Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    48

    Bronson build parts spec

    IŽll buy a Bronson carbon frame, size M for a build as I already have a set of Ztans ZTR arch/DT 350 wheelset and an Rock Shox Pike 150mm solo air.
    IŽll also buy a XT groupset and the remaining parts but have some doubts:

    1. Shifters - Deore XT SL-M780 or SL-M780-I (I-Spec B)?
    2. Rear Derailleur - Deore XT: RD-M781SGS, RD-M781GS, RD-M786SGS or RD-M786GS??
    3. Front Derailleur - Deore XT: FD-M780 Top Swing, FD-M781 Down Swing, FD-M781 Direct Mount, FD-M786 Direct Mount, FD-M785 Top Swing, FD-M786 Down Swing??
    4. Bottom Bracket - SM-BB70 BB cups?
    5. Headset: Cane Creek 40 ZS44/28.6 / EC49/40 ??

    As you can see, there are a lot of variations on the above parts and IŽll need the exact ones as on the SC website build, or any suggestions for better options for the parts above.
    thanks for the help!!!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    68
    Why not go with SRAM 1x11? The X1 groupset is already available and should be comparable to XT.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    224
    780 shifters so you can adjust brake/shifter position independently.

    786GS rear derailleur - Med cage with clutch.

    Front Der I have no clue.

    bB get a king if cost isn't a concern, or just standard Shimano thread in.


    Like Op said, I'd really consider X1 (the newer stuff). X1 | SRAM Mountain | SRAM

    You'd need a DT XD driver which just pops on the DT hub (really that easy).
    X1 cassette
    X1 derailleur
    X1 shifter
    Cranks don't have to be SRAM. Chainring should be narrow wide (wolf toof/race face/sram). Im partial to shimano cranks with a raceface narrow wide.

    Brakes I'd go SLX - or XTR if your feeling spendy. I have XT and thead adjust is nit useful, and weight is = to SLX.

    Maybe SRAMs guide brakes are good, I do not know. Elixirs are ok and can be found cheap.

    The headset specs are right. As per earlier King is my default best for headset BB or hubs. But if price conscious go for a cane creek 40 series.

    Hope that helps!
    believe in yourself! I believe in you!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flyinmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by reimorei View Post
    IŽll buy a Bronson carbon frame, size M for a build as I already have a set of Ztans ZTR arch/DT 350 wheelset and an Rock Shox Pike 150mm solo air.
    IŽll also buy a XT groupset and the remaining parts but have some doubts:

    1. Shifters - Deore XT SL-M780 or SL-M780-I (I-Spec B)?
    2. Rear Derailleur - Deore XT: RD-M781SGS, RD-M781GS, RD-M786SGS or RD-M786GS??
    3. Front Derailleur - Deore XT: FD-M780 Top Swing, FD-M781 Down Swing, FD-M781 Direct Mount, FD-M786 Direct Mount, FD-M785 Top Swing, FD-M786 Down Swing??
    4. Bottom Bracket - SM-BB70 BB cups?
    5. Headset: Cane Creek 40 ZS44/28.6 / EC49/40 ??

    As you can see, there are a lot of variations on the above parts and IŽll need the exact ones as on the SC website build, or any suggestions for better options for the parts above.
    thanks for the help!!!
    When I ran an XT drivetrain I preferred running the i-spec setup where the shifter connected to the Xt brake lever clamp
    there are two types of i-spec setups.. the original "i-spec" and the "i-spec B" which is for Shimano brake levers 2013 and newer
    i-spec allows for better shifter/brake lever positioning in relation to each other. and, also made mounting a remote for the Reverb post much cleaner.
    XT brakes with i-spec shifters
    Shimano Deore XT SL-M780 I-Spec B Shifters | Competitive Cyclist
    I went 1x11 and haven't looked back.. I ran a Wolftooth 104 chainring on a XT m785 crankset
    SLX cranksets are a pretty good buy if you shop around..
    if you really dig in and wait you can find the XT M785 for $120 like I did
    Recently I have a new Nomad3 that is setup with the SRAM X1 crankset.. I'm really liking it...
    an almost identical setup could be had by sourcing a SRAM X9 or AKA crankset
    then running a Wolftooth direct ring or a NorthShore Billet adapter for 2x10 -http://northshorebillet.com

    the CaneCreek headsets are a good piece of kit. and I'm starting to prefer them to the Chris King headsets I have

    as far as a dropper.. running a KS Lev and not going stealth works pretty cleanly (not the Integra post)
    I did prefer the Reverb run Stealth.. but, many have problems with the Reverb.
    I'm 5'7" and ran both a small and a medium frameset.. when I ran the small I would have really liked to have had a 150mm post
    When I sized up and ran a medium frame I could not have used the longer drop post
    My Reverb was a 30.9 Stealth 125mm with a right remote mounted upside down on the left bar

    I preferred running 180/180 brake rotors for better feel and modulation on the back

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    144
    reimorei, thanks for starting this tread, and thanks others for the great responses. I had the same questions and appreciate the information.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gman086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,848
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinmike View Post
    the CaneCreek headsets are a good piece of kit. and I'm starting to prefer them to the Chris King headsets I have
    THIS!

    I've run both for years and CK's are having lots of precision fit problems lately (a couple recent threads about creaking King headsets in this forum even). The Cane Creek 110 has equivalent quality bearings that least for years and no creaking. The CC 40 is nice and quiet but you will trash the lower bearings in a year's worth of riding in wet conditions (what I'd been using as of late) because they are not stainless. Get a CC 40 upper and CC 110 lower and call it good!

    Have FUN!

    G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    THIS!

    I've run both for years and CK's are having lots of precision fit problems lately (a couple recent threads about creaking King headsets in this forum even). The Cane Creek 110 has equivalent quality bearings that least for years and no creaking. The CC 40 is nice and quiet but you will trash the lower bearings in a year's worth of riding in wet conditions (what I'd been using as of late) because they are not stainless. Get a CC 40 upper and CC 110 lower and call it good!

    Have FUN!

    G MAN
    I second that, my CK had nothing but issues. All the creaking and noises as mentioned, I would take it apart, clean and grease and then a week later it's back to making noises. I trashed it and went with a CC and I'll never look back. I don't see CK for a headset option ever again in my future.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    144
    On front derailleur, from SC web site, FAQ on Bronson: This bike uses a 34.9mm Bottom Swing (high clamp), Top Pull front derailleur.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-26-2014, 08:40 AM
  2. Torque Spec for Seat Collar??? Bronson C
    By pachaven in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-26-2014, 01:55 AM
  3. 2013 Anthem X 29er 1 parts spec decent?
    By trip221 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-23-2012, 05:55 AM
  4. Spec/parts questions for Horsethief
    By ElbowScabs in forum Salsa
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-04-2012, 02:07 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2011, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •