mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Bronson / solo decisions for - canadian nth shore or sea to sky corridor ?

HI All,
    I have read so many bronson /solo forums on here and struggle to work out whats best for the north shore riding up here in Nth Vancouver Canada that I do.
    Sorry if this posting is very similar to others but I am struggling to find some info regarding our riding area, it seems through my travels and hearing from others the nth shore is great terrain to see how a bike holds up and performs.

Currently I ride a giant trance 5" 32mm fox fork and 4.5" fox rp23 rear travel & 69 head angle.
    I am looking for a slacker head angle like the bronson has, but is it possible 6" travel is too much for a pedalling bike for our area, even though everyone says its a great pedalling bike, our riding seems to be good grunts either straight up and then straight down or is the solo not going to be able to handle the terrain we have here, even though my giant trance has taken 4 good years of solid nth shore riding.
    I ride as hard as possible down or up and enjoy the techy terrain we have in our back yards.
    Do I go slacker to a bronson 67 HA or solo 68 HA with a beefy 34mm fork reduced to 140mm ?
    I'm hoping there are some fellow Canadians/Americans that are riding one or both of these bikes around the same area/ trails, be it Nth Vancouver, Squamish or Whistler that can help with my thoughts and ideas.
    I ride everything from skinnes, jumps to the techy steeps so I enjoy all terrain, long rides as well.
    The giant as stood up to all of this over the time but I'm looking at up grading and handing the giant I love over to my wife and selling her old bike.
    I will be going to carbon as it has stood the test of time & 1x11 drive train.
    I'll appreciate input from all out there maybe you have a bronson or solo and have ridden our terrain before but not at the moment either way it would be great to hear from you.
    Thx
    Ad

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Having only been to your riding area once, and I live in SC riding area, I can't imagine that you'd want a Solo over a Bronson.

I'd for sure go Bronson on a long fork.

Solo is a XC bike with a little bit of trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hi Rensho,

yes I see you view for sure and thats what I was thinking, then I thought maybe a solo with a 34mm 140mm fork would be better but I did read in another forum that then that throws the seat angle off which then in turn your back to a bronson angles give or take a little.
    Are you riding a bronson ?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    If you're competent then a Solo will be fine maybe with a longer travel front fork.

If you're more of a noob or hope to use the bike on more aggressive terrain then go with the Bronson. It pedals fine.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by AdMoore View Post
    Hi Rensho,

yes I see you view for sure and thats what I was thinking, then I thought maybe a solo with a 34mm 140mm fork would be better but I did read in another forum that then that throws the seat angle off which then in turn your back to a bronson angles give or take a little.
    Are you riding a bronson ?
    I'm not on a Bronson but have been considering buying one. Your riding area is 1-2 steps up from ours. Our tech trails are your Blue runs.
    The Bronson pedals very well, much much better than my Nomadc.