Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    209

    Blur: XC vs. LT2

    After reading threads on this board, I'm giving getting an XC over the LT2 second thoughts. However, I'm still have some things to work out before making a purchase.

    I don't race anymore, but used to a lot (catII road/elite mtb). I'm riding about a 10yr old litespeed obed hardtail w/xtr with a manitou mach 5 front shock. I like riding stretched out and want to go with an FS bike (back injury..).

    My concern is losing as much time on the technical rocky dh's as I can make up on the climbs and tricky single track. Therefore, If I get the lt2 will I be disappointed with it's handling, accelerating out of corners, and climbing compared to the xc? I'm trying to figure out this equation: improved dh vs. loss in handling/acceleration/climbing by going with the LT2? When I look at it this way it appears to give the opposite result of the other threads here posting similar questions...

    IOW, I don't want to give up agility for dh comfort. Relatively speaking, technical dh's make up a small part of my riding. I don't know which way to go; XC or LT2. Help me decide.

    Mike

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    169
    I would go with the LT2.I have never ridden a XC but i got off of a 2008 Epic S-Works(climbing machine) onto my LT2 about 6 weeks ago and will never look back.To me the bike is a complete package.I thought about building a XC for the cross country races but the more time i spend on my LT2 the more i think that is not going to happen.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tryallrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    265
    Just buy the lt2 i did sorry i have no experience on either but the lt2 seems to have it all. Just my 2 cents

  4. #4
    Got A Lust for Life...
    Reputation: indyfab25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,956
    I just won a local expert race on my LT2. Trust me, you won't be wanting for anything more than that bike. It f'n flies. I thought about building a race bike. The last time I raced on it, I said hell no to the race bike. After this race, the deal was sealed. I just switch out wheels(I9 Enduros/UST Fat Alberts) for Crossmax ST/Racing Ralph 2.25s and call it good. The bike is a weapon no matter how it is built or where it is ridden. I am still scratching my head at the thought that I can feel comfy on this bike doing damn near anything...epics...all mountain...races...24hour races...
    I am immune to your disdain.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tryallrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    265
    weeeerrrd what he said

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,723
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25
    I just won a local expert race on my LT2. Trust me, you won't be wanting for anything more than that bike. It f'n flies. I thought about building a race bike. The last time I raced on it, I said hell no to the race bike. After this race, the deal was sealed. I just switch out wheels(I9 Enduros/UST Fat Alberts) for Crossmax ST/Racing Ralph 2.25s and call it good. The bike is a weapon no matter how it is built or where it is ridden. I am still scratching my head at the thought that I can feel comfy on this bike doing damn near anything...epics...all mountain...races...24hour races...
    What kind of fork are you running for your race?

    With a Van36 upfront, even with compression almost fully locked, I still find climbing not as good as some of the other bikes I had before.

  7. #7
    Got A Lust for Life...
    Reputation: indyfab25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll
    What kind of fork are you running for your race?

    With a Van36 upfront, even with compression almost fully locked, I still find climbing not as good as some of the other bikes I had before.
    I am using a 09 Revelation 140 with Poploc Adjust. No problems climbing. Plush and the compression is awesome. I try to set it firm with a great blowoff so it is doesn't feel too firm. I use the Poploc a bunch. I never really thought I would. I never used U Turn on my Pike so I chose not to go with it.
    Last edited by indyfab25; 09-17-2008 at 09:55 AM.
    I am immune to your disdain.

  8. #8
    MEDBLKANOSCBLT2RP23
    Reputation: pakdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    280
    If you are coming off a Ti hardtail, the xc will ease the transition. You are still getting 4" of front and rear travel, right? You are going to climb different on fs vs a hardtail and will be staying in the "cockpit" more and spinning, even moreso on the LT2 vs XC. My Blur LT2 is a bit more "up right" in geometry as I have adjusted mine to compromise it vs the Classic I was riding.

    I have had 2 partly crushed lumbar vertebrae for 25 years and the Blur saved my riding as I was on a more active suspension fs bike and my back just couldn't handle it anymore.
    VPP has kept me riding comfortable for 5 years and going.

    Maybe it depends on where and how you are going to ride from now on. Do you want to race and be competitive or do you want some more comfort and are willing to give up some speed and start exploring some new riding?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    284
    I have a BLT1 and use it as my XC race bike and as my trail bike, that being said I have it set up fairly light (for an XL) and I am using the Fox F120RLC front fork on it to steepen the head angle slightly and to lose the weight of bigger forks.

