Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Blur TRc pictures

Cant find a thread with TRc pictures, so I'll start on off with my build.. Sneeks in at 24.95lbs.. first ride in the Rocky Peak district England and its one Rocket of a bike.. never felt under travelled
    The Chainset btw, is XTR M970, then I turned down a worn out outer ring to make it into a bash, the ceramic coated at Shawnee bike coating

Last edited by simonm; 08-30-2011 at 07:43 AM.

mtbr member
    love the black and green color. such a sick lookin bike man.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    cheers, looks even better in the flesh, the matt black finish is amazing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Beautiful built simonm. Size of the frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    many thanks, I'm very happy with it.. Size is a small.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    very nice, Simon

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    to continue this Blur TRc picture thread:

mine is size M

Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004
    Simon - nice work on the cranks.

Zauberer - 36 Float fork? How much travel?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    How is the new shadow plus xtr living up to the hype. Im considering one. Would love to know what you think of it!

mtbr member
    How much abuse can the trc can take?

mtbr member
    Those are some sweet rides.
    2017 Pivot Mach 5.5
    2017 SC Hightower CC
    2017 SC Tallboy 3 CC
    2013 Jackal

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Sweet rides!

Simonm: Digging the Renthal stem - wish we saw those more in the US.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravitythief76 View Post
    How is the new shadow plus xtr living up to the hype. Im considering one. Would love to know what you think of it!
    I decided to try this shadow+, because I wanted to know if I could ride without a chainguard and don't drop my chain.

My experience after 1 month:

No, the shadow+ doesn't eliminate dropping the chain from the middle ring totally.
    On really ambitious descends with rocks and roots I've dropped down my chain sooner or later ...

The shadow+ reduces the oscillation of the chain, that's for sure. My chain is more quiet, less hammering against the chainstays

My conclusion: the shadow+ is perfect for smooth trails, but for engaged all mountain riding the shadow+ is not enough for me. A chainguide will be the way to go in the future.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedrd View Post

Zauberer - 36 Float fork? How much travel?
    axle to crown is reduced to 520mm, so the travel should be around 135mm I think

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zauberer View Post
    I decided to try this shadow+, because I wanted to know if I could ride without a chainguard and don't drop my chain.

No, the shadow+ doesn't eliminate dropping the chain from the middle ring totally.
    On really ambitious descends with rocks and roots I've dropped down my chain sooner or later ...

The shadow+ reduces the oscillation of the chain, that's for sure. My chain is more quiet, less hammering against the chainstays

My conclusion: the shadow+ is perfect for smooth trails, but for engaged all mountain riding the shadow+ is not enough for me. A chainguide will be the way to go in the future.
    Exactly what i wanted to know. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yzblue242 View Post
    Sweet rides!

Simonm: Digging the Renthal stem - wish we saw those more in the US.
    Many thanks, Yeh, there really cool, good size and rise too.. looks amazing in the flesh. There Fatbars are really nice too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My Large TRc... 22.9 pounds in it's current form. No dropped chain with my Shadow+, but I'm sure the XCX guide (1x10) is helping with that, and it's definitely quiet. I only have crappy iPhone pics at the moment, but it'll give ya the idea!

For anyone that's curious about the lighter build, I also have a Nomad, so the TRc really is my XC/Trail rig although it's taken everything I've thrown at it so far.

b a n n e d
    Do want. Badly.

Will wait until better colors come out . . . . though that green and black would go nicely with my Special ed. Hopes

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

What a great bike, super fun

Here are some pictures of my Trc. The handling of this bike is off the charts. Super fast and super fun.

Here is my glossy beast

Name:  The bike.JPG
Views: 9770
Size:  141.7 KB

I changed most of my parts over from my XCc - the bar is new and the XX revelation world cup with carbon crown is new. Nice.
    Name:  Front bar.JPG
Views: 9841
Size:  154.9 KB

Showing off my 20mm axle in a Rev XX WC with 2012 DNA internals - 20mm not available here you see, but I wanted to keep my hadleys.
    Name:  Front axle.JPG
Views: 9686
Size:  167.2 KB

Trying out another shock option
    Name:  Shock.JPG
Views: 9679
Size:  155.3 KB

Trying out the Lopes limited edition chain guide. I have been pretty happy with it so far, doesn't drag too much on the climbs. However, these things get noiser with use (I am betting).

Name:  Chain guide.JPG
Views: 10523
Size:  147.1 KB

Anyway, loving the bike. The more aggressive you are with it the more it rewards you.

b a n n e d
    ^^^ How did you get a Gloss frame? I thought these were only available in Matte carbon?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    High quality pictures William

I'm thinking to put this chainguide on my TRc.
    Is it a good choice?

Today I've some moved pictures of my Blur TRc.
    Nothing special, but I hope you could imagine the fun factor of this trailbike

<object width="580" height="326"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=28635913&amp;server=vimeo.co m&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_port rait=0&amp;color=46f700&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autop lay=0&amp;loop=0" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=28635913&amp;server=vimeo.co m&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_port rait=0&amp;color=46f700&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autop lay=0&amp;loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="580" height="326"></embed></object>
    Last edited by zauberer; 09-07-2011 at 10:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Oh I forgot to mention I upgraded my XX brakes to 2012 models. The new ones are very smooth to use, I am very impressed so far. The smoothness adds to the already excellent modulation.

So far so good with the chain guide, the test will be how it goes over time I guess.

Hey great video zauberer. It shows some really good high speed sections, nice. I will be planning a trip to Switzerland, and I loved that footage you had there - some similarities to what I expect it will be like, I saw the cable car in the background in one spot. Good work mate.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by godfather View Post

For anyone that's curious about the lighter build, I also have a Nomad, so the TRc really is my XC/Trail rig although it's taken everything I've thrown at it so far.

Thank you for helping me rationalize owning a TRC while still holding onto my NomadC.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think the gloss finish is a result of using heli-tape. I've got a very similar finish on my Blur XCc as a result.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    ^^^ How did you get a Gloss frame? I thought these were only available in Matte carbon?
    Maybe he uses a (carbon) polishing wax or something like this, because Matte surfaces are very sensible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    Thank you for helping me rationalize owning a TRC while still holding onto my NomadC.
    Hahaha! Glad someone else out there is in the same boat!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

blur trc

I have a few rides on my new Blur TRc. Coming off blur LTc with short shock. I loved that bike, but it wasn't perfect. I was hoping the TRc would be better than my modified LT in a couple areas. The short shock blur LTc had similar bb height (12.75), head angle (67) and 115 mm of travel which was really fun. The seat angle ended up being too slack. The bb was really low. I felt like the suspension was compromised as the short shock didn't really work with Santa Cruz' plan for leverage rate/axle path.
    Well, Santa Cruz fixed it all with the TRc. I love the geometry. My bb is 12.9, head angle is 67 with 140 fork. Unbelievable handling. I am really impressed with the suspension. The Kashima shock is noticeably more plush than any other 125 mm bike I have ridden. By the way, if you get one, don't forget the pro pedal works a bit backwards compared to the previous versions. Pedaling platform works well. I couldn't be happier with the bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur TRc pictures-dscn1427.jpg  

Blur TRc pictures-dscn1428.jpg  

b a n n e d
    I'm gettin' kinda pissed at all you people RAVING how great this bike is (because I don't have one) . . . . isn't there ANYTHING about this thing you don't like (that I can use to internally justify not having one)?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hahaha! Glad someone else out there is in the same boat!
    Urm.. I own a TRc and a Nomad C too... is there a pattern here ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm gettin' kinda pissed at all you people RAVING how great this bike is (because I don't have one) . . . . isn't there ANYTHING about this thing you don't like (that I can use to internally justify not having one)?

A few more rides in......

Nope, this bike is fantastic.. Only think I may do is drop the fork to 130... I don;t think I'll even notice Downhill.. but will be a bit less wandery up hil..

BTW, did I mention this bike is amazing ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    High quality pictures William

I'm thinking to put this chainguide on my TRc.
    Is it a good choice?

Today I've some moved pictures of my Blur TRc.
    Nothing special, but I hope you could imagine the fun factor of this trailbike

Where is that Trail ! its supurb ! nice riding, nice vid too

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by simonm View Post
    I don't have a TRC yet. Its in the plan for next spring.

b a n n e d
    . . . this bike is fantastic . . . did I mention this bike is amazing ?

My wife is going to be sooooo pissed if she see's a new bike show up. I can't exactly camouflage it either since the current bike is silver. Hmmmm . . . .

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

You need one now

Hey 007, it is a stunningly good bike. If your a passive rider, it's absolutely fine, but if you are an active rider then it is ballistic. Through essess it is so fast, I wiggle my hips the bike whips from side to side kicking mini roosts and the bike can still go faster through essess - faster than me . Corners with support, well, it's just a matter of how brave you are - the capability of the bike is so good that you have to lift your game.

I rode a demo with a 120 SID, it was fine and great fun, and as others are doing, it is still super fun with 130 or 140 fork too.

I think your wife will appreciate the unique geometry, she'll understand.

What else can I tell you, oh, the seat post split is foward facing for improved dirt control, the lower link is better protected, the cabling is improved via downhill mounts, so theres no exposed cable on the downtube for improved dirt control. Um, it's a classy rig.

I bought my green machine from the LBS, they offered a gloss coat option and I said yes. So they stripped it down, sent it away, it came back gloss coated, was reassembled and it might be my wishful thinking, but I reckon the dirt washes off easier.

I reckon you need a Highball to 007

Cheers

b a n n e d
    So there are three major factors pushing me towards this bike . . .

1.) I want something lighter. My BLT-2 is 30.9 lbs and I'd like to shed a couple pounds from that. This will cost me pretty big $$$. I'm primarily thinking a new wheelset, which with my tastes is going to come in right around the $900 mark.

2.) I think that the BLT-2 is a bit overkill for what I ride. I rarely leave the ground as it is. I've been thinking about lowering my fork from 150mm down to 140mm as it is.

3.) The geo on the bike looks spot on for what Im looking for . . . relaxed HT with a decent ETT length for a more stretched out feel. The Blur has me a little more upright that I would prefer and aside from running a super long stem (and sacrificing control) I don't know how to achieve what I want. I already have 750mm bars (with an 80mm stem).

The problem is that I don't think I can get much for my BLT frame. Even though its in impecable shape, I won't get near what I need to make the swap budget friendly.

Now, if we're talking 29ers . . . I'd opt for a TB before the HB.

mtbr member
    May 2008

1.) I want something lighter. My BLT-2 is 30.9 lbs and I'd like to shed a couple pounds from that. This will cost me pretty big $$$. I'm primarily thinking a new wheelset, which with my tastes is going to come in right around the $900 mark.

2.) I think that the BLT-2 is a bit overkill for what I ride. I rarely leave the ground as it is. I've been thinking about lowering my fork from 150mm down to 140mm as it is.

3.) The geo on the bike looks spot on for what Im looking for . . . relaxed HT with a decent ETT length for a more stretched out feel. The Blur has me a little more upright that I would prefer and aside from running a super long stem (and sacrificing control) I don't know how to achieve what I want. I already have 750mm bars (with an 80mm stem).

The problem is that I don't think I can get much for my BLT frame. Even though its in impecable shape, I won't get near what I need to make the swap budget friendly.

I like how you think!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Where is that Trail ! its supurb ! nice riding, nice vid too
    thanks simonm!

this trail is on Wildkogel in the Austrian Alps.
    exactly there Wildkogeltrail Neukirchen Salzburger Land

That's the same mountain where the Nine Knights MTB took place 2 weeks ago
    Last edited by zauberer; 09-07-2011 at 10:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

TB was on my short list as well. I may need to add one, or possibly a HB, to the fleet...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was into this frame until I realized it was a 26er!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Few pics of mine that I picked up today. Transfered everything from my LT2.
    Had an awesome first ride on it today, just looking forward to doing lots more

mtbr member
    Differences between the BLT and BTR????

mtbr member
    I saw a green stickered up TRc at Glentress Scotland yesterday, the Dirtschool guys are using them and have them kitted out with matching components too

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfas View Post
    Differences between the BLT and BTR????
    The TRc has a longer wheelbase, shorter chainstays, lower BB, but same head angle as the LT (with a 130 fork). The frame is a pound lighter than the LTc, I have come from an alloy LT so almost 1 1/2 pounds lighter.

Main things I have noticed are that is unbelievebly stiffer, when you pedal it moves, there is no feeling of loss of power. Found the uphills a lot easier.
    It is very stable at speed, I am running a 140 fork which gives a 67.5 head angle.
    Felt easier to move around than the LT, ? due to weight or due to shorter chainstays, maybe a combination of both.
    Lower BB made me feel like I was lower in the bike which I like.
    The new kashima shock really makes a difference as well, it is much smoother.

For me persoanlly, the bike just felt more suited to me, the geometry, ride feel etc, all really suit me and what I ride.

LT and TR are both awesome bikes, it is just a question of what suits you.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Note that the Shadow Plus RD needs some tightening of the friction mechanism after a while. It will loosen up after a bunch of hours of riding and starts to lose its effectiveness. If you read the manual you can tighten up the friction mech in under 10 minutes. It really helps!
    Tallboy3 CC : Stigmata2 CC : Honzo carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    Note that the Shadow Plus RD needs some tightening of the friction mechanism after a while. It will loosen up after a bunch of hours of riding and starts to lose its effectiveness. If you read the manual you can tighten up the friction mech in under 10 minutes. It really helps!
    thanks!
    I remember having read this in the manual, but I forgot this.
    At the moment I will try to tighten up the friction but I will try a chainguide too.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    to those of you who have gone from a LT2 or LTc to a TRc, how does the TRc behave in the downhills? is it still capable to cope with rough trails in spite of the short rear travel??

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ban View Post
    to those of you who have gone from a LT2 or LTc to a TRc, how does the TRc behave in the downhills? is it still capable to cope with rough trails in spite of the short rear travel??
    Yes, I have found mine more stable.
    Gone from an LT2 to TRc.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    ok Frodo, I have right now a NomadC and and a LT2 and I'm really thinking about replacing the LT2 with a TRc but I need to justify myself, hehehe

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Do you need to justify it to yourself or the wife ?

A lot I guess wil depend on what you ride and how you like to ride it.

The TRc seems just as capable as the LT but in a lighter and stiffer package, for what I ride it works for me.
    e.g. tracks like this, one of the grade 4's, good fun track Billy T track, Rotorua, NZ - YouTube

I think the TRc would be a more of a departure from the Nomad C than what the LT2 is, although not having ridden a Nomad I cannot back that up.This might give you more variation between your bikes if thats what you want.

I have a TRc and a Chameleon, works as a 2 bike set up for what I need.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ban, I would tend to agree with Frodo on this one. While I don't have a great deal of time on any of the LT's, I have ridden an LTc a little bit. I own a TRc and a Nomad C. I think there is more of a variation between the TRc and Nomad C compared to the LT/Nomad. The TRc can be built as serious endurance racer or long travel XC rig, or as a burly shorter travel all mountain machine. I set mine up 1x10 with XTR shifter/der/cranks, XX cassette, MT8 brakes, Thompson stem and Masterpiece post, lighter wheel and tires, and I would feel totally comfortable racing XC on it. It's super light (22.9 lbs), stiff, and fast, up and down. A quick change of wheels/tires, throw on my Reverb, swap in a wider bar and maybe a shorter stem (50mm vs 70mm) and I will go ride lift access or shuttle runs no problem. I even considered racing a mellow DH course on it. As I have a Nomad C as well, I don't feel the need to mess with tranforming the bike, but it is certainly that versatile.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo1095 View Post
    one of the grade 4's, good fun track Billy T track, Rotorua, NZ - YouTube
    That looks like an awesome trail!

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    wife of course....hehe....yes, it's what you and godfather are saying, I'm looking a bike to have a wider gap between my Nomad and my current LT2, so I think it's time to save and...convince wife!!! nice trail, btw!!
    Do you need to justify it to yourself or the wife ?

A lot I guess wil depend on what you ride and how you like to ride it.

The TRc seems just as capable as the LT but in a lighter and stiffer package, for what I ride it works for me.
    e.g. tracks like this, one of the grade 4's, good fun track Billy T track, Rotorua, NZ - YouTube

I think the TRc would be a more of a departure from the Nomad C than what the LT2 is, although not having ridden a Nomad I cannot back that up.This might give you more variation between your bikes if thats what you want.

I have a TRc and a Chameleon, works as a 2 bike set up for what I need.
    this is exactly what I want the TR for....
    ban, I would tend to agree with Frodo on this one. While I don't have a great deal of time on any of the LT's, I have ridden an LTc a little bit. I own a TRc and a Nomad C. I think there is more of a variation between the TRc and Nomad C compared to the LT/Nomad. The TRc can be built as serious endurance racer or long travel XC rig, or as a burly shorter travel all mountain machine. I set mine up 1x10 with XTR shifter/der/cranks, XX cassette, MT8 brakes, Thompson stem and Masterpiece post, lighter wheel and tires, and I would feel totally comfortable racing XC on it. It's super light (22.9 lbs), stiff, and fast, up and down. A quick change of wheels/tires, throw on my Reverb, swap in a wider bar and maybe a shorter stem (50mm vs 70mm) and I will go ride lift access or shuttle runs no problem. I even considered racing a mellow DH course on it. As I have a Nomad C as well, I don't feel the need to mess with tranforming the bike, but it is certainly that versatile.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Does anyone know if you can you run a flush bottom headset cup on the TRc? Will the fork still clear the downtube? I want to run a Float 36 reduced to 140mm and would prefer to use the flush cup to keep the front low enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Anyone got an idea what length rock-shox reverb seatpost I should use on an XL TrC? 380mm or 420mm? I'm 6'4"

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Anyone got an idea what length rock-shox reverb seatpost I should use on an XL TrC? 380mm or 420mm? I'm 6'4"
    lardy,
    I'm 6' riding a large TRc and a large Nomad C. I've got a 380mm Reverb. It's got way more material in the seat tube than I need. I might have 1"-1 1/2" of seat post exposed between the collar and the top of the seatpost. For reference I ride a 350mm Thomson Masterpiece post on the TRc when I'm not running the Reverb. I haven't measured how much post I have exposed, but I know I have more in the seat tube than SC calls for.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Godfather - thanks for that - will go with the 380 as it looks like I should have more than enough with that

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    lardy,

For reference, I measured my Masterpiece post on the TRc frame today. I measured approx. 8", or about 200mm from the top of the seat tube to the seat rail. That's on a 350mm seat post. As I said, with the Reverb I could only lower the post about another 1"-1.5" into the seat tube from where I normally ride with it, but I could easily raise it 3"+ and still have more than enough post in the seat tube to meet SC's requirements. As long as you don't have much more than 10"-11" of exposed seat post, I think you will be ok with the 380, given the 100mm minimum insertion requirement. If you are close to that 11" range, the 420mm version might be the safer bet.

Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Any build with 32 Talas 150 ? Too high ???

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    150 voids the warranty. Besides, 130 is perfect.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I would recommend a 140mm fork.
    The TRc frame geometry and stiffness with this super rear suspension earns every millimeter of front travel to take full advantage of the potentiality of this great bike.

have a look what Mike Ferrentino says:

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    After trying this but still loosing my chain in rough terrain, I put a chainguide on my TRc. I'm sure this problem is solved now with a shaman racing enduro chainguide.

mtbr member
    I seriously think this bike could lead to a divorce...or to me selling some bikes out of my garage. I have been saying that I wanted a FS for my 30th birthday, but this is the machine I have been waiting for. Always loved the looks of a shorter travel slopestyle bikes, but have been wanting one with more of an XC twist in weight and geometry. This bike would be a great compliment to my 29er SS and Pugsley.

Keep the pictures coming.

scn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Seriously considering this bike to replace my current Blur 4X, which has been my favorite trail bike for many reasons. The one thing that may hold me back is that the TRc still uses a QR 135 mm rear axle, which is one complaint I have with my 4X. It has noticable flex in hard turns and sometimes the QR gets misaligned in fast, rough, rocky sections of trail. So far, I have not been able to determine that it is just a QR issue, as it has happened with 2 different rear wheels and QRs.

