mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    dropper post is on the way!

phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

why TRc

[QUOTE=rage-day;9866293]Just pulled the trigger on my new TRC Been looking at one for sometime now and have ridden, Intense Carbine, Carbine SL, Mojo SLR, Blur LTc, Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon. Having demo'd a TRC a couple of times, its the one bike which puts a great big smile on my face and flowed really well.

Hi Rage Day
    I am on a Nickel and thinking of a similar upgrade considering the TRc, Pivot and Carbine
    Can you tell me more on what you liked and disliked.. Diffcult for me to get test rides here
    Tks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by andyb721 View Post
    Do any of the owners here know if a deep insert bottom cup can be used in this frame? I have a Chris King 44/49 Zero Stack with a deep insert lower and would like to use it on this frame if I can?
    Just ask them, they have always answered any questions I have asked, and promptly too!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    [QUOTE=simonuk;9885696]
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-day View Post
    Just pulled the trigger on my new TRC Been looking at one for sometime now and have ridden, Intense Carbine, Carbine SL, Mojo SLR, Blur LTc, Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon. Having demo'd a TRC a couple of times, its the one bike which puts a great big smile on my face and flowed really well.

Hi Rage Day
    I am on a Nickel and thinking of a similar upgrade considering the TRc, Pivot and Carbine
    Can you tell me more on what you liked and disliked.. Diffcult for me to get test rides here
    Tks
    Hi SimonUK,

Thanks for the post. Where to begin. I have seen a few posts around doing these kind of comparisons and I would firstly say that my choice took into account where and how I ride.
    I ride in the Surrey Hills in the UK, it is not very rocky and I donít do huge drop offs and radical stuff. I enjoy riding flowing trails with smaller jumps with the odd trip to Afan in Wales. I hate riding uphill, but I am coming round to liking it with this new breed of bikes which make it much easier.

What was I looking for? Something between All Mountain and Trail/XC I suppose, based on definitions I have seen in these forums. The Blur TRC fitted the bill on paper, however I spent 12 months demoing various models.

These are purely my personal preferences and I have to say all the bikes were excellent if you just ride them on their own and then made a decision, however I tried anything I thought would fit my requirements and focussed on a variety of factors, which I hope come out below.

Carbine Ė a solid bike, but it didnít thrill me. The matt carbon finish looked as though it would never clean up well and look clean compared to other models. I rode a medium and it felt like more of an All Mountain/Downhill type bike and quite a large bike. It went over everything really well being 150mm and 150mm, but made the ride quite easy and there wasnít anything where I ride that would be challenging enough for it.

Carbine SL Ė This was initially a horror ride, the demo bike came with a long stem, the forks were thrown on the bike with no spacers so the bars sat really low and after about 2 hours riding my neck ached from having to look up too much. I took it back to the shop, complained bitterly, switched the forks to 150ís, shorter stem and it transformed the bike. It was actually quite close to a Blur TRC in its handling, being precise and quick, but still lacked the whippy feel and acceleration of the TRC. I did prefer the slightly longer travel rear suspension on the SL and thought it would feel and handle better than the TRC, alas not. The graphics are stunning though.

Blur LTC Ė The characteristics of this were similar to the Carbine, it took everything comfortably in its stride with no real challenges. It was not as quick as the TRC and did not flow as well. Uphill it felt slightly slower than the TRC, but that is not to say it was a slouch. It was, as it is sold, a bigger brother to the TRC.

Nomad - I have also ridden the Nomad which again was an amazing bike, but there is definitely nothing I ride which would challenge this bike, if I was going to the mountains regularly, then I would definitely have one of these.

Mojo SLR Ė The Ibis are very light and look amazing, not sure I could go with an orange bike that I demoíd and wasnít keen on the Black/blue scheme. Colour aside the Mojo was a very polished ride, the DW link felt never ending in its travel which I am not sure I could get used to. The ride felt quick and quite whippy and was again close to the TRC, but not quite there.

Pivot 5.7 Carbon Ė This was an incredibly stiff bike, almost too stiff and therefore felt very unforgiving. I had to play around with the suspension setup and ended up setting it far softer than I would have thought which improved the ride hugely. The DW link suspension was very good uphill with little/no pedal bob, you do not need to do anything with the rear shock, just leave it in the mid position. You do get the never ending feel as with the Mojo, which I am not sure about personally. Again another great looking bike but it does need to be ridden hard I feel to get the best from it.

