Uncle

blur xc mud guard

It's been covered a few times in here, but I thought I'd post some pics of my rainy morning project anyway.

While adding a 650B wheel up front to my '07 Blur XC has improved the handling, it left me with a few spare parts -- a hoop, a few favorite front tires, and a bolt-on fender. And after a few muddy races and stream crossings, I noticed that the vpp link is a repository for all mud, grass, and anything else that might be slung from the rear tire.

I chopped up a Planet Bike Flipper front fender. It worked okay up front with a 26" wheel, but the hardware and attachment bits were getting really fussy to work with, and to boot, the larger wheel rubbed it occasionally. I cut a 3/4" x 2.5" slot in it for the rear seat stay brace, and then adjusted it to a very snug fit. With the rear wheel off the bike, I have to press really hard to get it to snap into place. I had to trim in two other spots -- had to shorten the lowest portion by 2/3", and had to cut away the drive side to allow chain and front der. clearance. I will likely cut a vertical groove on the lower, LH side to allow for a velcro band, but it's good to go as is.

I left it long intentionally to prevent mud from collecting on the seat tube / seat post / seat post clamp area. Not sure about other Blur owners, but I have found that mine collects far more mud inside my seat tube than any other bike I've owned. I'm not sure why this is, but hopefully this tendency is a thing of the past.

This is a Large '07 Blur XC frame, with a new WTB moto raptor 2.24 on a stan's Olympic rim -- no clearance issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.