mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Blur XC vs Blur LT

No one asked this one "Blur XC vs Blur LT".

I have some questions on my next bike purchase. I am 6'3" and 190lbs. Inseam is 34. I like to ride the trails in the Pogonip area of Wilder Ranch (Santa Cruz), Downieville, Saratoga Gap, Yuba River any single track I can find. I might try racing the Downieville Classic this year. Also want the bike to ride up hills well. I am not an aggressive rider downhill. I will walk around some of the good obsticals I find in the Santa Cruz mtns.

I have owned a Santa Cruz Heckler in the 98 time frame (med frame with XTR), Moots YBB (med frame with XTR), plus a few more. Been doing this since 1989.

My current mtn bike (I sold the others) is a 2000 XLBullit I bought used on Craigslist 2 years ago. Yes with XTR. It has the Fox Vanilla RC shock and Marzocchi Bomber CR Z1 fork. I added 2 years ago the Crossmax SL rims for tubeless tires. I like tube tires better so I now run Kenda Karma 2.0 tires (same as on my sons Blur Classic XT components). I also run a Thomson 15 degree 140mm neck and riser bars.

I test drove a Nomad today. Simular to my Bullit. Slower in handling and climbing though. It was a short test ride. Found one 2 story dirt hill behind an apartment with a dirt single track used for short cuts to stores. It was steep and rocky with roots.

The Nomad did not make it up. Easy to go down though

Then I test drove a Blur XC Large frame with XT and the RLT fork. It blasted up the single track. (3 times in a row) Did not blink. I could bunny hop the bike. It drove like a Ferrari. I could slice and dice. I drove over the parking blocks. Then jumped over the parking blocks. Went up and down the tight tuff trail with no problem. Loved it.

Then I got home and a email from Santa Cruz said I would like the Blur LT the most. I had asked a detailed question between Nomad and Blur XC with some of the info from above.

So tomorrow I will try a Blur LT Large in stock.

I like the Large frame on the XC over my Bullit XL frame. I could get behind the seat better for lots of control. I can't do this well on my Bullit. I may shorten the neck on the Bullit to 90mm or so. I was wondering why I use to do some nasty steep hills on my Moots YBB Medium frame that I was too scared to do on the Bullit. The Blur XC I would not blink an eye. Also I walk the Bullit over lots of logs in the trails and the log jumps that are made. I feel after riding the Blur XC I would just tear them up. Handling is the way I like it. I use to tear it up on the Moots too.

Why did I sell the other bikes. Because I wanted more of a free ride bike. The Bullit is nice. But the Blur XC tears it up. Looking for the perfect machine.

What do all of you think of the Blur XC and LT.

doug
    Lafayette, CA

I didn't even read your post... I just read something about 195 pounds.
    Are you racing to podium on the Expert/ Elite circuit??? No?
    Buy an LT. The XC was not made for you.

O/K... I read your post. Better yet find yourself a Blur Classic. You really like the Large? I'm 5'10" and find it to be a great fit wit a 110mm stem. Let me know if you're looking for a used Blur Classic large. Only 1,000 miles... BTW, not to be snide, but the Nomad can make it up the hill fine... maybe it's the pilot
    Last edited by velocipus; 03-01-2006 at 11:25 PM.

mtbr member

BLT Supremacy

Went from BLur classic to BLT. The BLT will conquer anything if you have enough enough bees in yours knees for the ups & brass in your balls for the downs. Higher BB won't bang pedals on rocks. 5" travel will get you through hell -sitting down. Mine is battship grey -looks like a military vehicle. This is the true "All Mounatin" bike. Slightly heavy for long steep brutal climbs, but eats rocks & shits dust. So there.

I ride northern CA, Tahoe, Downieville, & all the big western bike meccas.

aka baycat
    I think a transition from a Bullit would have to be hmmmmm...

a BLT!

Why not the Nomad, a great ****ing bike and if you were used to pushing a Bullit the weight penalty shouldn't be all that bad.

Otherwise the BLT would suit your style of riding, beefier tubing in the front. Ability to run a long travel fork.

Not like there is any Northern California bias in this thread

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Well I bought the Blur XC Large with XT. Went home and put on my spare Crossmax SL rims with XTR gears. Took the wheels from my daughters bike which she doesn't ride much and put the heavy XT wheel set on hers.

I test drove the Nomad Large, Blur LT Large and the Blur XC Large. Near the bike store was a tough little track behind an apt with rocks and mud that was steep. It was a walking shortcut. Narrow with a steep side to it.

1. The Nomad only made it up half way. It was slow to accelerate and heavy to carry momentum up. It went down ok. Not as good as my Bullit though.

2. The Blur LT was fun! I made it up twice. Going down was nice. Almost as good as my Bullit for downhill. Uphill it was faster than the Bullit.

3. The Blur XC was also fun! I made it up many times. Going down was nice too. I had trouble choosing between the two Blur's. I called Santa Cruz and they told me to get the LT. I told them my history. They said at 190lbs I would be fine on a XC as long as I did not do radical jumps. I only go off 2 footers or so and ride lots of rocks. They said I would have no problem with the XC but get the LT. However I loved the quickness of the XC. So I bought it. The XC is much faster than the LT for climbing. I can stop the bike in a climb, balance, and start back up. Quick, no hesitation. The LT I could stop in the climb too, balance, but was a bit slow on the uptake again. I wanted a Ferrari. The XC is one. The LT is a Corvette. XC is lighter and quicker. Santa Cruz said I would have no problems with my weight.

Love my choice. Got home and changed to the Crossmax's. The Mavics are much lighter than the wheels that come with the XT Blur. The Blur is even faster now. I also run a set of Crossmax's on the Bullit. Love it. Will keep both. See what I ride the most

doug

Village Dirtbag
    BTW, not to be snide, but the Nomad can make it up the hill fine... maybe it's the pilot
    Well, since he is going to be the one piloting it, I'd say it is pertitenant information. Hans Ray could probably ride it on everything from a Huffy to a V-10. That doesn't mean those bikes are suitable for this guy.

He likes to climb, and isn't very agressive on downhills, and already has a Bullitt. Seems like a good candidate for an XC or a Classic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by @dam
    Well, since he is going to be the one piloting it, I'd say it is pertitenant information. Hans Ray could probably ride it on everything from a Huffy to a V-10. That doesn't mean those bikes are suitable for this guy.

He likes to climb, and isn't very agressive on downhills, and already has a Bullitt. Seems like a good candidate for an XC or a Classic to me.
    I was just saying that the Nomad is a great climber for a 6" travel bike. I wasn't suggesting he buy it over the Blur.
    I'm a Clyde Blur classic rider and it does whatever I tell it to. I was suggesting maybe the XC was a bit underbuilt for a 195 pound guy. It is a race bike after all.
    It seems he bought the XC. I'm sure it will be fine for him. If he cracks the frame, I'm sure SC will be happy to take care of him so long as it's under warranty.
    However you spread it, SC make a great VPP frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm keeping the Bullit.

Will probably change suspension though.

1. Van 36 RC2 in front and trying to find info on rear shock. Thinking DHX Air. Need a size though.

I just love the BlurXC. Will be a fun fun bike. Need to really test it though. If I ever break the frame I will make it into a BLT. I am aware of the low BB. But the fun in climbing with this is to much to walk away with. The Bullit may make a better all mountain than the BLT. Mine is really plush. Just want to stiffen the front end up (loosy goosy, but plush) and be able to lock out or slow down the rear shock like the new rp3 on the XC.

Any shock suggestions are appreciated.

doug