Blur TRC Ė I love this bike, it looks good, feels really stiff and the VPP suspension has a plushness which has an end to it, that is not to say it bottoms out though. I think the slightly shorter rear travel makes the bike work really well and with a 140mm on the front gives me the confidence that I can tackle anything. Build quality is outstanding and though the price is high here in the UK, the bike just suits me. I have also become a bit of a weight weenie and the TRC can be built to a madly low weight, looking forward to weighing mine.

I cannot stress enough here, that all these bikes are excellent in their own right, if I was scoring them they would all be 8.5 to 10 out of 10. They are obviously very well engineered and componentry would be pretty much the same on them if I was buying any one of them. I have gone with the one which was the most fun for me and I very much appreciate that we are all very different.

One of the final factors within my criteria was the 650B option and the TRC is becoming a real player in that market and in the 650B forum, so it worth reading more there.
    I hope this was useful.

Bike being built as we speak photos will be up soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks Rage Day much appreciated and very informative

mtbr member

TRc

My TRc with a few new parts...Hope X2 and M4 Brakes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur TRc pictures-trc4.jpg  

Blur TRc pictures-trc-3.jpg  

Blur TRc pictures-trc-white-green2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    VA ride in Oct. 2012
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur TRc pictures-20120811100222.jpg  

Blur TRc pictures-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    34 Float, what is the travel and the A/C, BB?
    Cool setup...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    34 Float, what is the travel and the A/C, BB?
    Cool setup...
    It is a float 34 27.5 fork, set at 150mm travel(as low as it will go). The BB is 13.5". I sent the rear shock to the Bike Company in Ca they solved the tire rubbing issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwanoron View Post
    It is a float 34 27.5 fork, set at 150mm travel(as low as it will go). The BB is 13.5". I sent the rear shock to the Bike Company in Ca they solved the tire rubbing issue.
    Do you know by any chance what the HA with the 150/650b is?
    Are you sure the BB is only 13.5"? (It seems low i comparison to the stock 130mm/26" 13.1")
    How does it behave on climbs and flat single-track?

mtbr member
    Might be the first to post with this issue on the TRc. I know others have had it on the LTc.

Circular crack around the bolt of the lower linkage on the drive side of the rear triangle.

Working with Willie to get it taken care of. SC customer service is great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    I know others have had it on the Circular crack around the bolt of the lower linkage on the drive side of the rear triangle.
    That's a bummer. Keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Well talked with Willie again today.
    No more green rear triangles so...
    I get to pick out a new frame!
    SC customer service is awesome!!

Going to have order a new 142 axle for my King hub. $70 not a bad price for a new frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Well talked with Willie again today.
    No more green rear triangles so...
    I get to pick out a new frame!
    SC customer service is awesome!!

Going to have order a new 142 axle for my King hub. $70 not a bad price for a new frame.
    wow that's awesome. How long have you had the frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    wow that's awesome. How long have you had the frame?
    I actually bought it off of the MTBR classifieds back in December, right after Christmas.
    Had it built up in the first couple weeks of January. I told SC I bought it on the secondary market and they still honored the warranty. Unbelievable customer service.

mtbr member
    Wow that's pretty amazing!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.E View Post
    Wow that's pretty amazing!

I was pretty blown away!

I'll be taking the bike apart today and hopefully get it in the mail as well.

I guess it's a good thing that the crack happened after the parking lot sale.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I was pretty blown away!

I'll be taking the bike apart today and hopefully get it in the mail as well.

I guess it's a good thing that the crack happened after the parking lot sale.
    That's outstanding mestapho! Being new to Santa Cruz bikes and having just purchased my TRC, this gives me alot of comfort.

mtbr member
    Been running a Nomad C for the past 2 years and just built a TRc as another bike. Only one ride in but amazed how much it feels like the Nomad going down, but a hardtail going up!!!!

But slippy for a full impression but I love it so far....?

Blur TRc pictures-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354461246.283942.jpg

mtbr member
    Another frosty ride for my TRc too!

jddist
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Qcamel View Post
    Been running a Nomad C for the past 2 years and just built a TRc as another bike. Only one ride in but amazed how much it feels like the Nomad going down, but a hardtail going up!!!!

