mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Bronson 2 Tires- DHF 2.5

Its time for new tires on my Bronson. I'm looking at going with DHF 2.5WT for both front and rear. The wheels are the stock AR27 rims that came on the bike. A couple questions:
    1. The SC website says the max rear tire size is 2.4. Will this fit ok without rubbing? Or should i go with a DHR2 in 2.4.
    2. The AR27 rims are 27mm internal width, are the WT tires too wide of a tread for this rim?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Fit would be iffy with DHF in back, but the DHR II/DHF combo have been tested on non plus bikes. Also, they are really designed for an 35mm ID rim. I'm not sure you would see the full benefit without the wider rim. That said, I plan on trying the DHR II/DHF on a 31mm ID rim on a Nomad 4 (some newer Nomad's come specced with this tire).

First Look: Maxxis DHF & DHR II ?Wide Trail? | Blister Gear Review - Skis, Snowboards, Mountain Bikes, Climbing, Kayaking

Maxxis Minion DHRII Wide Trail Tire - Reviews, Comparisons, Specs - Mountain Bike Tires - Vital MTB

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I know you narrowed your search down to maxxis, but have a look at the e.13 trs tires. The width is 2.35 but they really are gonna be same size or wider than the maxxis 2.5. To answer about the maxxis tires, my riding buddies have ran wide tires on narrower rims with success. I think you just don't benefit from all of the benefits of the wide rims.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Bronson 2 Tires- DHF 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by badams118 View Post
    Fit would be iffy with DHF in back, but the DHR II/DHF combo have been tested on non plus bikes. Also, they are really designed for an 35mm ID rim. I'm not sure you would see the full benefit without the wider rim. That said, I plan on trying the DHR II/DHF on a 31mm ID rim on a Nomad 4 (some newer Nomad's come specced with this tire).

First Look: Maxxis DHF & DHR II ?Wide Trail? | Blister Gear Review - Skis, Snowboards, Mountain Bikes, Climbing, Kayaking

Maxxis Minion DHRII Wide Trail Tire - Reviews, Comparisons, Specs - Mountain Bike Tires - Vital MTB
    I run a DHF 2.5 WT on my SB6 with 30.5mm IW rims. The tire grips like mad even though it's not 35mm (which is way wide).

I run HRII 2.4s on the 5010 2.0 on 27mm IW with no problems either. Also grips like mad.

Maxxis are not super wide tires as they measure width a little different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ummm.......maybe I do have a gear addiction. But I'm down to five bikes so I'm making progress.

mtbr member
    Also running the WT on 30mm ID rims and definitely feel the benefit compared to the non WT. On the issue of fit on the rear, I'm running the 2.4 DHR2 WT and while there is decent clearance I have noticed more scratches inside my rear triangle since moving up from a 2.3 aggressor (which is pretty narrow), so I would say the 2.5 will fit but you'll be in the same boat with scratches inside the triangle if you care about that kind of thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cwalk1030 View Post
    Its time for new tires on my Bronson. I'm looking at going with DHF 2.5WT for both front and rear. The wheels are the stock AR27 rims that came on the bike. A couple questions:
    1. The SC website says the max rear tire size is 2.4. Will this fit ok without rubbing? Or should i go with a DHR2 in 2.4.
    2. The AR27 rims are 27mm internal width, are the WT tires too wide of a tread for this rim?
    I have the DHF 2.5WT on my Nomad 3 with the stock ARC27 rims and the fit is great. There is plenty of clearance on the chainstays. I would think that with the Bronson V2 having boost rear end you should have even more clearance than my 142mm rear.

The Maxxis WT tire is designed for wider inner rims yes, but running on a narrower rim will mostly change the outside tread profile. The profile while change a little and be more square than rounded. Lean angle and grip will be slightly changed by the slightly more square profile.

There are threads on this forum with people fitting 2.6 wide tires on 5010's so you should be fine.

mtbr member
    I'm running 2.5" DHF up front and a 2.4" DHR in the rear on a 35mm inner rims. The 2.5" in the rear would be a super close fit, and I would bet at times it would rub.