mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Bronson/Pike adjustment

I've got a 2015 Bronson with a pike fork. Yesterday I noticed I only used 4 of the 6" or travel even after bashing through miles or gnarly terrain. What is the best way to softened the fork slightly without causing it to ride deeper in the stroke? I think I should have used 5" yesterday, saving the final 1" for case or g-out..

Reduce air pressure? This makes me think I will ride deeper in the stroke and my sag is 20% now.

Remove a rubber rung thing? Those spacers reduce the overall air chamber volume if I understand them correctly. This is what I feel like I need to do.

mtbr member
    Seems like you could run 25% sag and see how you like it. Don't forget to adjust your rebound accordingly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The sag is set right were the bike shope recommended, They helped me set it. Ill take it to the shop and see what they say and I'll post up what I find out.

A 5% (7.5mm) increase is sag will dramatically effect the way the bike handles.

mtbr member
    Definitely remove a token and see how it feels. 20% is the sweet spot for setting sag on the Pike (make sure you're in attack mode - standing with hands and feet at even pressure). Since you state 6" travel I'll assume you have the 160 Pike. I've done extensive testing and zero tokens is best for trail riding. One token if you do any decent sized drops and jumps. Go fast on the rebound - only 4 clicks for trail/DH, 6 clicks for FR. Set the LSC just so the fork doesn't dive when braking/cornering (8 clicks in for me).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:52 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Does rider weight have much effect on whether one should use a token or not?

I'm only 170 lbs all geared up.

mtbr member
    Rider weight and rider style. If under 200 lbs then don't need one unless you use your Bronson for light freeride (I'm using one token; 170 lbs geared). If over 200 lbs then add a token to what I said (1 for trail and 2 for light FR).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:55 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    can you use a token on the dual position Pike? i weigh about 175/180 all kitted up. i prolly dont need a token do i? Im on a Blur LTc and just got a Pike. running around 25% sag.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    20% is the sweet spot for setting sag on the Pike (make sure you're in attack mode - standing with hands and feet at even pressure). .
    Really? Most things I have read seem to suggest 25% sag. Is the 20% figur RS recommendeation or just personal preference. Curious because I have just got a Bronson with 150 Pike

mtbr member
    I've run pretty much all configurations and 20% is the sweet spot - no question about it. Also I'm right where Rockshox recommends for air pressure too (didn't mean for that to happen but they obviously know a thing or two about their forks). Any less and the fork dives way too much for aggressive riding and that's with or without tokens. I even think that's a little too plush and have my LSC dialed to 8 clicks in to prevent dive in gnarly terrain. Obviously there is some personal pref, and riding style plays a part too. If you're a real casual rider and just want a really plush fork then maybe you could get away with 25 or 30% sag.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Hattori Hanzō
    May 2010
    Definitely remove a token and see how it feels. 20% is the sweet spot for setting sag on the Pike (make sure you're in attack mode - standing with hands and feet at even pressure). Since you state 6" travel I'll assume you have the 160 Pike. I've done extensive testing and zero tokens is best for trail riding. One token if you do any decent sized drops and jumps. Go fast on the rebound - only 4 clicks for trail/DH, 6 clicks for FR. Set the LSC just so the fork doesn't dive when braking/cornering (8 clicks in for me).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    One thing about suspension settings is they vary widely depending on rider ability, weight and style. Most of the 175 to 185lb riders that I know are using at least one token some two.
    Also unless you are bottoming out all the time or having handling issues, don't get to caught up in the using full travel/watching your o-ring hype. If you have the correct amount of sag/LSC and your not using full travel it's perfectly fine! For most people trail riding it will spend most of it's life in the first 75%-80% of the travel with the rest reserved for those "OH ****" moments.

I'm a 200ish? pound cat 1 rider. I tend to ride aggressive and don't go out of my way to find smooth lines, as long as I can carry speed over whatever I'm hitting. I also have a 160mm/150mm travel combination which allows some degree of sag/geo adjustment.

Bike is XL Santa Cruz Bonson. Shock is Fox Float X adjusted for Bronson with 2nd largest volume reducer. Fork is 160mm RCT3 Pike.

At Sandy Ridge(two turntables)
    I run 3 tokens 80psi (30% sag) Low Speed at 5 - 7 clicks out from full hard. Rebound at 6 clicks out from full hard(slow). Rear sag at 25% to 30% depending on conditions

At Black Rock
    3 tokens 25%(85psi) and as little as 20% (90psi)
    Rebound 5 clicks out. LSC at 6 to 7 clicks out , just enough to keep the front end up.
    Rear sag at 25% - 30% one click slower on rebound.