But slippy for a full impression but I love it so far....?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354461246.283942.jpg 
Views:	786 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	741726
    What fork you running? A 140?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by istvisinet View Post
    What fork you running? A 140?
    A fox 32 Float CTD that's been limited to 130mm travel.......

jddist
    May 2008
    how does that fork length feel going from your nomad, which was probably at least a 160 . How would going 140 feel you think? To long and out of balance?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    how does that fork length feel going from your nomad, which was probably at least a 160 . How would going 140 feel you think? To long and out of balance?
    Thanks
    I've been running a Float 140 on mine since I built it up in Jan. I've had no problems at all with the bike feeling out of balance. Now that I've made the switch to 650b I feel that there is too much trail in the front end. On climbing the really steep stuff I feel the front end wander a bit now. Don't really notice it anywhere else though.
    I'll be reducing the travel down to 130 today. Hopefully I have my new frame this week and can get in a ride this weekend.

mtbr member
    Thanks
    The bike feels like it has the same DNA as the Nomad but requires a different style of riding, line choice is more specific but rewarding all the same and the bike generally feels more agile...

Not sure how a 140 would feel in comparison but I wanted a different bike to the Nomad so 130 seemed good... Did not feel short of travel at any point...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Looks like i'm in the same exact situation as Mestapho

Just sold my ltc frame and purchased this trc frame from a MTBR/Pinkbike seller to find that same area craked.. AFTER i put my bike together! Didnt even get to go on the test ride yet. Noticed the crack and sent the pic to Willie and he confirmed that a crack is forming. Hopefully I get the same service as you Mestapho, since i did purchase my LT2alum and LTC brand new, this being my first 2nd hand frame purchased.

Here's some pics of the crack and some pics of my bike built. weighing in at 23.3 pounds. Was working on saving up for a dropper post, but i guess that'll have to go to shipping costs etc. unless the seller comes forward to help out with some of the costs.

(seems like the file size of the crack closeup is too large of a file, hopefully i can fix and post soon!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur TRc pictures-trcbye.jpg  

Blur TRc pictures-trcbye2.jpg  

Last edited by Bolty12; 12-04-2012 at 02:36 PM.

mtbr member
    @Bolty

that sucks. I think part of the reason I had such good luck with SC was that I could prove I bought the frame brand new. The seller had won it for winning a race series and had ordered it directly from SC.
    I had his information and copies of our communication as well as pictures of my frame with the packaging still on it.
    Hopefully they take care of you though.
    My frame should ship today, so hopefully I'll be riding it on Saturday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    and the crack..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur TRc pictures-rons_closeup_frame.jpg  

Blur TRc pictures-rons_frame.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    hey Mestapho,

Thanks for your reply. I talked to Willie just now and it seems like he might be taking care of it. Having the seller send me the receipt, so hopefully everything goes well.The crack wasnt as big as yours and you can barely see it, but it's definitely forming.

mtbr member
    Great. I hope you get a new frame. Seems they are out of the
    old 135 rear triangle. At least they were out of the green.
    Hopefully you have a convertible rear hub.
    $70 for a new CK axle isn't chump change, but it's a lot
    cheaper than a new hub and wheel build.
    Shipping my TR was $22 through FedEx. Got a frame box
    from my LBS for free.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Has SC come out with any theories on why we're seeing the same crack appearing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post
    Has SC come out with any theories on why we're seeing the same crack appearing?
    I didn't ask Willie, but it seems to be an issue with the metal threaded insert coming unbonded from the carbon layup. I've seen it on MTBR on Blur LT and TBc's as well. Glad my new frame will have a 5 yr warranty.
    I don't think anyone on here has reported a failure from this defect yet.

mtbr member
    New frame is here!!! I'll start building it up at lunch today.

Whoever reported that the upper link is not carbon anymore was misinformed.
    The link is carbon and prettier than the first version.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    New frame is here!!! I'll start building it up at lunch today.

Whoever reported that the upper link is not carbon anymore was misinformed.
    The link is carbon and prettier than the first version.
    That's one sexy frame! My blak/white/orange frame has the shiny carbon link too. A friend's older one has the dull carbon link.

Oh and FYI, the torque spec for the shock mounting bolts for the TRc is 140 ln/lbs. NOT 190 In/lbs
    Don't ask me how I know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Mestapho,

Congrats! Damn that's a nice color. The white is nice as well. Did you send in your frame without the rp23? I noticed it's missing the shock.

OH! and please share pics of the complete build after you're done

mtbr member
    So SC went to 142x12 for 2013, but dropped the ISCG tabs.... why?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    So SC went to 142x12 for 2013, but dropped the ISCG tabs.... why?
    The TRc never had ISCG tabs.

Almost done. Still need to swap grips to some black Rogues off of my SS rig.
    Need to put the new chain on and dial in the derailleurs and snip the cables, put the frame
    skin wherever it needs to go, put the bottle cage and downtube/linkage guard on.
    Went from a med to a large frame and I may need get a new housing and cable
    for my dropper. All the other cables were fine. Going to try and fit a 650b 2.35 Nobby Nic
    on the back if it doesn't fit it will go on the front.

I am a Nomad
    Blur TRc never had any ISCG05 tabs, not even removable.
    Which was a deal breaker for me though...

mtbr member
    Almost done. Still need to swap grips to some black Rogues off of my SS rig.
    Need to put the new chain on and dial in the derailleurs and snip the cables, put the frame
    skin wherever it needs to go, put the bottle cage and downtube/linkage guard on.
    Went from a med to a large frame and I may need get a new housing and cable
    for my dropper. All the other cables were fine. Going to try and fit a 650b 2.35 Nobby Nic
    on the back if it doesn't fit it will go on the front.
    Very nice! Congrats on the new frame. I'm curious to see how you like the large sized frame. Sometimes I hate being right in the middle between two frame sizes but then again having the choice is also nice. Are you sticking with the same length stem?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiff View Post
    Very nice! Congrats on the new frame. I'm curious to see how you like the large sized frame. Sometimes I hate being right in the middle between two frame sizes but then again having the choice is also nice. Are you sticking with the same length stem?
    I'm very interested to see how it feels different. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a better fit for me. I have short legs and a long torso so the short top tube of the TR had me pretty cramped. I also dropped the fork from 140 to 130. When I went to 650b's the front got a little skittish up the super steep stuff.

For now I'm sticking with the stem I've got. If it's too long I'll just have to order up a shorter one. Probably switch from the Thomson to a Race Face (lighter and cheaper) and sell the Thomson.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Nice, is the upper link aluminum? I heard the 2013s were changing to that.
    You scored huge on that warranty deal!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rglsr View Post
    Nice, is the upper link aluminum? I heard the 2013s were changing to that.
    You scored huge on that warranty deal!
    No it's carbon still. You can see it pretty clearly in one of the pictures above.
    My old TR had a matte black plain carbon link. This new one is shiny and swirly. Very nice looking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    No it's carbon still. You can see it pretty clearly in one of the pictures above.
    My old TR had a matte black plain carbon link. This new one is shiny and swirly. Very nice looking.
    Interesting, my LBS has two new 2013s, both white with aluminum upper links. (clearly black anodized aluminum) I just pulled the trigger on a black 2013, will follow up with what I end up with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rglsr View Post
    Interesting, my LBS has two new 2013s, both white with aluminum upper links. (clearly black anodized aluminum) I just pulled the trigger on a black 2013, will follow up with what I end up with.
    Well, I got to keep the links off of the old frame if you want to buy a used carbon link.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Well, I got to keep the links off of the old frame if you want to buy a used carbon link.
    Thanks, no big deal, sounds like SC only had 3 large 2013 TRc black frames left, you got one, we got the other two. I'll update with what we received, I don't really care carbon vs. aluminum.

mtbr member
    That's not 650b wheels in standard 26 inch wheel forks though is it?

mtbr member
    That's not 650b wheels in standard 26 inch wheel forks though is it?
    Yep. Standard Float without modification will fit a 650b no problem.

mtbr member
    Yep. Standard Float without modification will fit a 650b no problem.
    Brilliant, thankyou... Do you know if there is an appropriate knobbly tyre that would fit? It's winter here in the UK and on 26 inch wheels I would run a Rubber Queen and or Baron from Continental..

mtbr member
    Brilliant, thankyou... Do you know if there is an appropriate knobbly tyre that would fit? It's winter here in the UK and on 26 inch wheels I would run a Rubber Queen and or Baron from Continental..
    Lots of choices now from Pacenti, Vee Rubber, Schwalbe. I think Conti and WTB are coming out with some soon as well.

I've only used Pacenti 2.3 Neo Motos at this point and I really like them. I have a Nobby Nic to try out now as well, but have yet to mount it.

mtbr member
    Lots of choices now from Pacenti, Vee Rubber, Schwalbe. I think Conti and WTB are coming out with some soon as well.

I've only used Pacenti 2.3 Neo Motos at this point and I really like them. I have a Nobby Nic to try out now as well, but have yet to mount it.
    Much appreciated, thanks

mtbr member
    After the shakedown ride.
    Sloppy out there.
    Blur TRc pictures-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354842454.692709.jpg
    The large definitely fits me better. I think I'll stick with the same stem size as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    lookin' good! I also ride a Large size frame but a 60mm stem. took the bike out for a quick spin today and i'm thinking i need a 70/75/80 stem to balance out. Though half an inch longer T/T than my blur ltc, the cockpit somehow "feels" more compact.

curious what stem length you're running and if you're the same height as me? 5' 10"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolty12 View Post
    lookin' good! I also ride a Large size frame but a 60mm stem. took the bike out for a quick spin today and i'm thinking i need a 70/75/80 stem to balance out. Though half an inch longer T/T than my blur ltc, the cockpit somehow "feels" more compact.

curious what stem length you're running and if you're the same height as me? 5' 10"
    6'0" long torso, short legs (30" pants inseam)
    80mm stem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks Mestapho, gives me a better idea.

By the way, sending in my whole frame and getting a new one replaced! Once again Santa Cruz comes through. Obviously they were out of the black frame and only had the gloss white so went with that. Will post pics once i get my bike back in one piece

mtbr member
    Thanks Mestapho, gives me a better idea.

By the way, sending in my whole frame and getting a new one replaced! Once again Santa Cruz comes through. Obviously they were out of the black frame and only had the gloss white so went with that. Will post pics once i get my bike back in one piece
    That's awesome!!
    Man SC has ridiculous customer service.
    Can you convert your rear hub or are you buying a new one?
    May as well replace the derailleur cables while your at it. I took the opportunity to service/clean everything since it was all apart.
    Switched my BB to ceramic bearings. Did a service on the King hubs. Changed the fluid in the fork. Etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    thanks Mestapho,

Definitely converting it. I have DT swiss 240s so it's an easy conversion. Pointed my friend over from a Specialized epic 29er to a Tallboy purchase this weekend after telling him how SC took care of my TRc.

I know this is a picture thread, so i'll definitely pitch in some pics after completion!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Nice thread, but can be expensive. Satisfied Nomad 1 owner since many years but looking for something with less travel for the trails close by.
    Demoed a 29 Spec evo Carbon and loved the climbing but felt uncomfortable on the downhills. Feels like sitting on top of suspension rather than in (the sag).

If I still want to get hold of that climbing feeling 650b might be a good compromise.

Stupid question; If you run with a Fox fork are there any other adaptions needed, apart from a 650b wheelset obviously?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the Swede View Post
    Nice thread, but can be expensive. Satisfied Nomad 1 owner since many years but looking for something with less travel for the trails close by.
    Demoed a 29 Spec evo Carbon and loved the climbing but felt uncomfortable on the downhills. Feels like sitting on top of suspension rather than in (the sag).

If I still want to get hold of that climbing feeling 650b might be a good compromise.

Stupid question; If you run with a Fox fork are there any other adaptions needed, apart from a 650b wheelset obviously?
    No, you can run 660b on a standard 26" Float with no mods. If you're starting from scratch I would look at getting a Fox 34 650b fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    No, you can run 660b on a standard 26" Float with no mods. If you're starting from scratch I would look at getting a Fox 34 650b fork.
    does 670b also fit? (sorry for that)

your new matte black frame is very nice, I like it

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    ...one week and counting...

Just got back from visiting my LBS to get the final fitting for my medium TRc. All that's left is to install the brake/shifter controls cut the brake/shifter lines and install my provided wheels.

It's a stock TRc with the XT kit (K coated fork non-K coated shock) with the following:

(my existing) Stans Crest with hope2 evo hubs
    Raceface Next 1" riser Carbon handle bars
    Moab Grips
    Shimano M520 pedals (oldies but goodies)

Oh and in the flat black and silver, it's oh so sexy

One thing I noticed while I was on it hooked up to the trainer, was how much farther out the front wheel looks compared to my superlight due to the head angle. Seemed like I was on some low rider chopper... Might have only been a half an inch farther out, but it just seemed like a lot compared to the superlight.

mtbr member
    Wait until you feel how planted it is, the low BB was very noticeable to me coming off at Transition Covert (about half an inch higher).

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I was pointed out the "stretched out" look/feeling to the fitter in the LBS, and then later was telling him about a trail I was recently riding that had a 2-3ft drop. He said, "So the drop was like falling through a trap door? Wait till this with just a few degrees of head angle makes for a difference, you'll be glad you've got it.."

I loved my SL, but in the steep stuff, often felt like even with my a*s a few inches over the rear tire, I was still susceptible to going OTB if I hit a sizable chunk. Made me a better rider though.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I was pointed out the "stretched out" look/feeling to the fitter in the LBS, and then later was telling him about a trail I was recently riding that had a 2-3ft drop. He said, "So the drop was like falling through a trap door? Wait till this with just a few degrees of head angle makes for a difference, you'll be glad you've got it.."

I loved my SL, but in the steep stuff, often felt like even with my a*s a few inches over the rear tire, I was still susceptible to going OTB if I hit a sizable chunk. Made me a better rider though.
    I've had a similar conversation and the demo trc confirmed it. I am coming off a Marin Mount Vision 2006 and the trc gives you so much more confidence. Did mitigate the OTB feeling on my Marin by reducing the stem from 110mm to 80mm, made much more of a difference than I thought it would.
    Hopefully only a week to go for me too, waiting for a 142 x 12 replacement rear hub from Easton.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Wow, thatís a beautiful bike. Congrats!

Iím the person that relayed what SC told me about the aluminum upper links replacing the carbon links. I thought it seemed odd also since I hadnít seen it before on their website and I bought an older frame and preferred the original carbon link. I asked SC if they could confirm it as I was convinced they were mistakenly referring to the lower link since it is aluminum.

I received another email from SC confirming the upper links on the Blurs and Tallboys were now aluminum. The key was actually in smaller, denser applications such as links, where aluminum was better due in part to the stronger bond between the aluminum link and alloy bearing races, etc over the carbon, which seems to be where the breaks occurred. For frame applications carbon was better. I canít imagine two different people misinformed me over such a simple question, even after seeking confirmation, but stranger things have happened.

Also, the V10 had an aluminum rear triangle and someone pointed out a professional rider had changed out the carbon upper link for an aluminum, which supported SCís statement. However, I just saw SC replaced the V10 with a newer model thatís all carbon. Go figureÖ

I really had no reason to believe I was misinformed since it made sense and SC has always had an outstanding reputation for customer service as evidenced by your warranty replacement as well as others on this board. Also, it didnít seem likely they wouldíve replaced the link on my frame because they ran out of a part or just to save $54 and then claim it was a new and improved modification. Any other company and I would have suspected they were trying to avoid sending out the correct part. Not SC. Nonetheless, I will ask again so I am not passing on any misinformation.

I hope to share pics of our bike builds when they are done, since it was the awesome pics posted here that led me to purchase SC bikes in the first place.

I must admit Mestapho, your new frame and color scheme is easily my favorite. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lcdd View Post
    Wow, that’s a beautiful bike. Congrats!

I’m the person that relayed what SC told me about the aluminum upper links replacing the carbon links. I thought it seemed odd also since I hadn’t seen it before on their website and I bought an older frame and preferred the original carbon link. I asked SC if they could confirm it as I was convinced they were mistakenly referring to the lower link since it is aluminum.

I received another email from SC confirming the upper links on the Blurs and Tallboys were now aluminum. The key was actually in smaller, denser applications such as links, where aluminum was better due in part to the stronger bond between the aluminum link and alloy bearing races, etc over the carbon, which seems to be where the breaks occurred. For frame applications carbon was better. I can’t imagine two different people misinformed me over such a simple question, even after seeking confirmation, but stranger things have happened.

Also, the V10 had an aluminum rear triangle and someone pointed out a professional rider had changed out the carbon upper link for an aluminum, which supported SC’s statement. However, I just saw SC replaced the V10 with a newer model that’s all carbon. Go figure…

I really had no reason to believe I was misinformed since it made sense and SC has always had an outstanding reputation for customer service as evidenced by your warranty replacement as well as others on this board. Also, it didn’t seem likely they would’ve replaced the link on my frame because they ran out of a part or just to save $54 and then claim it was a new and improved modification. Any other company and I would have suspected they were trying to avoid sending out the correct part. Not SC. Nonetheless, I will ask again so I am not passing on any misinformation.

I hope to share pics of our bike builds when they are done, since it was the awesome pics posted here that led me to purchase SC bikes in the first place.

I must admit Mestapho, your new frame and color scheme is easily my favorite. Enjoy!
    I didn't mean to call you out on that if that's how you took it. Other posters have confirmed that they've seen the new TR's with Al links as well. Maybe I just got lucky with the carbon linkage.
    Thanks for the compliments on my ride. It's fitting me much better then the medium.
    I'm surprised by how it's not only changed my posture but the feel of te suspension. I think because I was riding with my post so high that it pushed me out further over the rear tire making the suspension ride differently.
    I'm definitely liking the murdered out look of the all black. Wish I had a black fork as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I didn't take it that way at all. I don't post much and would hate for one of my few posts to be wrong when I relayed what the mfr told me. Now, I'm not so convinced anymore since the newer TRc and V10 came out all carbon.

I'm waiting for a deal on a black fork myself for a white/black blur xc since it already has enough white. But in your case, the white fork looks awesome too! Great job on the build!

mtbr member
    Just got done with a 50 miler. What a great ride. This bike rips up, down, twisty it just eats up the trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Mestapho,

What bottom bracket guard do you use?

mtbr member
    Mestapho,

What bottom bracket guard do you use?
    Downtube/linkage guard?
    It's the Cytoe guard. He sells them on the MTBR classifieds.
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...-frames&cat=30

Bashguard - Race Face.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks, just picked one up. While I don't expect many heavy strikes, rocks and such do bother me.

What screws did you use to mount it?

mtbr member
    Thanks, just picked one up. While I don't expect many heavy strikes, rocks and such do bother me.

What screws did you use to mount it?
    Just the bottle mount bolts that came on the frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

The two identical black larges arrived...

Confirming upper aluminum links, I went for the SC "package deal" which apparently is ending. SPX 2 X10 with Kashima upgrade on both ends. Had to have black.
    It's been 12 years since I've bought a complete build. So far only some minor changes.
    Got in on a 2X buy with a guy from my LBS, glad I ponied up the dough...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur TRc pictures-hpim1488.jpg  

~~~
    I'll add mine to the collection here. Got one of the last closeout frames last month. This is a size small. Built it up with new and existing parts. Full 2x10 Shimano XT. Fork is a 2010 Revelation Team Dual Air Maxle lowered to 130mm. I was originally going to get the matte black/green, but that one sold out first, so it made my color decision much easier. I'm actually very happy with how this color scheme worked out. This one's on the heavy side weighing in at 28 lbs. mostly because of the heavier wheelbuild.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur TRc pictures-img_0982.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    One more day of waiting... Picking it up tomorrow... I haven't ridden in 1.5weeks since I brought them my old wheels to move to the new bike (and do a proper fitting on the new frame with my existing wheels)...

It's killing me... When the wife sees the TRc and I tell her, "You said I needed more fiber..." I hope she understands

mtbr member
    One more day of waiting... Picking it up tomorrow... I haven't ridden in 1.5weeks since I brought them my old wheels to move to the new bike (and do a proper fitting on the new frame with my existing wheels)...

It's killing me... When the wife sees the TRc and I tell her, "You said I needed more fiber..." I hope she understands
    Wow, are you doing a forgiveness rather than permission on the new frame?
    Big balls my friend, big balls.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

Plus I have a comfy couch...

Wēk SŰs

TRc rocks! Lots of folks here have it. I was looking at it, but then the Nickel deals came up and I couldn't resist. Similar geo, different characteristics. The Nickel is awesome, and I can only speculate that the TRc is awesome-r.

I hope to see it at some local rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    TRc rocks! Lots of folks here have it. I was looking at it, but then the Nickel deals came up and I couldn't resist. Similar geo, different characteristics. The Nickel is awesome, and I can only speculate that the TRc is awesome-r.
    The TRc is a bit more awesome
    I've owned both and have kept my TRc.
    It's lower, it's stiffer and more responsive in the turns.
    In my opinion the TRc is the better climber too and that's less a question of weight than a question of better traction

TRc at work
    Last edited by zauberer; 12-14-2012 at 11:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I got it because it's beefier than the Superlight. I don't do big drops/jumps and so the Heckler/Nomads were too much travel for me. Wanted something more Trail but still quite a bit XC.

and the TRc seemed to be exactly what I was looking for.

Some people have big balls by taking large drops/jumps... I well.. I'll let you know after I get it home...

Wēk SŰs
    Quote Originally Posted by zauberer View Post
    than a question of better traction
    I would imagine so, with VPP vs single pivot (APP).

Wanted something more Trail but still quite a bit XC.
    It'll handle all trails just fine. I ride my HT and my DB Mission on many of the local to us trails and the DB Mission is too much bike....but that doesn't mean you don't need to add a NomadC to your quiver next year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A had a nomad AL and was going to get a Nomad C this last year until I test rode the TRC for 2 weeks. I found the TRC handled all of the DH trails just as good as my Nomad and handles flat corners better. I ended up going with the TRC.

I personally think the Nomad is to close to the TRC to have both.

mtbr member