    I essentially built an XL version of the Blur XC (Since they don't make one) - the Blur XC is 100mm F/115mm R and my Blur LT1 is 120mm F/135mm R. My bike climbs like a dream and the geometry is spot on for the way I ride it. I have won a few sport class races this year using this bike (just started racing this year).

    That being said I think it depends on what you plan to ride with it, bigger drops and more tech stuff than go for the BLT1, fast flowing single track than go with the BXC. I would have gone with the Blur XC if they made one in my size, but with the right components and fork you can make the BLT into a killer XC machine.

    Cheers

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by pakdoc
    I have had 2 partly crushed lumbar vertebrae for 25 years and the Blur saved my riding as I was on a more active suspension fs bike and my back just couldn't handle it anymore.
    VPP has kept me riding comfortable for 5 years and going.

    Maybe it depends on where and how you are going to ride from now on. Do you want to race and be competitive or do you want some more comfort and are willing to give up some speed and start exploring some new riding?
    For me, long steep climbs on my road bike kill my back. You usually don't get this long sustained effort while mtb'ing however. When I mtb, it's the l technical/rocky descents were I'm out of the saddle and bent over that kill my back. One reason I'm looking at a fs; so I can spend more time seated.

    How I'm going to ride is the confusing question. I don't really plan on racing, but a few may crop up Riding with the AM/non-racer folks, honestly and generally speaking, I find most of them slow. There are plenty of very rocky areas by me and I keep up, if not go faster, just fine. With a hard tail speed and momentum are more your friend. IOW, I often can't ride as slow as they do on my hard tail! Occasionally they'll find something I won't ride, but not often.

    Conversely, I can still keep up with most of the racers my age (40+) even though I don't train anymore. Especially when the road goes up and fast windy single track. However, I would like something more relaxed than a pure XC bike!

    Maybe what I really want is something in between the xc/lt2?

  11. #11
    emtb.pl
    Reputation: krolik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    876
    Quote Originally Posted by nm_gunslinger
    For me, long steep climbs on my road bike kill my back. You usually don't get this long sustained effort while mtb'ing however. When I mtb, it's the l technical/rocky descents were I'm out of the saddle and bent over that kill my back. One reason I'm looking at a fs; so I can spend more time seated.

    How I'm going to ride is the confusing question. I don't really plan on racing, but a few may crop up Riding with the AM/non-racer folks, honestly and generally speaking, I find most of them slow. There are plenty of very rocky areas by me and I keep up, if not go faster, just fine. With a hard tail speed and momentum are more your friend. IOW, I often can't ride as slow as they do on my hard tail! Occasionally they'll find something I won't ride, but not often.

    Conversely, I can still keep up with most of the racers my age (40+) even though I don't train anymore. Especially when the road goes up and fast windy single track. However, I would like something more relaxed than a pure XC bike!

    Maybe what I really want is something in between the xc/lt2?
    You just need the lt2 with light setup imo. I originaly come from pure xc racing and this really is one of better climbing fs bikes i know. It's not like Spark or Epic but it is far more versatile.
    btw, you'll like the more relaxed geo for your back (i believe a question if you've got your geo setup done correctly is out of place considering your background).
    I realy changed my position to more relaxed in a few last years and will never go back - no pain in the back.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    61
    The BLT2 is the definition of momentum in my opinion. It handles like a champ, blasts out of the corners, and climbs like a goat. As Indy stated it can also be a race bike. People will be wondering what blew by them when you leave them in the dust. You WILL NOT regret getting it. Just my opinion though.

  13. #13
    Bring on the Funk!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    322
    The BLT2 is pretty gosh darned amazing at climbing...and decending. If you build it with light bits it should be a more advanced version of the XC.

  14. #14
    CEB
    CEB is offline
    No horse'n round
    Reputation: CEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,132
    Unless SC has fixed the ground clearance/pedal slamming issues with BOTH the classic and XC, stick with the LT.........

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    209
    It's interesting how "bad" the XC fairs in this board and that not a single post liked it. Or is it that no one has directly tested both? I don't get it Is it really that bad? Other pure XC bikes, for example, the Anthem rate well on the Giant forums and the XC racing forum.

  16. #16
    bajamike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4

    I love my XC

    I am not sure why the XC gets a bad rap while people love the SL. I have owned a SL. I replaced it with the original Blur which I thought was way better. The maintainance took about one hour each year. No big deal. Recently I bought an XC frame at a great price. I can't believe how much better the XC is compared to the SL or original Blur. It is extremely well balanced when climbing. I can make way tighter turns. The down hill is better too but that may be the lower standover height allowing me to get a bigger front tire. I don't take big jumps. If you do, obviiously the XC is not for you. My feelings are that I need to get up the hill to enjoy the down hill and the XC gets me up better than anyother SC model.

