mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Bronson suspension setup

Hello, Just got my new Bronson last week. Been working on the suspension to get it dialed.

For general trail/all mountain riding what sag are you running front and rear? How are you checking the rear sag? I have noticed that when I measure the sag, it doesn't seem I am getting consistent values. This especially noticeable when adding 20# of air, the sag doesn't decrease much, but when I try it again the sag is closer to what I expected???

Seals not broken in enough? I checked the swing arm/shock pivots and all move like they should.

I get on the bike in riding position, all suspension in descend, rock back and forth on it a bit, sit in riding position for 15 seconds or so, hand on wall to balance, slide o-rings to seal and slowly dismount and measure.

Fox Float 34 @150mm - 2014
    Fox Float CTD shock.

Thanks,
    L

mtbr member
    You're not supposed to rock back and forth, that's why you keep getting different readings. You just sit on the bike and get off the bike, then read the sag. To set your sag put the o-ring up against the shock body, sit on the bike and then dismount. That should give you an accurate reading of where your sag is at.

mtbr member

Bronson suspension setup

I have been running about 25%sag front and rear on mine seems pretty good for the trails I'm riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mint355 View Post
    I have been running about 25%sag front and rear on mine seems pretty good for the trails I'm riding.
    Thanks, on measuring the fork sag, the fork is not fully extended, when I get off the bike. Do you measure sag including this amount, or do you just take a percentage of usable travel and measure when you get off the bike (without full extending fork).

The front end is washing out more than I would like. Running the HansD front tire. It feels like the front riding higher than it should.

Thanks for your help,
    L.

mtbr member
    The most important thing you can to do to improve the handling of your Bronson is to set your sag. When you sit on your bike your bike ‘sags’ or compresses under your weight. The amount of sag affects handling by changing the ride height of your bike fore and aft. Sag is the amount the springs compress between fully topped out and fully loaded with the rider on board in riding position.

With all your gear on, sit on the bike in your normal riding position. Push the O-ring down to the shock. Get off the bike without further compressing the shock. Then measure the distance from the O-ring to the shock. Aim for 25-35%. 45mm is 30% for 150mm fork. Mine is at 30% sag and feels dialed.

After the sag is dialed in, set your compression and rebound to full open and then ride a section of your typical trail. Make small changes based on feel. I ended up at the Soft setting for Trail Adjust (compression) and four clicks in on rebound.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Subscribe

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for your help! I lowered the fork pressure to 67-68PSI, lowered front tire to 28PSI.... and the big difference was on the rear shock. I had the rear compression mistakenly set to one, cranked it up to 3. Now the rear end is riding higher up in the travel... making the front tire bite and steer better.

I may try out a little longer stem too. Right now it is 70mm. This is my first AM bike, normally I am XC, not sure how it is supposed to feel.

Also thinking that the Fox fork seals are a little tight and may switch to aftermarket... but of course the trade off there is longevity.

L

mtbr member

Bronson suspension setup

Would recommend changing out what fluid is left in the fork from the assembly line.

Swapped out the fluid on mine last week and removed the cheap white assembly grease from the seals and it's really smooth.

Not sure I would go any more than the 70mm stem? Bronson suspension setup-imageuploadedbytapatalk1378132187.039811.jpg

Took mine to its homeland yesterday honestly the best Santa Cruz I've ridden so far IMO

mtbr member
    I'm having trouble getting the rear suspension (Float CTD Boost Valve shock) set properly. If I set the sag to 25% the shock bottoms out on hits that are not that big. (In descend setting) It seems that it does not ramp up much towards the end of stroke. Pedal platform and CTD settings all seem to work properly I've set up several bikes before so I know how to set sag. On my Intense Uzzi VP I run 30% sag without a problem. I'm wondering if I got a bum shock or is this the tune Santa Cruz spec'd for this bike. Anyone else having similar issues?

EDIT: I just read about the availability of air spring spacers from Fox for the 2013 shock. I'm not sure if mine is a 2013 or 2014 but does anyone have any experience doing this on a Bronson?

Changing 2013 FLOAT CTD Air Spring Compression Ratios
    Last edited by CalEpic; 09-08-2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: new info

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    FWIW, I definitely recommend bouncing on your bike when setting sag. Air shocks have a lot of stiction and bouncing breaks through it.

Mount the bike, bounce up and down, get in a neutral position, reset the o-ring to the seal and dismount.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lancerif1 View Post

The front end is washing out more than I would like. Running the HansD front tire. It feels like the front riding higher than it should.

L.
    FWIW, I had a similar complaint and realized I had to actively lean too far forward to get the front end weighted for cornering. I put a longer stem (80mm) and it helped a little bit. But today I just finished a shake down with a new handlebar, moving from the stock RF Ride 720mm to a 780mm Answer Pro Taper. Massive transformation. Not only did the traction come back with the wider bar forcing my torso forward, the handling no longer feels slightly awkward. Just natural, intuitive handling and technical gnar is easier with the leverage. Being my first 780mm bar, it was a calculated hunch to fix my issue, but it turned out better than expected. The bike absolutely rails now.

Hopefully you will find the same results with your experimentation soon!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    FWIW, I definitely recommend bouncing on your bike when setting sag. Air shocks have a lot of stiction and bouncing breaks through it.

Mount the bike, bounce up and down, get in a neutral position, reset the o-ring to the seal and dismount.
    This. Too many people think you just get on your bike and get off carefully. You're supposed to cycle the shock a few times by bouncing or even riding it around the block. Then come to a stop on an even surface, reset the o ring and see where it stands.