mtbr member
    Nov 2010

New question here. Blur XC "Factory" Shock Tune

Hi, I have a 2010 RP23 with boost valve on my '10 Blur XC frame. It says "Boost Valve Tune 225", "Rebound M", and "Velocity Tune L" on the side. I am wondering if these parameters are set by Santa Cruz for the frame, and if so, what if any advantages would be had by having the shock custom tuned? Also, how can SC order up a custom tune for a shock if they don't take into account rider weight?

I was thinking of Push Industries, but if SC sets these shocks up specifically for each frame, then it may not improve my experience much to tinker with it.

b a n n e d
    I'm wondering the same thing. My Blur came with an Extra Light rebound, Light Velocity, and a 175 BV tune.

I'm having a little difficulty getting it dialed in.

mtbr member
    I confirm your datas, lassiar

my 2010 Blur XC RP23 BV settings without any changes:
    BVT: 225 / R: M / VT: L

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hi,
    Interesting that my Tallboy has the same 225Bv, RB- M, VT-L. Maybe specific to the travel more than the frame/wheel size. I'd also like to know what the 2011 RP 23's are spec'd to. I'm thinking Push also.

Kush

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Someone at SC should know about this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have the frame on the way with the Monarch 3.3 and also decided to cut to the chase and get the Push Monarch RT3 tuned for the Blur XC. The switch to air from a bigger bike and coil shocks made me decide to get the Push version. I have not much idea what to expect from an air shock. I'll compare the two and write back in a couple weeks. I guess I'll ebay the 3.3 or keep as a spare.

I was also considering the RP23, but didn't want to order one with stock settings, and the closeout frame I got only came with the monarch 3.3. Interesting to read what you guys think about your Fox shocks. I feel that the shock tune can make or break the feel of the bike. My other bike has an Elka tuned for the frame and I have a few different springs etc.. It's nice to get the sus working the way you want it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I just spoke to a tech at SC:

While they DO order up custom tunes for each of their frames, the tech advised me that a slight improvement is possible from Push. SC does take into account rider weight, but they assume an "average" range of frame loading (he was not specific as to what the mean value is).

My best guess is that if you're on the lighter side of the abstract weight value they use, then you're like me and have to drastically reduce preload in order to get full travel.

On my old Blur frame, SC recommended 150psi. for my 150lbs. rider weight. I ended up running between 108-114psi. with 60% of my weight on the back end. I was never able to use SC recommended pressure settings and get 3/4 movement out of the stanchion.