All bike, all the time

Bronson and Pivot Firebird 27.5 Compared: Is more travel better for 27.5/650b?

Got a chance at Sea Otter to hop on the Bronson and the new Pivot Firebird 27.5 (a conversion). Our take on the two in a kind of mini-shootout.
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

PSA: don't bother clicking the link - its useless

Quote Originally Posted by BikeIntelligencer View Post
    Got a chance at Sea Otter to hop on the Bronson and the new Pivot Firebird 27.5 (a conversion). Our take on the two in a kind of mini-shootout.
    parking lot tests are not material for reviews. Your conclusion is that you don't "get" 650b from riding around the midway at sea otter?
    I was hoping for some real ride comparison. More than a few of your comments (how shorter riders don't need as much travel as someone like you?) show some shortcomings in the process.

oh, and the fact that you didn't ride them both on a trail (and nowhere around laguna seca qualifies for a 6 inch bike, unless you raced the slalom or DH - and even then barely). duh.
    here we go again

All bike, all the time
    Good points...as I tried to address in the review itself. Shorter riders aren't a matter of travel but simply physics. As I said, there may be a rider-height-to-wheelsize ratio that defines the "sweet spot" for any platform choice. In any case you're right, the proof for you won't come till you get some real ride time!
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    welp, this thread went well

Whoa, the Firebird has a BB Height of 14.1 inches.... wow

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yep, 14.1 will be a bit like riding a beach ball.

Personally I am a bit dissappointed with Pivot's effort here because that have some good bikes out there, basically they haven't ponied up and made a specific frame for the wheel size. Whereas the Bronson from inception (granted, they changed course in the design phase) is made for 650B. It is fine tuned for the wheel size.

The Pivot's travel will mask a lot of the short falls for a lot of riders, but for the discerning rider, my bet is the Bronson has it.

I guess Pivot is getting the punter hooked (ie the punter pays for development), gauging take up and then they might make a better version 2 - I hope so for their sake.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Haha.