Do any of you current TRc owners notice too much flex around the rear axle? Do you know if the drop outs will actually fit a 10 mm rear axle instead? (I can't fit one in my 4X)

Any feedback would be appreciated. Is anyone thinking "I wish they had specified this frame with a 142 mm axle"

thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    While I'm a fairly light rider (155-160lbs) riding a large TRc, and I may not be stressing the rear end like some of the bigger, stronger guys, I would have to say that I sense no discernable flex in the rear end of my bike. I also have a Nomad Carbon, and while it feels slightly more robust in general, the rear end doesn't feel noticeably stiffer in terms of seat of the pants feel. Santa Cruz has been pretty vocal in saying that the addition of a thru axle on either of these frames had very little effect on rigidity, tracking or performance of the rear end, and the additional weight had no significant benefit.

My two cents...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

QR quality

Not all QRs are the same. I had new wheels and brakes on my Chameleon and I was getting movement from the the QR. After rough stuff the rear brake would start to rub etc. I replaced the QR with a much more expensive QR and I haven't had a problem since.

On my blur XCc I ran a 10mm rear axle - it stiffens things up nicely. As SC have said to, I don't think you will notice any difference between a solid 10mm and a 12mm axle. There are other forces at play elsewhere to worry about.

Anyway, yes I run the same 10mm rear axle on my TRc. It works fine, and I have the piece of mind that it will be stiffer than a QR.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Fun Bolts

Quote Originally Posted by scn View Post
    Seriously considering this bike to replace my current Blur 4X, which has been my favorite trail bike for many reasons. The one thing that may hold me back is that the TRc still uses a QR 135 mm rear axle, which is one complaint I have with my 4X. It has noticable flex in hard turns and sometimes the QR gets misaligned in fast, rough, rocky sections of trail. So far, I have not been able to determine that it is just a QR issue, as it has happened with 2 different rear wheels and QRs.

Do any of you current TRc owners notice too much flex around the rear axle? Do you know if the drop outs will actually fit a 10 mm rear axle instead? (I can't fit one in my 4X)

Any feedback would be appreciated. Is anyone thinking "I wish they had specified this frame with a 142 mm axle"

thanks!
    I run King HD rear hub with fun bolts on my Nomad. A lot stiffer than the 135 QR.

Err
    Calm like a bomb

thanks!
    Easy fix, run a DT Swiss 10 mm RWS. Will give you 99% of the stiffness of a 12mm axle and all you'll ever need in the context of this bike. All you need is a rear hub in a 10x135 thru-axle configuration. ->

Hadley and King also both offer 135 bolt-on options that are reasonably light. The Hadley is available in a Ti configuration even.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Err View Post
    Easy fix, run a DT Swiss 10 mm RWS. Will give you 99% of the stiffness of a 12mm axle and all you'll ever need in the context of this bike. All you need is a rear hub in a 10x135 thru-axle configuration. ->

Hadley and King also both offer 135 bolt-on options that are reasonably light. The Hadley is available in a Ti configuration even.
    Will these work on an AL BLT-2?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Do any of you current TRc owners notice too much flex around the rear axle?
    thanks!

No, no noticeable flex at the rear end with a standard 5mm DT-Swiss RWS 135mm QR

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Will these work on an AL BLT-2?

they'll work on most any 135 QR frame.

Trail Boss
    here is some pics of my trc and some from my shop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur TRc pictures-p4pb6966000.jpg  

Blur TRc pictures-p4pb6966002.jpg  

b a n n e d
    I wish my LBS had some of these built up to demo . . . as much as I love my BLT-2, I am really wanting a carbon frame and based on what I have seen and read of the TRc, its much more inline with my riding style. The BLT I think is a bit overkill.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    many thanks, I'm very happy with it.. Size is a small.
    Simonm, what is your high?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Anyone running a Fox 32/120 .....have a spare fork in my garage that might allow an economy build of the TRc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripo View Post
    Anyone running a Fox 32/120 .....have a spare fork in my garage that might allow an economy build of the TRc
    I'd also like to know. That's what I'd be putting on.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yup, most likely. Just ordered a TRc to complement the Nomad alum. The Nomad has definitely made me a stronger rider uphill but you certainly feel it after 2-3 hours of climbing.