  17. #17
    emtb.pl
    Reputation: krolik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    876

    BXC bad rep

    Now I would never say a bad word about the BXC. It climbs way better than my LT1 did (unless the uphill is realy rough and rocky). It descents very good for an xc bike but far from what the LT1 can do.
    But the improvement both uphill and downhill that's made on the LT2 makes me wonder if I could be quicker up there with the simmilarly set BXC. And makes me sure I would be far quicker there and back on the LT2. Even when it's indeed a pound heavier with same build and has higher front. No noticable kickback, linear feel on rear end, a lot less maintaince (ok, the LT1 had more issues here than the BXC)
    I wouldn't hesitate a second having ridden all three (BXC only for a week, LT1 for 16mnths, LT2 for 5mnths)

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    61
    I don't think anybody has many negative things to say about the BXC. It's just that the BLT2 has made a huge impression on everyone who has ridden it. I thought about aquiring the BXC before I rode the new LT2. I guess the WOW factor was just a little higher for the LT2 than the BXC. I certainly wouldn't call it a bad bike, though.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Okie Dokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,143
    Have a BLT2 and not ridden the BXC but love the BLT2 and will be starting both endurance racing and XC racing with it this fall and winter. I think the bike will not be the weak link at all but rather me.

    One thing that would make me hesitate about the BXC is that it is obviously at some point in time will be redesigned with the new linkage the LT2 has. I just could not see myself buying something which I know will be much improved in the next couple of years or so.

  20. #20
    Got A Lust for Life...
    Reputation: indyfab25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,956
    If anything, the bad rep comes from the pigeon holing of the new(xc) model. It appears to be a race only or racer type ride only bike. Versatility is where the BLT2 shines. To add to my backing of the versatility of the BLT2, I did another race on it yesterday. It was a 12 hour deal where I posted the 1st and 3rd fastest laps(over pros in attendance) on my LT2. I haven't thrown a leg over the XC as of yet, but something tells me that the super quick handling wouldn't be as good --for me-- at speed. There were more than a few people looking at my bike and scratching their heads wondering how the hell the fastest lap was done on an "all mountain" bike with 5.5" inches of travel. It is a category bender for sure. The added weight doesn't matter, at all. Quite simply, the bike is a rocket, an absolute rocket. I guess what I am saying is, you don't give up anything performance wise going with it over an xc. That added versatility is a benefit that would be missed on the xc if you chose to go in that direction. Gnarly downhills are a dream on this bike. I do not think so much of the xc. From the sounds of it, the LT2 is right up your alley.
    I am immune to your disdain.

  21. #21
    Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Reputation: BrentP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    380

    Love my XC.

    Quote Originally Posted by nm_gunslinger
    It's interesting how "bad" the XC fairs in this board and that not a single post liked it. Or is it that no one has directly tested both? I don't get it Is it really that bad? Other pure XC bikes, for example, the Anthem rate well on the Giant forums and the XC racing forum.
    I absolutely love my XC. Nothing else I've ridden even comes close for the type of riding I like to do (flowing trails, technical steeps, and technical downhills). When I get onto a rocky, rooty, technical downhill single track section, I burn everyone who tries to stay with me on longer travel bikes. On hard uphill sections it's the same story. It suits the old 'road racer' that still lives inside me, but if I was the type of rider who prefers freeriding and big drops, then obviously the XC would not be the right choice.

    Regarding comparisons to the Superlight, I had the chance to ride a buddy's SL last weekend and do a head to head comparison. We would ride a tough technical climb or downhill, and then ride back, switch bikes, and try it again. We both agreed we liked the Blur XC better. The VPP suspension made climbing easier, and it flowed much better on the twisty, rocky singletrack and downhills. From what I gather from this board, however, a lot of people prefer the SL because they think the pivots are more reliable or that they think the XC is a pure race bike, but I've never had an inkling of a problem with my XC ('07 model) and it does everything I need it to do (I'm not out taking big hits on it). I can't say enough good things about the bike.

    If I had one complaint about the XC, it's that the bottom bracket clearance could be better. I find on rocky sections that I'm often hitting my cranks if I'm pedaling through, and recently broke both of my Crankbrothers 4ti pedals on rocks (fortunately they repaired them, no questions asked). Now I'm sticking to XTR pedals for day to day use.
    Screw the shuttle, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

  22. #22
    emtb.pl
    Reputation: krolik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    876
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentP
    I absolutely love my XC. Nothing else I've ridden even comes close for the type of riding I like to do (flowing trails, technical steeps, and technical downhills). When I get onto a rocky, rooty, technical downhill single track section, I burn everyone who tries to stay with me on longer travel bikes. On hard uphill sections it's the same story. It suits the old 'road racer' that still lives inside me, but if I was the type of rider who prefers freeriding and big drops, then obviously the XC would not be the right choice.

    Regarding comparisons to the Superlight, I had the chance to ride a buddy's SL last weekend and do a head to head comparison. We would ride a tough technical climb or downhill, and then ride back, switch bikes, and try it again. We both agreed we liked the Blur XC better. The VPP suspension made climbing easier, and it flowed much better on the twisty, rocky singletrack and downhills. From what I gather from this board, however, a lot of people prefer the SL because they think the pivots are more reliable or that they think the XC is a pure race bike, but I've never had an inkling of a problem with my XC ('07 model) and it does everything I need it to do (I'm not out taking big hits on it). I can't say enough good things about the bike.

    If I had one complaint about the XC, it's that the bottom bracket clearance could be better. I find on rocky sections that I'm often hitting my cranks if I'm pedaling through, and recently broke both of my Crankbrothers 4ti pedals on rocks (fortunately they repaired them, no questions asked). Now I'm sticking to XTR pedals for day to day use.
    See - exactly what I mean - a perfect bike for your needs.
    Plus this is exactly what I would write about me loving the LT1 in march this year.
    Now take a ride on a light-built LT2 and come back to us.
    I'd love to see you saying you liked it less:P
    You got to try it to compare (I know you just say what you feel about the XC, no comparison)
    Seriously though, each of them is very nice.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25
    If anything, the bad rep comes from the pigeon holing of the new(xc) model. It appears to be a race only or racer type ride only bike. Versatility is where the BLT2 shines. To add to my backing of the versatility of the BLT2, I did another race on it yesterday. It was a 12 hour deal where I posted the 1st and 3rd fastest laps(over pros in attendance) on my LT2. I haven't thrown a leg over the XC as of yet, but something tells me that the super quick handling wouldn't be as good --for me-- at speed. There were more than a few people looking at my bike and scratching their heads wondering how the hell the fastest lap was done on an "all mountain" bike with 5.5" inches of travel. It is a category bender for sure. The added weight doesn't matter, at all. Quite simply, the bike is a rocket, an absolute rocket. I guess what I am saying is, you don't give up anything performance wise going with it over an xc. That added versatility is a benefit that would be missed on the xc if you chose to go in that direction. Gnarly downhills are a dream on this bike. I do not think so much of the xc. From the sounds of it, the LT2 is right up your alley.
    Congrat's on your rides. Still, I won more races, almost every one I entered as a cat4 my first full year of racing, on a schwinn supersport. Ditto riding a cannondale 3.0 as a sport. I wouldn't come close to classifying these bikes as a favorites. Though the cannondale geometry really worked well for me. Now if it wasn't such a harsh ride (100% rigid back then with an ultra-stiff fat tube aluminum ride). Obviously you got some talent.

    Unfortunately, unless you know someone it's really hard to put a bike through the paces. I plan on building whichever frame I get all out, so if I'm going to be spending $5K, I want to get it right

  24. #24
    Got A Lust for Life...
    Reputation: indyfab25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,956
    Quote Originally Posted by nm_gunslinger
    Congrat's on your rides. Still, I won more races, almost every one I entered as a cat4 my first full year of racing, on a schwinn supersport. Ditto riding a cannondale 3.0 as a sport. I wouldn't come close to classifying these bikes as a favorites. Though the cannondale geometry really worked well for me. Now if it wasn't such a harsh ride (100% rigid back then with an ultra-stiff fat tube aluminum ride). Obviously you got some talent.

    Unfortunately, unless you know someone it's really hard to put a bike through the paces. I plan on building whichever frame I get all out, so if I'm going to be spending $5K, I want to get it right

    Well, I certainly didn't mean to make the post about my riding, but thank you. I meant it as a testament as to how many different ways you can ride that bike. I get blown away every ride. I just cannot believe how you can ride this thing in so many different situations and have it feel just right. My partner was on a 4x and she was slaying it. SC makes some pretty interesting gear.
    Last edited by indyfab25; 09-21-2008 at 06:03 PM.
    I am immune to your disdain.

  25. #25
    emtb.pl
    Reputation: krolik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    876
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25
    Well, I certainly didn't mean to make the post about my riding, but thank you. I meant it as a testament as to how many different ways you can ride that bike. I get blown away every ride. I just cannot believe how you can ride this thing in so many different situations and have it feel just right. My partner was on a 4x and she was slaying it. SC makes some pretty interesting gear.
    I bet your attitude about that bike makes it goes faster too:P
    It works on mine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •