mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Brand New 2007 Santa Cruz Blur Lt - $2700 Good price?

Is the 2009 much more different than the 2007? It is an R Build that originally went for $3100. The LBS won't take any less than $2,699 -- tried for $2500 as a starting point. I'm going to see if they'll include tax in it. Is that a good price or could I do better? I'm stuck between this one or a Transition Covert - practically the same price. The Santa Cruz is already built, where as the Transition I'll have to order and have it professionally built by the LBS which isn't a problem. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by flaudia042; 10-03-2008 at 02:34 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Check the price for BLT1 at cambriabike.com or colorado cyclist.

If your LBS can sell it at that price, then it is a good deal. If your bike shop can sell it at the online price + shipping, then is a decent deal. Otherwise, no.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    id stay with the 2500 (depending on what your tax rate is), its 2 years old, even if its new, they need to be willing to come off it more. I mean, by all means its WORTH 3 grand, but now that 09's are out, you can get a deal....Personally, I found a sick deal online and put it together myself as I find that more fun and a learning experience, but i respect wanting to help out your LBS, but I wouldnt pay more than the 2499 with free shipping at cambriabike for the same build, and most likely no tax

Id give them 100-150 maybe, tops, over what you can get it for online shipped for a convenience factor.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    They won't do it. They're firm on $2899. It is an LT1 Blur. It is equipped with the XC 9 package -- in their eyes it's a $4,400 bike that they're blowing out. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    I sent you the PM.....related to the other thread..... Just found this one....

I am not even sure what the XC 9 package is?

There is the DXC, RXC, RAM, SPX, XTR, X9 and XO.....? Never heard of the XC9 or that it is a $4400 MSRP package..... Do they mean the X9 package? Still think that was 3500ish....

Anyway, if it is the X9 package, that price is much better.... If it is RAM or RXC build, I personally would not pay $2,700 for that bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flaudia042
    They won't do it. They're firm on $2899. It is an LT1 Blur. It is equipped with the XC 9 package -- in their eyes it's a $4,400 bike that they're blowing out. Thoughts?
    Don't push them, then. Support your local LBS. If they gave you a firm price, it means thats the price that they're stuck with too. Remember that they bought the bike + package at a certain cost.

mtbr member

But...

Quote Originally Posted by drumbum
    Don't push them, then. Support your local LBS. If they gave you a firm price, it means thats the price that they're stuck with too. Remember that they bought the bike + package at a certain cost.
    Santa Cruz opted to revise the BLT and blow them out themselves without any warning to dealers, so they are left holding the bag. Its probably an X9 complete which originally sold for $3699 or so, then SC dumped all the old BLT's and you can now get them on ebay for $1100.00-1200.00. So this poor shop is stuck holding the bag, but at the same time, they should have dropped it to their cost plus maybe 5% the minute they got word that SC was dumping the old BLT. Good manufacturers will give small shops a decent amount of warning time to get ride of their current stock of a discounted or discontinued frame. Large shops can absorb it or dollar cost average their entire line a bit by buying additional frames or bikes at the discounted price to get out of it. Smaller shops have a hard time doing that and taking a chance on not being able to get rid of the additional stock.

The long and short of it is if the OP paid their price for the bike, he'd probably be paying a $300 or more premium for buying local. If he's expecting them to maintain the bike, will want to buy more stuff there, and has a previous relationship, that might be worth it. If its just a local shop he happened to wander into, well, probably not worth it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    This shop isn't local to me. They're an hour away from where I live...they're just the only dealer closest to me that has a Santa Cruz in their shop available to see.

mtbr member
    Probably need to confirm if it is the RAM/RXC or the X9 build......

I also am still confused as to their telling you it is originally a $4,400 bike that they are "blowing out"....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    id agree with above poster, if its a good shop and theyre offering free tune ups and such, than do it....if not, or youre not sure about the guys, screw it, buy it on ebay, their loss....id prefer to get a better deal and have a nice bike and a beater for the price of one bike, but if its a matter or supporting an awesome shop that does trail work and warranties their bikes, might not be a bad deal...but again, look at the package youre getting. xc and x9 are different packages either way, so figure out exactly what youre getting before you buy

If you buy your SC from other than an authorized retailer, especially a non-authorized online retailer, you could lose warranty status...the shop doesn't warranty the bike, SC does under their terms.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member

Absoultely....

Quote Originally Posted by E.J.
    Probably need to confirm if it is the RAM/RXC or the X9 build......

I also am still confused as to their telling you it is originally a $4,400 bike that they are "blowing out"....
    They probably just pulled a number out of their arse is my guess on that, because unless they "customized" the bike and its not one of SC's kits, there is no way its a $4400 retail bike. Lets not forget, if its an 07, its well before at least one, if not two, of SC's price hikes.

If its not really a local shop, and they won't come down to a reasonable price, confirm the build first as the poster above said, and buy it somewhere else. JMHO.

mtbr member
    just a quick response to the build kit, when I was looking around a 2 - 3 hour vicinity for santa cruz dealers because I only have one that is close (hour and a half) I found one dealer that was online making their own kits. At first the prices seemed reasonable and then I started to add up all the components they put on the bikes and it was really a rip off. They were putting a few good components on their packages and then mixing that in with 60% crap that they were overcharging for. Then they told me they don't order santa cruz completes they only buy frames and build them with their build kits. So like what everyone else has said double check that build kit and make sure that it's a santa cruz build kit and not their own. If it's a santa cruz build kit ask them what upgraded components they added to the bike to increase the original msrp from what it should have been to the $4400 they quoted you. Should be interesting to see what they say.

mtbr member

Discounts...

Quote Originally Posted by qdawgg
    just a quick response to the build kit, when I was looking around a 2 - 3 hour vicinity for santa cruz dealers because I only have one that is close (hour and a half) I found one dealer that was online making their own kits. At first the prices seemed reasonable and then I started to add up all the components they put on the bikes and it was really a rip off. They were putting a few good components on their packages and then mixing that in with 60% crap that they were overcharging for. Then they told me they don't order santa cruz completes they only buy frames and build them with their build kits. So like what everyone else has said double check that build kit and make sure that it's a santa cruz build kit and not their own. If it's a santa cruz build kit ask them what upgraded components they added to the bike to increase the original msrp from what it should have been to the $4400 they quoted you. Should be interesting to see what they say.
    I've seen that before as well, and it is not a sound practice because the mtb buying public is way too savy for that, imho. You might snag some local person who simply wants to "get into" mountain biking with a scheme like that, but in the long run, when they do their research, you will lose that customer. On average, I think you need to look at between a 6 and 8% discount on kits for the price to be fair and recognize such a bulk purchase. In other words, calculate up the total retail cost of the kit if purchased seperately, then deduct 6-8%, that would be fair. That is similar to the discount you will recognize in any SC kit as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    http://www.sarasotaschwinncyclery.com/

That is the shop offering the bike at $2900. They won't go any lower. I spoke to the manager yesterday and was trying to get information on it before I made the hr over there, and he said it is "spec'd out really well and originally costed $4,400" -- it was as if THEY were doing the public a service by letting it go for "so cheap." If anyone wants to take a few moments out of their day this week and call over there and get some info. it would be greatly appreciated. You all know more about these bikes than I do. I'm just a wimpy roadie who doesn't want to get taken for a fool.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i meant warranty in terms of tune ups and such, whereas some shops give you first free tune up, some give lifetime, and some nickel and dime you for little stuff

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiner
    i meant warranty in terms of tune ups and such, whereas some shops give you first free tune up, some give lifetime, and some nickel and dime you for little stuff
    They give you a first free tune up, then they charge you. I asked about the life time warranty /maintenance but the gentleman explained they wouldn't make any money like that. I understood his position. I wouldn't drive an 1.5 hr for regular maintenance anyway. Maybe for my first free tune up, but other parts/etc. I support my LOCAL bike shop.

my body breaks the falls
    For what it's worth, I paid $2850 for an X9 AM last December. This was a savvy shop owner who didn't want to hold on to a bike so long that he could never recoup his cost. Although it was pre-BLT2, the price was fair for both of us. He cleared space on his floor for a newer bike and I got a great deal. Sounds like the people you're dealing with never heard the term "opportunity cost."
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sounds like a bunch of liars at the shop - no way that bike was / is $4400. Ditch em and find a better deal at a more ethical place. You ain't getting any LBS good karma there no matter what you do.

mtbr member
    if you don't plan to service your bike there anyway because they are an hour away, then other than driving it won't matter too much if you have to drive another half hour to get a good deal and feel comfortable with your purchase. Where I live I have one dealer just over an hour and the next closest dealer is over 2 hours (almost 3) away. call around find a shop a little farther and you should only have to go there once to get the bike if it's exactly how they describe it over the phone.