mtbr member

Bronson Chainguide Options

The E Thirteen guide that came on my Bronson C lasted almost 2 months. Roller broke when it took a hit and it seems a bit vulnerable anyway. Anyway I was considering one of these

Name:  twinty2x.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  13.5 KB

It is not on SC's "recommended list" on the website. The MRP 2x is but seems reviews are mixed. Anyone used either on the Bronson? Thoughts?

Thanks

ask
    user
    Did you ever replace the chain guide on your Bronson? The E Thirteen on mine broke as well... replacement part is $12 and the shipping/tax is $13. pretty lame. I am considering pulling the roller off and just using it as a bash guard.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    Did you ever replace the chain guide on your Bronson? The E Thirteen on mine broke as well... replacement part is $12 and the shipping/tax is $13. pretty lame. I am considering pulling the roller off and just using it as a bash guard.
    This is exactly what I did about a month ago and haven't regretted it yet. I've ridden some fast, chundery stuff and have yet to drop a chain or hear any significant slapping. Clutch technology is amazing...

ask
    user
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    This is exactly what I did about a month ago and haven't regretted it yet. I've ridden some fast, chundery stuff and have yet to drop a chain or hear any significant slapping. Clutch technology is amazing...
    GeeProh - Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    replaced mine with a MRP 2X, worked great with less drag than the E13 but the lower roller broke on an impact in Moab. Pulled the roller and rode with the clutch engaged and it worked almost as well. Bottom line, both guides are fragile. Clutch works pretty well if you don't move through multiple gears at a time. Upside to the MRP is that they did not charge me for a replacement (had my LBS send it back).

jddist
    May 2008
    What about the good old Blackspire Stinger with a bash ring combo. Seems like the most reliable and cost effective solution.

Creepy tooth fairy
    Ditto on the MRP. They have been at it longer than anyone. I have their G2 Mini on my hardtail and it is brick house solid. They clued in on the fact that riders who get into really nasty terrain can still benefit from some chain retention despite the narrow/wide drop stop chain rings that are all the rage. I will be rocking their AMG with my single ring set up.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

mtbr member
    I'm running an EThirteen tensioner too but would love to replace it with a Blackspire Stinger. Can anyone confirm if this will work?

Ive whacked the roller on the E13 on logs before and it has enough leverage to twist the whole thing up towards the chainstay. I guess a Stinger would have the same problem but it should be lighter.
    I have a black belt in MS Paint.

2013 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon
    2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp Carbon 29er

ask
    user
    I am actually in the process of swapping my 2x10 XT crankset on my Bronson with an XX1 crankset... so it will be 1x10 until I blow up my rear drivetrain and replace it with XX1/XO1. So I ordered an MCR AMG that HELLBELLY was referring to. Looks like a good setup for a 1x9/10/11.

jddist
    May 2008
    I have the same problem with the stinger being bashed hard resulting in it rotating up and pinching the chain between the roller and the chainstay on my Yeti 7. That is why I only use the BB mount ones and not the ISCG tab ones. That way the tabs don't tear off, and I can easily rotate it back in place on the trail. I want to try the Biocon C-Guide for this exact reason but haven't had a chance yet.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    Ditto on the MRP. They have been at it longer than anyone. I have their G2 Mini on my hardtail and it is brick house solid. They clued in on the fact that riders who get into really nasty terrain can still benefit from some chain retention despite the narrow/wide drop stop chain rings that are all the rage. I will be rocking their AMG with my single ring set up.
    Thanks man!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I use the AMg most of the time on my Bronson and TBLT.

On the rare occasion I opt for a dual-ring setup, I usually go for a clutch RD + XCG + a carbon guide ring. That setup keeps the chain from ever possibly leaving the rings and is quiet and bombproof.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've got a Blackspire Der Guide on my Chromag(no clutch d), have another Der Guide coming for my V10 and will likely get a TrailX Guide when I go 1x11.
    The 20X will have a wider bottom wear plate than the single ring Der Guide.

If you have a clutch mech, and don't need or want the bottom roller they do have a Bruiser out now which is just the taco bash

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    The AM-Guide works amazingly well with a clutch rear mech and a narrow/wide ring. You've got bash protection, and the peace of mind knowing the upper bits will prevent an accidental chain-drop.

N/W rings are NOT drop proof, just way, way harder to get it to happen. What's gonna' happen when the ring and chain get a bit worn? Chain will start dropping. I'd rather just not have to deal with a derailment when least wanted.

The AM-G is great - no added friction on the system, minimal weight. Obviously you can get the same thing by just removing the lower roller bits off some existing guides if you already have one - one of my AM-Guides is just that, a Micro guide with the roller bit of the slider cut off. If I ever want to run the roller again, easy enough to get a new slider bit.

Paired with a Cytoe guard, it also helps give a bit of extra protection the the lower link on my TR-c
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper