Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Bronson sizing L vs XL

I own an aluminum Bronson in size L. I like it quite a lot, but it's my first SC bike and the sizing is a touch weird.

I'm 6'2 with long legs and monkey ams. I ride L in most manufacturers and tend to prefer sizing just slightly smaller vs larger given the technical rock-crawly nature of the riding I do in Arizona.

However, the size L Bronson is ever-so-slightly too small even with a 70mm stem.

And I want carbon for some reason.

I have the opportunity to order an XL carbon Bronson without a shock (which is what I want) for a fantastic price. I'll run it with a 50mm stem, but I'm concerned I'll find it too big. I won't have the opportunity to test-fit first.

Anyone been in a similar boat? Appreciate any insight.

mtbr member
    If its that good of a deal, I'm sure you could turn around and sell it if its too big.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    That won't be too big for you - Get the XL frame, That's the right size for you in my opinion. I'm 5'11, average proprtions and I wouldn't want to fit anyone much bigger than myself on a size L Bronson. I own a size L Bronson in Aluminum myself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I am 6 2 with monkey like proportions, could not imagine riding my Bronson in anything but XL

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I am 6'4" and Santa Cruz decided they weren't interested in making a Bronson for people of above average height. Their XL is really an L.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Thanks. Carbon XL order placed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Did you get the frame yet? I'm in the same boat, 6'2" with the same monkey proportions. Was the XL a fit?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Still awaiting delivery.

mtbr member
    XL with a 60mm stem should be fine

ps, nice bike!
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'm in the same boat. Am 6"1 with monkey arms and a 34" inseam. Currently own a TBLTc in Large with 140mm float 34, 75mm stem stacked on 20mm spacers. Getting lower back aches from riding after 5 miles.

Am wondering if i should have gotten a XL frame instead or if there's something wrong with me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I am 6-2"~3" and have an XL Bronson, my legs are longer than my arms too. Actually have not rode mine yet (waiting on tires) but demo'd multiple XL bronson's with 50mm stems and XL solo's for a couple days. I also rode a Large Solo for a 27mi trip one day also. It had a 70mm stem on it... The owner was around 5-10"-6'. It felt small for me even with the 70mm stem.

I got an XL, I'd day if you are under 6' probably look more towards a L and over that look XL and above. I think there are a lot of places that state SC sizing is a little small. Their L is somewhere between most others med and larges. It's all feel really. At the demo day I told them I was looking for a bronson and they said I hope you are looking to ride an XL size.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am a lanky and long torso 6' with a 33" inseam. I run an XL Bronson with a 60mm stem.

mtbr member
    ya you're XL all the way, interested to see how you think it feels in the handling department with a shorter stem/larger frame, v the smaller frame/longer stem

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Blatant, did you ever get the XL set up? Please give us monkey armed 6-2ers a report

Cheers

mtbr member
    I'm the same, 6'2" and lanky, running an XL BronsonC since last year. Love it, would definitely not go smaller. 50-60mm stem works great. I also had the 150mm Float fork upped to 160 and have been loving that mod.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I have the opportunity to order an XL carbon Bronson without a shock (which is what I want) for a fantastic price. I'll run it with a 50mm stem, but I'm concerned I'll find it too big. I won't have the opportunity to test-fit first.
    I've gone back and forth on sizing with my Nomad. Even so far as to swap front triangles to go from a XL to L. Bottomline I can ride both sizes just fine. I prefer the fit on the XL a bit more, but I prefer the shorter wheelbase on the L better due to my tight forest trails.

I would go for it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Sorry about that. Yes, I've been on the XL Bronson-C for several months. Incredible bike. After owning the metal version in size L, there is no question that XL is the proper size for me. I run a 50mm stem with 31-inch bars. Dead-on perfect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I just finally got mine put together and have had some decent weather this week so have a ride scheduled for tomorrow. I'm 6-2", with slightly shorter arms compared to my legs, XL Bronson C with a 50mm stem with 750mm bars. Hoping I don't have to switch stems out to a 70mm one after tomorrows ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks Boys, appreciate the reports...got a alu (metal! \m/) XL with a LEV dropper and 60x750 stem/bars on the way, will let ya guys know how she rolls after a couple good gallops

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    What size stems are you all using? with evenly proportioned arms/torso?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Apologies for slack, not very familiar with this site, and its a bit hard for a computer tard like me to navigate

Anyway, XL bronson is a dream! couldn't imagine riding anything smaller after giving it the gallops in all kinds of terrain...climbs very well (locked out on smooth granny steeps, trail or full on rougher techy stuff), decends like a champ... super responsive, yet very stable/forgiving as well

FWIW, talked to Cedric Gracia a bit before ordering, and he runs both Large and XL, depending on the track type...XL for anything super high speed, L for 'whippy' decents...figuring as how his decending capabilities and action far surpass my own, with climbing of secondary importance, I gathered from his insight that the XL would be the best fit for myself

BTW, did shorten stem down to 50mm after messing around and adjusting stack height before cutting steer tube

Hope this helps any 6-2ers out there wondering about which size "Bro Son" to go for...likewise, thank YOU all for your reports on your own experiences with such; it was a big help to me, not being able to demo anything, and thus going in blind, so to speak

So thanks and Cheers!

Happy Trals,

gillford

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just want to also chime in here and say the XL is a perfect fit at 6'1.5''...

I was not able to size one in person and I went off everything I read here and was very happy that I took the risk and went with the XL!

bike addict
    Jan 2004
    i'm 6'2" , i ride a L. it's great when the going gets downhill and technical or if you wanna be playful. on long climbs or hammerfest sections, the longer fit of the XL would be better.

next SC will be XL.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
    i'm 6'2" , i ride a L. it's great when the going gets downhill and technical or if you wanna be playful. on long climbs or hammerfest sections, the longer fit of the XL would be better.

next SC will be XL.
    What size stem are you running?

bike addict
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ross86 View Post
    What size stem are you running?
    Raceface Turbine 60mm stem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast