mtbr member

brake hose routing on Bronson

I was switching all my XTR stuff over to my Bronson yesterday and when i got to the rear brake noticed that the hose is routed through the rear triangle. So to take the rear brake off I have to either remove the rear end or remove the hose. Can you just disconnect the hose from the caliper and then hook it back up without having to bleed them?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My knowledge if you did that you would create a air bubble between the piston and hose fitting.... So I would think yes you would need to bleed the brake .....any hydraulic system car bike or law mower needs to be bled once the seal

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shanem View Post
    I was switching all my XTR stuff over to my Bronson yesterday and when i got to the rear brake noticed that the hose is routed through the rear triangle. So to take the rear brake off I have to either remove the rear end or remove the hose. Can you just disconnect the hose from the caliper and then hook it back up without having to bleed them?
    Take off one of the shock bolts, then snake it through when you move the suspension.
    here we go again

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by shanem View Post
    Can you post pics of what exactly you are talking about? If it's routed anything like all the other VPP2 frames, you only need to take the rear wheel off . . . I'm really confused here.

Do you mean to say that its internally routed, as in through the chainstays?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

b a n n e d
    Nevermind . . . I think I see what you are referring to:

brake hose routing on Bronson-scb13_001783-1-624x416.jpg

Is it big enough to snake the lever through if you attached the caliper first? If not, I'd either a) deflate the shock and cycle the suspension or b) remove the lower shock bolt and cycle the suspension. I'd not take the brake assembly apart.

Kind of strange that the redesigned that area. On the older VPP frames, that gap is a lot larger and enough to snake a caliper and/or lever through.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    the clearance is smaller on the bronson since the vertical part of the rear triangle is beefier and closer to the seat tube. I had to remove one of the shock mount bolts and one of the lower pivots to fit a caliper through. its not that big of a deal since you should be checking (grease and tension) the pivots anyways

mtbr member
    I run the shifter cables along the top tube. The brake and post hose along the down tube.
    Shifter cables cross above the shock.
    the rear brake hose runs out side of the triangle rather then inside it.
    it would probably be cleaner to run it along the inside. But, I have not snagged it yet.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input guys. Looks like there's no way to snake it through. There's almost enough room if you deflate the shock and compress all the way. I'll mess around with this tomorrow.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Unbolt the shock - that ought to get you enough room to pass it through. Go from the back end though, passing the lever though towards the front - betting your lever will have better clearance along its flatter axis.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    One pivot bolt removed was enough to slip the hose through. What a pain in the ass though.

flyinmike could you post a pic of your cable routing?

mtbr member
    OK
    at work now.. I will see what I can do tonite

mtbr member
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brake hose routing on Bronson-img_0005.jpg  

mtbr member
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brake hose routing on Bronson-img_0008.jpg  

brake hose routing on Bronson-img_0006.jpg  

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    Flyinmike youre cable routing is interesting. But if it's working for you, cool! Did you run it that way to guide the dropper line on its own housing guide?

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinmike View Post
    I wouldn't feel comfortable running this setup. The last thing I want to leave exposed are my brake lines . . .

mtbr member
    Other then then the the brake housing being outside of the rear triangle, I didn't see any other way to go.
    I was under the impression the Bronson had dedicated routing for the dropper post
    looking at the pics that are on the SantaCruz website.. they route the Stealth hose with the brake hose
    the brake hose is routed inside the rear triangle
    And, the back derailleur routes along the downtube..

Quote Originally Posted by VO2 Lax View Post
    Flyinmike youre cable routing is interesting. But if it's working for you, cool! Did you run it that way to guide the dropper line on its own housing guide?

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    Other owners or bike mechanics, correct me if I'm wrong. But I think the dropper line shares the rear brake line routing. where you currently have the dropper line is the rear derailleur line, and where you're routing your rear derailleur line on the top tube is the front derailleur. 007 is right, for safety reasons, I would tuck that rear hydro line inside the triangle, but I'm a worry wort.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The brake line and derailleur cable should mirror each other on each side of the bike. Brake line should be inside the swingarm. Hope you have a Reverb Stealth that actually doesn't need bleeding. Bleeding a Stealth on the bike SUCKS. The bleed port is at the bottom of the post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You guys are really complaining about having to remove a shock bolt or the great hardship involved in bleeding a super clean internally-routed hydro line? If this is what we're down to (a) the bikes are getting really friggin' good; and (b) we will soon have absolutely nothing to talk about.

mtbr member
    a & b

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OGRipper View Post
    You guys are really complaining about having to remove a shock bolt or the great hardship involved in bleeding a super clean internally-routed hydro line? If this is what we're down to (a) the bikes are getting really friggin' good; and (b) we will soon have absolutely nothing to talk about.
    we will always have something to complain about. if we don't the internet will fail.
    here we go again

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Do you do your own Reverb bleeding? If not, just wait till you get a bill from your lbs to do bleed on a "super clean routed hydro line". Then you will have something to talk about. Absolutely stupid place to put the line, just so that people can say their bike looks cool. Remember, it's a Reverb, it WILL have to be bled.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Scott,
    the reverb comes with fluid and a bleed kit, and its not too difficult to do it, certainly not if you can bleed the external routing. The Bronson has routing for external lines to use other brands or a regular reverb too.

for me, stealth is not so much about my bike looking cool as it is getting rid of the loop of housing that hangs down and gets in the way of the tire sometimes when dropped and is more easily damaged. It also makes it easier to put into a workstand without the hose and the fitting there.
    imo, its a better way to go, but there are options if you don't like the trade-offs. sounds like you need a better LBS either way....
    here we go again

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah bleeding a reverb is pretty straightforward. Even if you can't/won't do it yourself, it really shouldn't cost too much to have a shop do it.

In addition to what eleven-yo said, there is another benefit to the stealth reverb: I have broken the hose fittings on the external version, and that is no longer an issue.

But anyway no one is forcing you to run the stealth version or a reverb at all, for that matter. If you have issues with hydro lines, get a cable-actuated post.