This is good for up to 6 to 8ft drops before it hard bottoms(metal to plastic sounding/feeling thud). As it gets more hard packed I run slightly less air pressure 2 to 3 psi to accommodate.

At Crawfish DH
    2 tokens decrease the sag to 20% - 25%. LSC at 4 - 5 clicks out. Rebound at 6 or 7 clicks out.
    I also run more sag in the rear 30% to 35% and speed the rebound up one click.

Trails like Eagles Rest I run 3 tokens 25% sag 5 rebound 5 lsc.
    20% sag on the rear due to the corners and the amount of pedaling.

These four trails vary widely from a old school DH trail(crawfish) a Bike Park(Black Rock) new school single track(Sandy Ridge) to trail/XC(Eagles Rest).
    Hope this helps

Hattori Hanzō
    May 2010
    can you use a token on the dual position Pike? i weigh about 175/180 all kitted up. i prolly dont need a token do i? Im on a Blur LTc and just got a Pike. running around 25% sag.
    Sooner 518: Sorry No only the solo air use tokens

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Bronson/Pike adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by nissmo127 View Post
    Sooner 518: Sorry No only the solo air use tokens
    There is an option out there for DPA pikes. Aftermarket from Fluid Function in Squamish BC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nissmo127 View Post
    One thing about suspension settings is they vary widely depending on rider ability, weight and style. Most of the 175 to 185lb riders that I know are using at least one token some two.
    Also unless you are bottoming out all the time or having handling issues, don't get to caught up in the using full travel/watching your o-ring hype. If you have the correct amount of sag/LSC and your not using full travel it's perfectly fine! For most people trail riding it will spend most of it's life in the first 75%-80% of the travel with the rest reserved for those "OH ****" moments.

I'm a 200ish? pound cat 1 rider. I tend to ride aggressive and don't go out of my way to find smooth lines, as long as I can carry speed over whatever I'm hitting. I also have a 160mm/150mm travel combination which allows some degree of sag/geo adjustment.

Bike is XL Santa Cruz Bonson. Shock is Fox Float X adjusted for Bronson with 2nd largest volume reducer. Fork is 160mm RCT3 Pike.

At Sandy Ridge(two turntables)
    I run 3 tokens 80psi (30% sag) Low Speed at 5 - 7 clicks out from full hard. Rebound at 6 clicks out from full hard(slow). Rear sag at 25% to 30% depending on conditions

At Black Rock
    3 tokens 25%(85psi) and as little as 20% (90psi)
    Rebound 5 clicks out. LSC at 6 to 7 clicks out , just enough to keep the front end up.
    Rear sag at 25% - 30% one click slower on rebound.

This is good for up to 6 to 8ft drops before it hard bottoms(metal to plastic sounding/feeling thud). As it gets more hard packed I run slightly less air pressure 2 to 3 psi to accommodate.

At Crawfish DH
    2 tokens decrease the sag to 20% - 25%. LSC at 4 - 5 clicks out. Rebound at 6 or 7 clicks out.
    I also run more sag in the rear 30% to 35% and speed the rebound up one click.

Trails like Eagles Rest I run 3 tokens 25% sag 5 rebound 5 lsc.
    20% sag on the rear due to the corners and the amount of pedaling.

These four trails vary widely from a old school DH trail(crawfish) a Bike Park(Black Rock) new school single track(Sandy Ridge) to trail/XC(Eagles Rest).
    Hope this helps
    Why are you quoting me??? I run a token (2 for Black Rock) and no one said anything about paying too much attention to where the o-ring is!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Hattori Hanzō
    May 2010
    Why are you quoting me??? I run a token (2 for Black Rock) and no one said anything about paying too much attention to where the o-ring is!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Why are you quoting me? Are you threatening me? I come here to bring TP to your people...

In all seriousness the OP mentioned travel (o-ring) but no other problems and you seemed to be the one throwing out setting/token advise.
    To add to the settings you mentioned I've found, do to the lack of HSC adjust you need to get creative with token/sag/air pressure to get good small bump compliance and bottoming resistance for some riders. So when you add tokens you need to increase sag to get small bump compliance and/or back out your lsc just a bit do to the ramp up of the spring rate which gives you great bottoming resistance. It's not perfect but works fine.

It would have been nice of RS to have a HSC adjust option for more aggressive/fat people like myself but, then again this forks works so well for most people I'm sure they deemed it unnecessary.