    Christmas came early! Should be on by the end of the night.

mtbr member
    let us know how you like it on the trc

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Just converted the TRc to 650b and from awesome (er) it become another more than awesome....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur TRc pictures-650b-1.jpg  

Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Picked my medium TRc up this morning from the LBS... it's raining pretty bad here right now so no riding for today (or this weekend since it's rained quite a bit this week), but according to the scale in the LBS she weighs in at 26.94lbs.

XT Component Set (SPX Kit)
    Non-stock components
    Stans Crest Wheels with hope2evo hubs (from my old SuperLight)
    Faceface Carbon Risers
    Moab Grips
    M520 Shimano Pedals
    Crossmark Tires (came with kit)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur TRc pictures-img_0782-copy.jpg  

Last edited by sjhiker; 12-15-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: added pic.

Wēk SŰs
    Picked my medium TRc up this morning from the LBS... it's raining pretty bad here right now so no riding for today (or this weekend since it's rained quite a bit this week), but according to the scale in the LBS she weighs in at 26.94lbs.

Non-stock components
    Faceface Carbon Risers
    Moab Grips
    M520 Shimano Pedals
    Looking very nice! Are you going to do a 650b thing eventually? That's a nice weight, I wish I had a bike that light. I'll look for your bike at STCP!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Nice, you're going to be pleased. Had mine out before the rain started today.
    TRc handling and acceleration (esp. climbing) is impressive.
    I suggest more aggressive tires, you'll need 'em to fully exploit the bike's capabilities.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Prob won't do the 650b thing. As for tires I was previously running Nevegal on the front and a Slant 6 on the rear. These are "a bit" more aggressive than the slant 6s.

mtbr member
    A few updates from my last post so I can free up the parts that belong to my Nomad. This did bring the weight down to just over 25 lbs for an XL.

Haven bars | ESI grips | X0 2x10 group | Hope Race m4/x2 Brakes | New Minion 2.35 in front
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur TRc pictures-1-img_3591.jpg  

Blur TRc pictures-1-img_3606.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Good job!

both, the matte black and the black/orange are very nice TRc

enjoy the rides with these awesome beauties

mtbr member
    I'm needing a bike to leave at work. I'm seriously considering the XX1AM build kit. Anyone try XX1 yet and have recommendations on gearing (I may go 32X42)?

mtbr member
    May 2012

Non-stock components
    Faceface Carbon Risers
    Moab Grips
    M520 Shimano Pedals
    Looks great in the matte black, just waiting for a replacement Easton hub and mine's ready to go, is that a reverb seatpost?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yeah reverb.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiff View Post
    Christmas came early! Should be on by the end of the night.

Nice one

What kind of mounting hardware will you use? Santa Cruz webpage says the TRC uses 21.8 x 8 mm mounting hardware, the Fit Finder ont the Cane Creek webpage says the TRC needs 22.0 x 8 mm hardware (which doesn't exist IMHO, the next bigger size would be 22.1 x 8 mm). Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I don't really know about ordering the hardware separately as we just bought it all as one. It did bolt onto my frame perfectly, so whatever they gave me worked.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    I'm needing a bike to leave at work. I'm seriously considering the XX1AM build kit. Anyone try XX1 yet and have recommendations on gearing (I may go 32X42)?
    I could imagine a fit rider being fine with the 32 for climbing- the 42 tooth CS is BIG. I'm a flat lander but when on holiday in Utah this summer I was doing pretty well with a 32x36 could def get up more/ spin far easier with the 42.

Plus you'll get to enjoy that 32x10...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Xx1

Flipnidaho - I'm slowly building up my medium 2013 TRc and I've just received my XX1 groupset, 32T w/ 170mm cranks. I'll let ya know what its like when i've completed the build, just waiting for a DT Swiss XD Driver body to arrive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Warranty frame arrived from SC- Santa Cruz really has unbelievable customer service. Getting this built over the weekend, will post pics soon!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur TRc pictures-trcwhite2.jpg  

mtbr member
    I need to stop looking at this thread before I end up buying another bike.
    2017 Pivot Mach 5.5
    2017 SC Hightower CC
    2017 SC Tallboy 3 CC
    2013 Jackal

mtbr member
    Warranty frame arrived from SC- Santa Cruz really has unbelievable customer service. Getting this built over the weekend, will post pics soon!
    Awesome! Glad they took care of you.
    Post pics when it's built up.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast