JLM
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Blur XC shock: RP3 or 5th Element???

[I am sure this topic has probably been discussed innumerable times on this forum, so if someone can point me to a thread that would be fine also...]

Fellas,
    I am ordering my blur xc next week and just wanted some feedback from those of you who have experience with the two stock shock options on your likes, dislikes, and various quirks of the Fox and the 5th element.

I will be mating this shock to a 05 F80X on the front, so yeah, you know this is going to be a short travel XC bike and not toward the trail bike side. I live in Oklahoma and our trails are mostly tight, winding, roller coaster single track with ruts and roots, very little major climbs or descents here... also I weigh around 135lbs, probably around 140ish with the camelbak and what not. All the help and feedback that you blur xc riders can provide would be of great assistance. Thanks alot,

jlm

mtbr member
    sorry i'm in the process of ordering one too. i'm going with the rp3. i think i've read enough in the past that riders were happier with it. i'm sure you can't go wrong with either.

a little off topic but why have you chosen to go with a 80mm fork? are many riders running the blur xc with an 80 mm fork? a friend of mine has a medium with a 80 mm fork and it feels a little awkward for my taste. (she bought it used.) i've only had minimal saddle time on it but i think i prefer 100mm for a better balanced bike. all you have to do is change out the spacers on the F80X to get it too 100 right? or is that only for the vanilla forx?

you mention you don't have much climbs so isn't that the only thing good about a shorter front end, tech climbs?

JLM
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    jr711,

I bought the fork last year for my hardtail, and I am simply switching all of the parts I can (drivetrain, wheels, brakes) over to the Blur. I have kind of been wondering about the 80 mm thing myself, SC says it is fine to have this fork on the blur and that it gives it a quick and responsive XC-type feel to the steering and handling of the bike. I have to send my fork back to Fox anyway for it's yearly service (and possibly a new steerer tube/crown as my current one may be cut too short for the blur) so I may see if they can perform the adjust to 100mm, although since they claim it "cannot" (or should not) be done, I'm not sure they will, but we shall see....

Cookie Monster
    Oct 2005

RP3 Nice nice

Quote Originally Posted by JLM
    jr711,

I bought the fork last year for my hardtail, and I am simply switching all of the parts I can (drivetrain, wheels, brakes) over to the Blur. I have kind of been wondering about the 80 mm thing myself, SC says it is fine to have this fork on the blur and that it gives it a quick and responsive XC-type feel to the steering and handling of the bike. I have to send my fork back to Fox anyway for it's yearly service (and possibly a new steerer tube/crown as my current one may be cut too short for the blur) so I may see if they can perform the adjust to 100mm, although since they claim it "cannot" (or should not) be done, I'm not sure they will, but we shall see....
    I got the RP3 on mine and love the three adjustments. But I do some long fire road climbs and then rocky downhills. Maybe if you don't have long climbs, the 5th element would be good. But then again, what if you end up somewhere where there are big hills, then you would have a good time with RP3. Where you are you could just leave the Rp3 in the middle setting for all around trail cruising. Hmm, what a fine problem to ponder.
    Good luck. And have fun with your new frame. I LOVE mine!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I haven't tried a 5th on the blur xc, but the RP3 on the fly settings would be a big plus in my eyes.

I have ridden mine with a f100x on it, and I am thinking of putting a Marz marathon sl 2005 that I have on my hardtail on it. The f100x feels really balanced travel wise on the bike, but it always feels harsh. I think a fork that you can tune on the fly like the RP3 will give the rider more options when you want to go more plush.....like on recreation epics verses a race.

Just my 2cents.

mtbr member

Rp3

I've got the rp3 on my XC and love it!
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I've had problems with my RP3

I have a new Blur LT and have only about 60 miles on it and have had to send my RP3 back to FOX twice already for the dreaded "stuck down" problem (numerous posts on this topic here).

Just a head's up. I've never ridden a 5th. The RP3 was great on the two rides it worked, but it wasn't fun walking my back to my truck in the snow when it got stuck.

Just my 1.2 cents (after taxes)....Fish

mtbr member
    I ordered a Blur XC with the 5th Element shock. I have had some experience with the shock as well. Previously I had a Heckler setup as a trail bike and thought the 5th was great. When compressing it had a hiss sound but discovered that's just the shock working.

I have a 2003 Superlight in which the Fox shock on it has never been serviced (which might seem crazy) or lost air other than seasonal or altitude changes in different regions. If it's not broke why try to fix a non existant problem.

I think with either shock you'll be happy. Life is good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    [QUOTE=JLM][I am sure this topic has probably been discussed innumerable times on this forum, so if someone can point me to a thread that would be fine also...]

Fellas,
    I am ordering my blur xc next week and just wanted some feedback from those of you who have experience with the two stock shock options on your likes, dislikes, and various quirks of the Fox and the 5th element.

I will be mating this shock to a 05 F80X on the front, so yeah, you know this is going to be a short travel XC bike and not toward the trail bike side. I live in Oklahoma and our trails are mostly tight, winding, roller coaster single track with ruts and roots, very little major climbs or descents here... also I weigh around 135lbs, probably around 140ish with the camelbak and what not. All the help and feedback that you blur xc riders can provide would be of great assistance. Thanks alot,

Hi, Í have experience with both the 5th and RP3 on the original Blur. I also own a F100X - on a Sworks HT. I had reliability issues with the 5th (oil spillage), until the shock had no more rebound control. The RP3 has only been good to me (incl. an 8 day Cape epic, 2x 24hrs races and a 230km race in 24hours). You can feel a marked difference between the three settings.

The biggest difference between the 2 shocks (aside the reliability) are the initial feel - RP3 = plush and the 5th = harsh (which transleted to a snappier feel at the rear). The feel of the 5th depends alot on small chamber pressure.

Imo get the 5th element - if the reliability issues have been resolved (check out its review on MTBR - mine should be also be there): its suits the terralogic's feel much more.

On the F100X: I chose the 100 above the 80 since you can decrease travel to 80 (but not the other way round I understand?) and if you ride it with substantial sag it feels less harsh and the effect on geometry is negligible (for XC racing).

JLM
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

good info so far...

thanks for the information and .02 so far and keep it coming...

The 5th Element seems to be the lighter (weight wise) of the two options, but many seem to perfer the tuneability and activation/settings of the ProPedal on the RP3. I am going to try to test ride a blur in the next few weeks and see if that helps.
    Also, looks like I'm going to have to opt for a 100 mm fork over the F80X I have now. If anyone has or knows someone looking to unload an 05 or 06 F100X or F100RLT, please post here or PM me.

MEDBLKANOSCBLT2RP23
    Go with the 5th Element with that set up.
    I have both the 5th Element and a Pushed 06 RP3 and the 5th would be my choice for a race set up. The RP3 has noticable sag in all 3 modes which is a good thing for aggressive trail riding. The 5th gives you the firmest pedaling platform that you could want for fast hammering but with less small bump sensativity. RP3 ProPedal is not as effective as 5th Elements platform.
    You will notice improved traction with the RP3 in the semi-ProPedal mode when technical climbing is involved and the bike rides a tad bit lower to the ground with the RP3, esp in rock gardens.
    5th Element service has been great and they just sent me a new shock after 2 years with the old one. I run 105-130 mm adjustable fork and do not race so I like the more "plush" RP3 right now.
    Also, if you are riding in freezing temps, you will eventually experience "stuck down" with probably all oil/air rear shocks. Seals firm up and loose air pressure while the oil thickens and can't function with valves etc. I have thought about using a piece of cut innertube, foam and a disposable hand warmer wrapped around the shock. Maybe been thinking too much!
    Congrats on your new bike and consider a new fork with variable travel 100+ just in case you change your mind later....
    Last edited by pakdoc; 02-11-2006 at 06:40 AM.