mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Blur TRc with Reverb Stealth

Just completed a modification to my new Blur TRc, and it's worked out perfectly, so thought I would share it with others... I haven't seen anyone else doing this on the TRc yet, but if someone has already posted this, apologies....

As someone who doesn't like the standard Reverb cable flapping about, especially when dropped, I am a big fan of the Reverb Stealth option, but my new frame wouldn't accommodate it as standard... As per the pro reviews, the KS Lev doesn't seem up to Reverb standards long term either, so I've modified my brand new Blur TRc to take the Reverb Stealth...

In a nutshell, I first removed the seatpost and bottle mount bolts on the top of the downtube to start with and shined an intense light through the hole whilst in a pitch black room, and gladly light was getting through the bottom bracket area, confirming there is a route from one point to the other, phew!

Knowing this, I removed the shock to get some space to operate a drill, then carefully started drilling out the upper of the two bottle mounts. If I had a super-small drill, I prob would have chosen the lower of the two as the cable routing may have been easier.... But the upper one also works great! Anyways, importantly, having done this on my Mojo HD also, I knew to gradually and carefully drill the hole open with bigger and bigger bits, until the core is big enough to take the reverb hose, and then opened the angle of the hole to approx 45 degrees to ease the entry of the hose down the downtube towards the bottom bracket....
    Once this was done, you route some dummy hose from the bottle-mount end up to the seatpost, then join it with the reverb hose using the double-ended threaded connector, and pull the Reverb hose back through the bike, out the bottle-mount, and reconnect to the Reverb remote. Making sure youe get the Reverb seatpost then set at the correct height, you can then pull the Reverb hose through the frame so it's relatively taught, and set up the cable-routing so that it's attached and cable tied to the frame mounts for the rear brake, along side the other cable.

Something to note is that the bottle-mount is just a metal insert, so I'm reliably informed would not be too difficult to put back in should you choose to sell the frame or whatever, but I would ask why you would want to go back anyway??!

The end result is a neatly routed, Reverb stealth conversion which leaves a nice clen looking bike to complement the lack of front derailleur with the XX1 groupo. It truly runs silently now, and the Reverb works flawlessly as ever.

Still getting the rear shock and Deville forks honed, but loving the ride so far, and this way, the gears and Reverb are one less thing to worry about.

Hope you like the conversion.

Here's some pics, apologies for the quality, I finished it all late at night and was keen to get out and ride the next day so haven't taken any more pics yet....

Blur TRc with Reverb Stealth-reverb-stealth-1.jpgBlur TRc with Reverb Stealth-reverb-stealth-2.jpgBlur TRc with Reverb Stealth-reverb-stealth-3.jpg

mtbr member
    You were able to do that without cutting carbon? Only the insert?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by flyxaos View Post
    You were able to do that without cutting carbon? Only the insert?
    Yes, only the metal insert was affected, same as when as I did my Mojo HD....

Rider of Berms
    I like being able to run a water bottle. Points for a creative solution that looks to keep your warranty mostly intact.

Why didn't you try to run through the bottom mounts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Personally I use a camelbak, I ride pretty rough terrain locally, so water bottles always bounce loose, so I don't use the bottle-mounts.

As for running it through the bottom mounts, I did consider this, as this is how the Mojo HD has it setup, but with the BTRc, there are no natural mounts on the underside, and it would have looked messy to have the hose routing on the topside of the downtube, to then curve under into the bottom mounts.

As for warranty, I can put the threaded bottle insert back in at any time, so no warranty issues foreseeable....

mtbr member
    If the mounts are threaded why not unscrew the mount and just put in a rubber grommet?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    threaded internally (to accept bolts for water bottle cage...), not externally...

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Very impressive humdinger!!!
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by humdinger View Post
    threaded internally (to accept bolts for water bottle cage...), not externally...
    AH, I see what you're saying now. Wonder how hard it would be to pull the insert out?

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    Massive! Really want to run Stealth on my BLTc but no options to do so unless I drill a hole, which makes me REAL nervous, so I won't.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    AH, I see what you're saying now. Wonder how hard it would be to pull the insert out?
    correct size drill bit, rivnut, and installation tool.
    unless they are bonded in ???

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So does this void the warranty or not?

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Yes, yes, I did.

Yes, I'm fully aware my warranty is void. I'm gambling that I'll not have an issue there, and that if any issue happens somewhere else on the frame, they'll take care of me, or at the least give me a crash replacement deal.

That said, I did it fully knowing they could tell me to go screw if something happens. I'm going on the thinking that they have the front tri and this part of the seat tube built up enough to handle it, though of course not with that intent. Anyhow, it appears most people have issues with their rear triangles and linkage bits way, way more than the SC front triangles.

Going fishing.

Heat shrink tubing along the inner bits.

Pre-clean up. 300 something fine grit sandpaper, wet. Rolled into a small tube, cleaned up the edges. Coated with a couple layers of clear nail polish.

6mm hole. Trimmed the inner tab bits of the grommet to get it to smush inside cleanly.

Obviously, do at your own risk, cognizant of possible repercussions.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper