mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Bronson shock other than the stock float or even the Kashima.

So I have a Bronson XL frame ordered and currently have just the base stock shock (float CTD). I have been throwing around the idea of trying to swap it over to the 200$ upgraded Kashima/trail adjust that SC offers. I'm not even sure if it's worth the 200$ to upgrade or now..

I could also keep what I have, and sell it to get either a float x or a can creek DC air. But it's stroke might be hard to sell idk?

The float x review I read didn't speak too highly of it.

The Cane Creek DB Air CS review seemed to be more positive.

Not sure if it's even going to be worth the trouble if the Kashima will be all I'll need with a Pike up front. Since I won't be doing a lot of 100% aggressive downhill stuff all the time.

Is it possible to order a frame without a shock on it at all from SC?

mtbr member
    I'd call your retailer or SC and see if they can sell a frame with no shock. I recall reading a post about someone that did buy a Bronson frame with no shock.

FWIW my Bronson came witha Float CTD and I just ordered a Cane Creek DB Air CS. I was also considering the '14 RockShox Monarch Plus RC3. The Float CTD shock isn't worth much and the DB Air isn't user serviceable (at least for me). I intend to keep my Float shock so I have a spare to run whenever I send the DB Air off for servicing.
    I have a black belt in MS Paint.

2013 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon
    2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp Carbon 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I had a solo and upgraded the front the Fox Kashima 140s and the rear to Kashima,

My friend runs the CCDB it takes some setting up but very good, if you want a less faffy one get the fox

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Bronson shock other than the stock float or even the Kashima.-037.jpgBronson shock other than the stock float or even the Kashima.-046.jpgI put a Rockshox Monarch plus rc3 on mine. I had the Fox Float ctd trail adjust with kaskima and found that it would not keep up with a Pike fork. If sag was set at 30 percent, the fox will blow through its travel. Poor excuse for a shock on a expensive frame. You could also try a Bikeco shock. They will set it up for your weight and type of riding. Do a search on both. Lots of info on them both.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    pdq-What size Bronson and have you tried to fit a bottle+cage in there by chance?

mtbr member
    It will definitely be difficult if not impossible to fit bottle in there with CCDBA - it's huge. I'm just going to get my fox PUSH'd. They tuned my RP23 on my TRc and it feels ridiculously good now. Best $200 I've spent in a long time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've just never seen a definitive answer on whether or not a small or large bottle will work with a CCDBA or Monarch Plus (little smaller) and what size frames if any.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    pdq-What size Bronson and have you tried to fit a bottle+cage in there by chance?
    The frame size is an XL. Tomorrow I can mount a cage and post a picture for u.