Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Bronson with Monarch RC3 Plus

I've ordered myself a Bronson with the standard shock as I'm thinking of swapping it out for a Monarch RC3 plus. Has anyone here done this, is it a worthwhile upgrade ?

I see people raving about the cane creek db with a Bronson but those shocks cost a bit more over here and the Monarch is 1/2 the price.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Sunshine & Slippery Trail
    I'm torn with which way to go. Initially was going to test the Monarch +, and have heard a number of folks say they really like the improved ride quality it gave, but the DB Air seems like it may be even better. Question is, is it enough of an improvement to justify the extra $$$?

mtbr member
    I should have my Bronson built up in the next couple of weeks with a Monarch Plus. I'll post up some reports after I get some ride time in on the bike and the shock.
    You gotta Get Up to Get Down!

mtbr member
    There's a bit of a weight penalty w/ the CCDB too...but from all reports, it's supposed to be the bee's knees.

I run a M+ on a TBLTc. A side benefit is you can get into and custom tune the M+ pretty easily...no N2 charge.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    any updates?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Idea! even better - Monarch Plus Debonair

Yes - would be very interested, especially if SC will release this frame with a tuned Monarch Plus Debonair - as they just did for the new Nomad

SC team - will you please...

mtbr member
    I emailed SC to ask their thoughts on the debonair on a Bronson.

Boulder chucker
    Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
    I emailed SC to ask their thoughts on the debonair on a Bronson.
    Keep us posted puh-lease!

mtbr member
    will do

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Yep now thinking of waiting for a Debonair for the frame too

mtbr member
    here's an email i just got from SC.

click on image to enlarge
    David,

The Monarch is a great shock and there is no reason you couldn't use on on your Bronson. Though if you go with piggyback style shock like the Debonair you will forgo the use of a bottle cage. I can give you the shock tune information for the CTD on the Bronson, but you should contact Rockshox to find out what tune they would recommend on the Monarch.

Bronson with Monarch RC3 Plus-capture.jpg
    Cheers!
    Joe

Tech Support - Santa Cruz Bicycles

mtbr member

Re: Bronson with Monarch RC3 Plus

Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
    here's an email i just got from SC.

click on image to enlarge
    Wow, a LV air can AND a vol spacer! They REALLY want that shock to ramp at end of stroke!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    yea im pretty confused about this entire thing. not sure what to order now.

mtbr member
    Do any of you Bronson riders know if there's a Linkage model for the bike yet? It would be good to see if it's similar to the other vpp2 curves. If it IS similar, then it gets pretty progressive towards end of stroke to where you really want a more linear shock...

Edit: seems someone did model up the Bronson...but 2 stars!?

Linkage Bike Simulation Software - Bike library
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Weird, there is another thread where someone said they got a reply from SC and were told they needed a Monarch with a Low compression and medium Rebound which I think makes more sense

mtbr member
    yea i saw that thread. i think it was because the rider was only 140lbs so they recommend a L/L as he was claiming the M/M tune was too harsh for him. But i'm 180 with gear +/- 5lbs so im wondering if i would even have a problem. I'm suppose to go into my lbs and order the bike, buti i dont want to order it with the monarch plus if its going to be worse than the ctd kashima

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    SC recommended a low comp/mid rebound for a Monarch RC3+ on my Bronson as I'm 140lb with gear. I scoured every distributor and contacted RS but none can order the low comp shim stack yet since it's still early 2014. At Sea Otter this year the rep said 'everyone runs M/M on their Bronson regardless of their weight.' This is not true though.
    I've got several hundred mi on the Monarch w M/M, and, compared to the Fox CTD K, it feels slightly more harsh over the small bumps with much better mid stroke support at the same level of sag (25-30%). I like how well it controls the rear end under fast hard impacts and landings. Rather than a rough bottom out like the Fox, the Monarch keeps its composure much like a coil spring. For my weight/riding style I wouldn't call it an upgrade as much as getting a different feel from the bike. For fast DH runs where you're really working the shock, this keeps the rear more controlled than the Fox (plus it doesnt heat up then fade). The firm platform setting is also nice for hilly 5K+ days- rides like a grippy hardtail at 30% sag, where the Fox barely feels different in Climb mode. Heavier riders (180lb+) who have tried my bike say the same thing-feels more like a linear coil, but you lose the nice squish off the top end. Debonair upgrade might fix that!

Bronson with Monarch RC3 Plus-photo5.jpg

mtbr member
    ive had 3 rides on mine so far and at 175-180 lbs geared up it seems to be completely fine. this weekend im taking it to a bike park so we'll see how it handles a little more aggressive trails. still trying to get everything sorted out. m/m tune
    Need a Website? Custom Websites. Lowest Price. Hosting available. Need a website built or help with one? Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Do any of you Bronson riders know if there's a Linkage model for the bike yet? It would be good to see if it's similar to the other vpp2 curves. If it IS similar, then it gets pretty progressive towards end of stroke to where you really want a more linear shock...

Edit: seems someone did model up the Bronson...but 2 stars!?

Linkage Bike Simulation Software - Bike library
    Its progressive right at the end of the stroke.

Santa Cruz Bronson 2013 - Linkage Design

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If your referring to the little upturn at the very end of the stroke on that leverage ratio graph, that means its regressive at the very end of the stroke, not progressive. It is progressive from 50-135 mm of the travel. Decreasing leverage ratio = progressive. As you can see, it is not as progressive as the RM Altitude.
    Howver, the bikje will spend a lot of its time at 50-135 mm of stroke, and that is where its progressive. the regressiveness at the last 15 mm of stroke only comes into play on the very biggest hits.
    Last edited by dwyooaj; 04-17-2014 at 08:16 AM.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    If your referring to the little upturn at the very end of the stroke on that leverage ratio graph, that means its regressive at the very end of the stroke, not progressive. It is progressive from 50-135 mm of the travel. Decreasing leverage ratio = progressive. As you can see, it is not as progressive as the RM Altitude.
    Howver, the bikje will spend a lot of its time at 50-135 mm of stroke, and that is where its progressive. the regressiveness at the last 15 mm of stroke you will only feel on teh very biggest hits.
    Thanks for clarifying dwyooaj, I thought I may have read that wrong.

mtbr member
    so friday i went to the big park. and the shock performed flawlessly. as i was warming up and getting use to the trail i was using 90% of the travel with 25% sag and it seemed to be soaking thing sup nicely even with me turning down the rebound a little since i noticed it ramped up a little too fast once on a small jump. as i started pushing harder i got pretty much all the travel out of without sacrificing anything else.
    Need a Website? Custom Websites. Lowest Price. Hosting available. Need a website built or help with one? Let me know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Would the Debonair actually offer any advantages to the Bronson? We all know that the Bronson clearly likes the small cans so if one were to pick up a Debonair can, are you just filling up the volume anyway or is there more to it, perhaps due to the increased neg volume?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Wouldn't the debonair be more supple at the beginning and then more linear throughout the rest?

I suspect a monarch deb would work well with spacers to ramp it up so long as you get the right comp/reb shims (low comp, mid rebound). Sucks to have to guess though.
    PM me for a great price on a pike 150 27.5 as new condition, barely seen dirt!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Bump.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast