pooped-the-bed and I had to send it into RS for warranty/replacement. In the interim I'm rocking a rigid seatpost and it literally frustrates me so much I want to punch random things.

mtbr member
    yeah I'll look out for that. I just wish the QR worked on carbon, I would have been happy with that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Good call on the dropper post. A OneUp 40T or 42T rear and a narrow wide front is another economical upgrade. Ditch the front derailleur and lose some weight there. After that, save up for a Pike.

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat, with the same exact bike with the same stock R build. Had to get the lower build spec. to keep from sleeping on the couch for the rest of the year. Worst idea ever. 250 miles on the bike so far, and 3 enduros on rocky and steep east coast singletrack. Here's my advice.

First off, the Sektor is absolute garbage. I already have play and knock in my lower stanchions, and to get correct sag for my weight (200 lbs) I have to set it at around 20 psi, which obviously doesn't work worth shit. I have it set at 70 psi which equates to like 5% sag, and it still bottoms out. And clangs. A lot. I'm actually dropping it off at the shop later today because RS already warrantied out my lowers. Get a Pike. ASAP.

The Deore brakes are fine for trail riding, but get cooked quick if you do any DH or park stuff. My last race was basically a 5 stage DH race with all lift transfers, and my brake fade was ridiculous all day long. Towards the end of each stage I was deathgripping the rear, and it did almost nothing.

The SRAM hubs are just great too. My rear loosens up about every other week, usually while I'm in the middle of a rocky as piss ride.

The FOX CTD actually isn't that bad. It's really easy to dial in, and I drop the PSI a bit for DH, and bump it back up for trail riding.

So as everyone else mentioned, get a dropper, go to a 1x11 setup, and then I would suggest new fork, brakes, and wheels. In that order.

BTW, who's running chain guides with their 1x setup? What's a good guide that matches up well?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mudforlunch View Post
    Get a Pike. ASAP.

The Deore brakes are fine for trail riding, but get cooked quick if you do any DH or park stuff. My last race was basically a 5 stage DH race with all lift transfers, and my brake fade was ridiculous all day long. Towards the end of each stage I was deathgripping the rear, and it did almost nothing.
    The X-Fusion Sweep is a possible alternative for the Pike. I have read good reviews comparing the two forks and the Sweep seems to stack up against the Pike very well. It is considerably cheaper.

On the brakes, would it help to switch the pads? My buddy with XT brakes on his Bronson said that braking performance diminished after switching from the resin pads to metal ones.
    Formerly Icantdrive65

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist View Post
    The X-Fusion Sweep is a possible alternative for the Pike. I have read good reviews comparing the two forks and the Sweep seems to stack up against the Pike very well. It is considerably cheaper.

On the brakes, would it help to switch the pads? My buddy with XT brakes on his Bronson said that braking performance diminished after switching from the resin pads to metal ones.
    Stock pads, as far as I know they came with resin pads. I think the calipers just overheat easily on steep stuff. They are only Deore, after all. Going to switch to Shimano Zees with Ice Rotors. Putting a bigger rotor on the rear too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Putting a dropper post on my Bronson literally changed my riding overnight. Not having to constantly change the seat height or find something in the middle all the time
    Made my rides a lot better (smoother, better flow, etc). Oddly it also gave me the confidence to start tackling larger drops and jumps.

Next up I'd but better brakes, being a Clyde, the dual piston brakes tend to not be powerful enough to stop me on long descents. Leaning towards a 4 piston brake, saints or zee's.

Shock, the fox rp23 air can is alright but I'm in the process of throwing on a cane creek here within a. Few weeks time as I can tell this shock will not handle the bigger hits/drops I'm giving it now nits starting to bottom out a lot especially if I'm in an area with multiple drops/large hits Ina row, it just can't handle the abuse.

Fourth would be wheels. The wtb rims are fine, however the sram mh742's or whatever they are called are based on the pawls system and being a Clyde this is just not a good choice. I can literally shred a free body hub in command, well not literally but it feels like it. I'd change these out for dr Swiss or Chris kings.

That's my list of immediate upgrades, I'm working on a items 2/3. As I figured I might as well destroy the parts instead of replacing them immediately.

Regards

Steve

I suffer from fat finger syndrome and a tiny keyboard on an iPhone. So I apologize for the typos and misspellings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    That is where the money should go especially since you are just starting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Avid is spelled wrong, there should be an 'O' in there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ohfosho View Post
    yeah I'll look out for that. I just wish the QR worked on carbon, I would have been happy with that.
    Not sure what you mean by this, but I'm pretty sure you can get a quick release for all SC bikes, including the carbon ones. Just order the one from SC, it's probably the nicest QR I've ever had. Unless all of your riding is straight up and then straight down for a significant period of time I'd still go for a dropper.

https://shop.santacruzbicycles.com/p...ar-34-9mm.html