This is why I think the TRc and Nomad is a great combo: on long XC rides with lots of climbing it'll be the TRc (majority of my riding); on shorter rides it'll be the Nomad (this will help keep the legs fit); on shuttle days it'll be the Nomad with the heavier wheel set and longer fork.

I'll post pics when the bike is ready...hopefully, by end of next week. Will be joining the club soon!

mtbr member
    May 2008

Mrp 2x

Few pics of mine that I picked up today. Transfered everything from my LT2.
    Had an awesome first ride on it today, just looking forward to doing lots more

Was the MRP 2X chain guide a drop in install or did you have to do any modifications? I appreciate any tips you can provide.

Thanks!

I do what Spicoli says
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    I was into this frame until I realized it was a 26er!
    Its called a mountain bike, not a "26er".

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardo12 View Post
    Was the MRP 2X chain guide a drop in install or did you have to do any modifications? I appreciate any tips you can provide.

Thanks!
    I didnt install it, was done by my LBS, but as far as I know no midifications were made in order to get it to fit.
    Runs nice as well, seems a bit more noisy than my Lopes 1x chain guide, but doesnt bother me or anything. Hasnt created any shifting issues and have had no dropped chains so I am very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    And you can normally use both cogs in the move? Looks and sounds very nice

EastBaySteez
    You guys are insane for running the Lopes guides without a bash... With that low of a BB one strike to the chain/ring and bam. Your ride is over....
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by screamingeagle3 View Post
    And you can normally use both cogs in the move? Looks and sounds very nice
    Shifting has never been an issue, moves easily.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Just built up a TRc 650B....weight is 24.9lbs with frame protection in place ie. down tube protection plate, chainstay/seat stay wrapped in an old tube and 3M tape in place.

Had to place a 3mm spacer in the shock to ensure the rear wheel doesn't bottom out on front cable stop on the back of the seatpost tube......all's good.

Spec.
    *Medium Frame w/RP23
    *Fox 32/120 Tapered RLC FIT
    *CC XiiX Headset
    *Thomson X4 70mm Stem
    *Gravity Carbon 710mm Bars
    *ESI Racer Edge Grips
    *XT Shifters
    *2012 XT Cranks 32/22t
    *Kedge Lite Bashring
    *Kedge Chain Keeper
    *Superstar Mag Lite Pedals
    *XT 10spd Derailuer
    *XT 11-36t Cassette
    *Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost
    *Charge Knife Saddle
    *XTR Trail Brakes w/Goodridge Hoses
    *Hope 160mm Floating Rotors
    *American Classic 650B Wheelset
    *Schwalbe RR 2.25 Tyres
    Last edited by Gripo; 11-02-2011 at 02:49 AM.

I am a Nomad
    Just built up a TRc 650B....weight is 24.9lbs with frame protection in place ie. down tube protection plate, chainstay/seat stay wrapped in an old tube and 3M tape in place.

Had to place a 3mm spacer in the shock to ensure the rear wheel doesn't bottom out on front cable stop on the back of the seatpost tube......all's good.

Spec.
    *Medium Frame w/RP23
    *CC XiiX Headset
    *Thomson X4 70mm Stem
    *ESI Racer Edge Grips
    *XT Shifters
    *2012 XT Cranks 32/22t
    *Kedge Lite Bashring
    *Kedge Chain Keeper
    *XT 10spd Derailuer
    *XT 11-36t Cassette
    *Charge Knife Saddle
    *Schwalbe RR 2.25 Tyres
    Photos of this build, if you please?!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ditto. Would love to see pic of the TRc 650b, not to mention a ride report...
    Jerome...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    So here she is. Just the standard XT package, but with a 2X crank, MRP 2X chain guide and I replaced the crossmark tires to X King (R) and the newer Mountain King (F) both in 2.2. These tires are smaller than the 2.2 Trail King I have on the MKII (btw, she's in one of the images, just have to look carefully). I thought tire stability was going to be a problem but so far so good. I will be converting them to tubeless today.

