mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Bronson Bar Width Question

Hi,

My Bronson has the stock 710 mm bar that came with it. I want to upgrade to a wider, carbon handlebar.

I realize that width is largely a personal preference but I'd like to get some recommendations as to which bar I should get. At this point, I'm leaning towards a 760 mm bar. I'm only 5'9 tall so I don't think I should go much wider. I also don't want to run into any issues with clipping trees.

My plan was to just order the 800 mm wide Santa Cruz bar then trim it down. I'll probably go with a 50 mm stem as well. Any suggestions on where to order this?

Thanks,

Cole

mtbr member

AFAIK you can't order the SC bar yet. It'll be sometime in '15. I went with Easton Havocs. They can be trimmed to 750. Also, with either you'll need the 35 mm clamp stem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    i've got Answer protaper 720mm 50mm rise with a 50mm 0 degree stem. I just moved from a 70 6 degree stem and i'm loving it right now. haven't ridden with wider than 720 yet so not sure how that would feel. but certainly seems to be the trend. i feel like i come close enough to trees as it is with 720. price point has protaper 780mm .5 inch rise for $98. Thats where i got mine.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    How about a Chromag BZA bar/stem combo? The bar is 780mm and the stem is 50mm. Burly and super pimp!

mtbr member
    Be leary of buying 800 and cutting down, as the ride quality will suffer. They make the really wide DH bars extra stiff to begin with... cutting them down only makes them stiffer.

At $80 shipped, the On One Knuckleball bar in 747 or 777 (I have the latter) is the best deal you'll find on a carbon bar. I bought a 55mm Easton Haven stem along with a Knuckleball 777 with intentions of cutting it down... everything I read said ride it a few times before cutting.

Guess what? Haven't cut it. Like the width. Haven't smacked a tree yet.

On-One Knuckleball Carbon Riser Handelbar
    <>
    '12 Tallboy AL
    '14 Motobecane Elite Trail rigid 700c commuter
    '93 Scott Montana beer bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    Be leary of buying 800 and cutting down, as the ride quality will suffer. They make the really wide DH bars extra stiff to begin with... cutting them down only makes them stiffer.

At $80 shipped, the On One Knuckleball bar in 747 or 777 (I have the latter) is the best deal you'll find on a carbon bar. I bought a 55mm Easton Haven stem along with a Knuckleball 777 with intentions of cutting it down... everything I read said ride it a few times before cutting.

Guess what? Haven't cut it. Like the width. Haven't smacked a tree yet.

On-One Knuckleball Carbon Riser Handelbar
    Yup....I made a set of bars into a stove pipe doing this. Cut way to much off. Also, cutting them back too much affected the rear sweep a bit as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by challybert View Post
    Also, cutting them back too much affected the rear sweep a bit as well.
    Good point, never thought of that.

This is why I have Renthal FatBar Lite Carbon bars on my 29er. I wanted a 740mm bar. Renthal designed these for 740 and tune the fit, geo and handling/feel characteristics for 740.

That being said, 760 is an odd width. Bars seem to be 710-720, 740-750, 780-800
    <>
    '12 Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The reason I picked 760 mm was because that's what Santa Cruz specs on the new Bronson with their in house bars. I might just wait until they release their bars for individual sale. My riding season will be over before too long anyway. Winter in Edmonton comes quick!

mtbr member
    I have the Race Face Sixc bars at full 785mm on my Bronson with 50mm stem. I'm happy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    I have the Race Face Sixc bars at full 785mm on my Bronson with 50mm stem. I'm happy.
    That would be my 2nd recommendation. Good deals on the SIXC as well. Apparently the ride quality and 'feel' of the SIXC is nice as well.

Renthal now has a Fatbar Carbon 780mm. My 740mm Fatbar Lite Carbon rides wonderfully.
    <>
    '12 Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    That would be my 2nd recommendation. Good deals on the SIXC as well. Apparently the ride quality and 'feel' of the SIXC is nice as well.

Renthal now has a Fatbar Carbon 780mm. My 740mm Fatbar Lite Carbon rides wonderfully.
    Broke my SixC's on the third ride. wouldn't warranty because I didn't use a torque wrench (they weren't over tightened). I'm sticking with Easton bars.
    Love my NextSL cranks though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hello there I am running a
    THOMSON Handlebars Downhill 780mm on my Bro with a 70mm THOMSON stem
    Happy as ,and would recommend
    The carbon would be even better :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Any thoughts on the Race Face Next bar? It seems to be what I'm looking for. It's 760 mm with a 20 mm rise.

Slight concern about it's durability being an "XC Race/Trail" bar. I'm only 165 lbs so that helps.

Thinking about pairing with with a Turbine 50 mm stem.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by cmrocks View Post
    Hi,

My plan was to just order the 800 mm wide Santa Cruz bar then trim it down. I'll probably go with a 50 mm stem as well. Any suggestions on where to order this?
    Check eBay from time to time. I bought the SC 760 bar along with a Raceface turbine stem a guy who was selling them off his new Bronson. (The 760 bar is 35mm not 31.8 so requires a 35mm stem).

I'm 5'10" and love it...it replaced the Haven 710.

mtbr member
    Call Sadie at Deity and tell her G Man from West Linn, OR sent you. They make the best bars and stems on the planet, trust me. There bend is more anatomically correct than what Race Face or Chromag uses (those bars are straighter and add more strain/fatigue). Easton uses the same as Deity and are also very good but mass produced and more expensive. Deity also has quite a selection of rises (and even bends) so they have a bar for everyone.

My 2 cents,

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have 780 wide on 1 bike & it feels a little wide & 760 wide on all my other bikes & they feel great.

I'm 6 ft & ride lge frames with 50mm stems.