Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Blur XC Carbon Downtube Protection

969 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Surfas 
#1 ·
Yes I know...this again. :D

I'm a frogs hair away from pulling the trigger on a Blur XCc. I'll be doing a full frame protection (i.e. Frameskins or something equivalent).

But I'm coming up short with good ideas for structurally protecting the downtube from the large, sharp rocks that are kicked up by the front tire, not just from knicks/scrapes.

I ride 100% in the desert (Phoenix of anyone cares), 2-3 times per week and we have LOTS of individual, sharp rocks that are constantly kicked up into downtubes.

Homemade is fine, but I'd be looking for suggestions on the raw materials.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
go to any reputable automotive window tint shop in your area. 3M makes a product called clear braw. it comes in up to 8 mil thick. it is very clear, flexable, tough and easy to install if you know what you are doing. I have installed it on TONS of frames and it it holds up to virtually anything. It is specifically designed to protect the hoods and bumpers of new cars from flying debris on the freeway, including sharp rocks! check it out, its worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.