Upcoming changes will be to Odi cross trainer grips and a 50MM stem. Still debating on an adjustable seat post. Current weight is 24.7 with tubes and an uncut fork steerer on a large frame.

I took her on a 30mi loop with 2,200 ft of climbing. Wow! Coming from the Nomad she flew up the hills - off course the 6 pound weight reduction helped a lot. On the downhill portion I had the same smile on my face descending as I do with the MKII. I'll have more to add once I dial in the shock and fork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur TRc pictures-stn_3834.jpg  

Blur TRc pictures-stn_3837.jpg  

Blur TRc pictures-stn_3826.jpg  

Blur TRc pictures-stn_3838.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005

TRc 650B

Quote Originally Posted by tp806 View Post
    Photos of this build, if you please?!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome... View Post
    Ditto. Would love to see pic of the TRc 650b, not to mention a ride report...
    Jerome...
    Here's pics & one of my home made bashie, it just bolts to the water bottle mounts and attaches to the BB via some velcro.....

Spec.
    *Medium Frame w/RP23
    *CC XiiX Headset
    *Thomson X4 70mm Stem
    *ESI Racer Edge Grips
    *XT Shifters
    *2012 XT Cranks 32/22t
    *Kedge Lite Bashring
    *Kedge Chain Keeper
    *XT 10spd Derailuer
    *XT 11-36t Cassette
    *Charge Knife Saddle
    *Schwalbe RR 2.25 Tyres
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur TRc pictures-trc-l.jpg  

Blur TRc pictures-trc-r2.jpg  

Blur TRc pictures-bash-plate.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Can anyone with a TRc comment on this,

I've been asking my LBS to take a look but, on the upper pivot bolt on my TRc, the bolt does not go all the way through the frame so it falls flush with the frame on the non drive side. Can anyone else confirm that the bolt either does or doesnt end flush with the frame. I can see thread inside the hole.. just doesnt sound right.

tyia

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

I've been asking my LBS to take a look but, on the upper pivot bolt on my TRc, the bolt does not go all the way through the frame so it falls flush with the frame on the non drive side. Can anyone else confirm that the bolt either does or doesnt end flush with the frame. I can see thread inside the hole.. just doesnt sound right.

tyia
    I was concerned about this same thing on my Blur LTc. I actually took a pic and emailed it to SC and they said it was fine. That was 8 months ago and I have not had any issues with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I've had a look on my TRc pivot bolt.
    Yes, this bolt seems to be a bit short.

No problems with this bolt since I've got my Blur Trc end of July '11

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    ahh, cool, looks like all the same.

it's the ride....
    May 2004

tyia
    picture..?
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Here's pics & one of my home made bashie, it just bolts to the water bottle mounts and attaches to the BB via some velcro.....

Spec.
    *Medium Frame w/RP23
    *CC XiiX Headset
    *Thomson X4 70mm Stem
    *ESI Racer Edge Grips
    *XT Shifters
    *2012 XT Cranks 32/22t
    *Kedge Lite Bashring
    *Kedge Chain Keeper
    *XT 10spd Derailuer
    *XT 11-36t Cassette
    *Charge Knife Saddle
    *Schwalbe RR 2.25 Tyres
    Do you get full rear travel with 650B wheel set up or do you have to reduce the travel a little bit?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Placed some spacers for safety sake = about 120mm of travel now.....the shock already has it's travel limited from the factory....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    good idea, here are a couple,

b a n n e d
    The BLT-2's look exactly the same.

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    good idea, here are a couple,

That's interesting. Engineering best practices always recommend to thread in the through bolt with end protrude with 2-3 threads or at least flush to the threaded end. I don't think it should be exception for bike industry unless there is some special reason we don't know.
    What Santacruz say?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    If i run a 120mm fork on the trc what would the head tube angle be?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    68,5° HA with a 32 120mm fork I guess

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    This thread need another pic:

Last edited by jan_nikolajsen; 11-25-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast