mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Blur XC 21.5 lbs!

I went to a LBS where my wheels were built and the owner tells me he has a blur XC weighing in at 21.5 lbs. Incredible! His wheel weigh 1250 grams, DT ceramic hubs. Sweet race bike.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    How is that possible to get it to that weight?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Without a picture of it hanging from a digital scale, I call BS.

mtbr member
    No way Jose.
    Get over it!

mtbr member
    Im just gona go with the crowd... no way. Its hard enough to get a carbon to a weight like that, but an aluminum? Naa...

Get Down Do you
    Pictures or it didn't happen. We have one of our small hardtail team bikes sitting at 22 even and that was not an easy feat a 21.5 blurxc is probably missing the wheels.
    Progression is fine just remember to respect your roots.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    21.5 lbs is pretty unbelievable. I just put money down on a large Blur XC today. It is black chrome. An 06 color??? Full XT components with an RP23. I plan to swap out the DT Swiss for Mavic SLRs and hope to get the weight around 24 lbs. I'm pretty stoked. 23 lbs might be doable, but 21.5?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trekboy79
    21.5 lbs is pretty unbelievable. I just put money down on a large Blur XC today. It is black chrome. An 06 color??? Full XT components with an RP23. I plan to swap out the DT Swiss for Mavic SLRs and hope to get the weight around 24 lbs. I'm pretty stoked. 23 lbs might be doable, but 21.5?
    Black Chrome is a 2006 color.
    "The stupid shall be punished."

mtbr member
    OK! Tell your LBS to stop smokin that S*%T. It Maybe top quality, but it is seriously altering his vision. Maybe that 1 is a seven. But Seriously I have not seen a SC XC at that weight and I dare not ride as a potential there is something missing from the build (maybe the frame).

Trying a little
    that's nothing my lbs owner has his down to 20.000lbs EXACTLY to 3 decimal places. no photo either.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Not a chance in hell for a Blur to get down to that weight. Take a look at what the pros are racing and there's hardly a bike down to that weight except for the super trick Specialized carbon Epics that Sauser and Killeen ride and they even get down to the detail of using carbon forks and stuff like aluminum disc caliper mounting screws!

My old Blur weighed 29.000 lbs EXACTLY to 3 decimal places on my out of calibration scale.

Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    that's nothing my lbs owner has his down to 20.000lbs EXACTLY to 3 decimal places. no photo either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    He told me he has a picture of it on a scale Saying 21.5 lbs. I didn't actually see it, but, he sounded pretty honest. It must have been a small because he's short and light. His front shock he told me was a skareb, lighter than the fox he had on previous. ???

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Lightweights

I run my Blur with Full XTR, some titanium bits, minimalist Ti saddle and tweaked out RaceFace components for the rest, as well as fairly light-weight Kenda Small Block 8 tires with 'lite' tubes (the above pic is from last summer when I was running a set of Conti' Diesels), and the bike weighs in at around 28 pounds. What you see in the picture above is $5000 worth of very carefully chosen components / polished aluminum frame - the cat who says he is running one at 21.5 pounds is smoking da' gange... lots of it... he should send some my way...

Andrew D.
    www.cdnav.com

PS: How embarrassing; Pavement... I'm only on it in the Pic' cause' we are on the highway after a MASSIVE decent down the discontinued / closed Shingle Creek Road that starts behind the horse ranch up at Apex's parking lot. We climbed to the top of beaconsfield Mt (Apex Ski resort), and then desended five thousand feet on single track / fire-road to the pavement in the valley - whattttta rush!

Last edited by Digital; 05-14-2007 at 04:33 AM.

Trying a little
    Quote Originally Posted by bog
    Not a chance in hell for a Blur to get down to that weight. Take a look at what the pros are racing and there's hardly a bike down to that weight except for the super trick Specialized carbon Epics that Sauser and Killeen ride and they even get down to the detail of using carbon forks and stuff like aluminum disc caliper mounting screws!

My old Blur weighed 29.000 lbs EXACTLY to 3 decimal places on my out of calibration scale.
    Couldn't agree more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    So I stopped by the bike shop this morning to pick up my wheels and got some more info regarding his build. It's a small frame with juicy carbon brakes, Ti hardware and sub 500 gram tires. He is a lightweight. He built up a medium for his friend weighing 23.5 lbs. And my mistake he said his bike weighs 21.4 lbs?? Je ne sais pas?

Trying a little
    That's cool. But why stop there? Regarding brakes, seriously, who among us needs both front AND rear brakes? I didn't think so. And the same with a front shifter. Dump it and the triple chainrings - who need's em? Make that blur xc 1x9 (ultegra road cassette obviously) with one brake and while you're at it, cut the excess knobs off those twister pros, dremel those pedals, and go for sub 20, sit back, open a pack of camel lights and admire this great bike. Then get out and ride! just be sure to wear your helmet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    21 1/4 lb Blur XC

waynomtb had a 21.2 lb blurXC. That was with a reba and karma tires. Every part adds up a few grams. It wouldn't be hard to shave that down to about 19.5 lbs and still be a ridable race bike.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I gotta go home and weigh mine now...wtf. Maybe I don't wanna know and keep believing it's around 24 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

It' for real

I hope this clears things up.
    read'em and weep (I hope you can see the numbers).
    the med I built for a 180lbs customer/riding buddy is 23lbs even .
    If I was willing to risk reliability I bet I can get it sub 21lbs
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    sonofab... now that bike is LIGHT!

Busted!!!
    Take the front tire off the floor

Seems pretty light. What does a Blur XC frame weigh in at anyway?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I wish my camera could get a pic of the complete bike and still see the # on the scale.
    the frame weighs 5.00 lb for a size small.
    If I put stans rotors, xo gripshift instead of triggers and 4ti pedals it will probably get under 21lbs. even lighter would be to use the old RS Sid world cup, but I wouldn't like the flexi front end. the skareb is a great compromise between weight and strengh (for some one my size). the bike is ridden hard on a regular basis and I'm not afraid of hitting small jumps with it.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Those scales have been proven to be quite unreliable. I weighed my Nomad on a freshly, professionally calibrated scale at my work and it came in at 30.0 lbs then put it on one of those scales at my LBS and it came in at 31.8 lbs. They have cheap internals and are about as accurate as a bathroom scale and need calibrating once in a while (if that's possible).

Trying a little
    Couldn't agree more about the inaccuracy of that scale.

Here's what you need for proper bike measurements: :-)

http://www.onedigitalscales.com/scal...cale1050000lb/

mtbr member
    Lol, damn guys... Just leave it alone. He has a light bike...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bog
    Those scales have been proven to be quite unreliable. I weighed my Nomad on a freshly, professionally calibrated scale at my work and it came in at 30.0 lbs then put it on one of those scales at my LBS and it came in at 31.8 lbs. They have cheap internals and are about as accurate as a bathroom scale and need calibrating once in a while (if that's possible).
    FYI the medium Nomad I have here at the shop weighs exactly 30.0lbs on my scale

Members who have read this thread: 0