Thread: Bronson/Loop?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Bronson/Loop?

Hey, all,

I got a nice price on a Fox Float 34 150mm for my Bronson frame (off somebody else's stock Bronson, surprise?). Have only owned one other fork in that travel range, a WB Loop, which formerly resided on a Ventana El Bastardo. Gave the Float three rides. It feels nowhere near as plush and able in rough terrain as the Loop. The Loop allowed me to go far faster with more control than anything I've ridden, and I'm not getting anywhere near that vibe with the Fox so far. I dropped the pressure to 75 for my last ride, which seemed have helped a minute amount (or not, maybe just getting used to the bike).

I am aware of the overall dissatisfaction with the '13 Float, and that some update it with the '14 dampers. Before I embark on that, or replace the fork altogether, I thought it would be interesting to slap the Loop on it. (Costing me only the tapered adapter.)

I imagine some will say the 32mm Loop will be too noodly for a Bronson. Some might suggest just test riding it, which I plan to do. Any insights you can share on this? TIA!

mtbr member
    What % sag are you getting at 75psi on that fork?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just my opinion, but I've owned or ridden most of the current forks in the 140-160mm range and am currently on a Bronson with a Loop and I must say I'm very impressed.

I've spent a bunch of time on '13 Float CTD, and demo'd a Bronson with a '14 CTD 34 Float Kash, and, coming off a Marzocchi 44 RC3 Ti, I was seriously underwhelmed. While building up my Bronson I got a amazing deal on a Loop and having never ridden, or even seen a WB fork, I took a chance. Initially I was somewhat satisfied, the forks stiffness was great , on par, or better than a Fox 34, and mid to high impacts were dealt with superbly. The fork is plenty sturdy I've ridden full DH trails, hit 10' drops, and 25' jumps with it, stiffness/strength is not an issue, but, initially, the damping of trail chatter and general fork plushness was seriously lacking.

However after ~200 miles on the fork and a full day at the bike park (Northstar), the fork has finally, fully, broken in, and I must say its great. Its not as quite plush as the Marzocchi, and I'd like to try the new Pike, and Bos Deville, but I find the Loop to be immensely superior to Fox's 650b offerings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    vik, I was running only about 10% sag at 75, which based on my ride-ready weight is right. LBS thought it looked/felt a bit dry, so they lubed the stancions and worked it awhile upside down. I'll drop pressure as needed to get it in the 15-20% zone and give it more trail time (along with some rebound tweaking).

dhb8, thanks for the compelling run down. I'm seeing the A-C on my Loop about 13mm less than the Float, which seems like it could significantly affect handling. SC suggests up to 160mm fork; presumably, 160 would have longer A-C than 150mm. Apparently it's not an issue for your setup. Did you make any other bike adjustments or changes in riding tech to get in the Loop groove?

Much appreciated, guys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    vik, I was running only about 10% sag at 75, which based on my ride-ready weight is right. LBS thought it looked/felt a bit dry, so they lubed the stancions and worked it awhile upside down. I'll drop pressure as needed to get it in the 15-20% zone and give it more trail time (along with some rebound tweaking).
    My Nomad's VPP works best at ~30% sag. 10%-15%-20% sounds low to me.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Glad you like the Loop! I'm using the Loop's bigger brother on mine right now - we'll be launching this new 34mm fork at Eurobike next week. Initially I had a Loop on my Bronson, but once prototypes were available for the new fork I jumped at the chance. I think the Loop is perfectly suitable for the Bronson, but of course the new, bigger fork adds some additional stiffness and more travel.

NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Noah, thanks for weighing in with that exciting scoop! For how good the Loop is (by all I can tell), few seem to know about it. New products based on that design...very dreamy. Go, MRP!

Thanks again, vik. Keeping that in mind as I tinker.

vvv Thanks for the specifics, jt.
    Last edited by She&I; 08-21-2013 at 10:02 AM.

mtbr member
    I have a Fox 34 on my Bronson and was initially disappointed with the suspension feel. I dropped the pressure in increments and settled on 30% for sag. What a difference! The seals took a few weeks to break in also. My set up is full soft on trail adjust and four clicks in on rebound. I am loving the ride now.

mtbr member
    Hoping my Fox 34 breaks in and gets dialed in soon. I'm still messing around trying to get it to feel right. Probably give it till next spring then go looking around. Been thinking Pike but I'll put the new WB on the list. So subscribed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    dhb8, thanks for the compelling run down. I'm seeing the A-C on my Loop about 13mm less than the Float, which seems like it could significantly affect handling. SC suggests up to 160mm fork; presumably, 160 would have longer A-C than 150mm. Apparently it's not an issue for your setup. Did you make any other bike adjustments or changes in riding tech to get in the Loop groove?

Much appreciated, guys.
    Santa Cruz specs the Bronson with a 150mm fork, and while the Loop is 13mm shorter than the Fox it's 13mm longer than my previous Marzocchi, combined with the extra height of the 27.5 wheel the bar is plenty high. In fact I'm currently running a Sunline 762(mm) Flat bar W/ a 50mm stem and am kinda liking it, cornering, climbing and overall front end feel are noticeably improved (over a 20mm rise Renthal bar), and given the bikes larger wheels (to me anyway), and the long chainstays, the bike is very composed on the more tech/steeper sections. The only drawback is some difficulty in manualing the bike, but that may be the longer CS and that I'm 5'10 on a large.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I ride a 29er & have ridden the Fox 34, Loop , Revelation & Pike.

IMO the Fox 34 was stiffer than the Revelation, but worked worse than all these other forks.

The Loop was very plush, But a bit noisy & I don't like the lock out.

The Through axle on the Loop is second to none & the fork seems as stiff as the Fox 34.

All in all quite a nice fork.

The Revelation RCT3 was a nice fork but could do with being stiffer.

The Pike is a very nice fork, Plush, Stiff, Quiet, Very very nice fork.

I have a X Fusion Trace but haven't ridden it yet.

Look forward to Seeing the new White Brothers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks, muzz.

Curiosity got the best of me. I've gotten a few rides on the 32 Loop and really like it on the Bronson. I just added a 1/4" spacer to raise the bars to partially compensate for the Loop's 13mm shorter A-C.

As others have noted, there is no appreciable lack of stiffness compared to the Fox 34 (and I'm running a straight steerer). Plushness, confident descending, railing rock gardens...I actually feel faster on the Loop.

Still have the Fox; may go for the upgraded damper and try it again later, but the Loop is, so far, doing for the Bronson exactly what I hope it would. One curious aspect: Bronson'ers usually note the flickability of their bike, but I'm not feeling that so much. My Pivot 429c actually feels sprightlier than the Bc. The Bron wants to stay more planted but it simply goes faster when the going is rough. No knock to the Bronson, I love the feeling more with every ride.

Cheers...