Page 35 of 56 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 45 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    After the shakedown ride.
    Sloppy out there.
    Blur TRc pictures-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354842454.692709.jpg
    The large definitely fits me better. I think I'll stick with the same stem size as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    lookin' good! I also ride a Large size frame but a 60mm stem. took the bike out for a quick spin today and i'm thinking i need a 70/75/80 stem to balance out. Though half an inch longer T/T than my blur ltc, the cockpit somehow "feels" more compact.

curious what stem length you're running and if you're the same height as me? 5' 10"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolty12 View Post
    lookin' good! I also ride a Large size frame but a 60mm stem. took the bike out for a quick spin today and i'm thinking i need a 70/75/80 stem to balance out. Though half an inch longer T/T than my blur ltc, the cockpit somehow "feels" more compact.

curious what stem length you're running and if you're the same height as me? 5' 10"
    6'0" long torso, short legs (30" pants inseam)
    80mm stem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks Mestapho, gives me a better idea.

By the way, sending in my whole frame and getting a new one replaced! Once again Santa Cruz comes through. Obviously they were out of the black frame and only had the gloss white so went with that. Will post pics once i get my bike back in one piece

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolty12 View Post
    Thanks Mestapho, gives me a better idea.

By the way, sending in my whole frame and getting a new one replaced! Once again Santa Cruz comes through. Obviously they were out of the black frame and only had the gloss white so went with that. Will post pics once i get my bike back in one piece
    That's awesome!!
    Man SC has ridiculous customer service.
    Can you convert your rear hub or are you buying a new one?
    May as well replace the derailleur cables while your at it. I took the opportunity to service/clean everything since it was all apart.
    Switched my BB to ceramic bearings. Did a service on the King hubs. Changed the fluid in the fork. Etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    thanks Mestapho,

Definitely converting it. I have DT swiss 240s so it's an easy conversion. Pointed my friend over from a Specialized epic 29er to a Tallboy purchase this weekend after telling him how SC took care of my TRc.

I know this is a picture thread, so i'll definitely pitch in some pics after completion!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Nice thread, but can be expensive. Satisfied Nomad 1 owner since many years but looking for something with less travel for the trails close by.
    Demoed a 29 Spec evo Carbon and loved the climbing but felt uncomfortable on the downhills. Feels like sitting on top of suspension rather than in (the sag).

If I still want to get hold of that climbing feeling 650b might be a good compromise.

Stupid question; If you run with a Fox fork are there any other adaptions needed, apart from a 650b wheelset obviously?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the Swede View Post
    Nice thread, but can be expensive. Satisfied Nomad 1 owner since many years but looking for something with less travel for the trails close by.
    Demoed a 29 Spec evo Carbon and loved the climbing but felt uncomfortable on the downhills. Feels like sitting on top of suspension rather than in (the sag).

If I still want to get hold of that climbing feeling 650b might be a good compromise.

Stupid question; If you run with a Fox fork are there any other adaptions needed, apart from a 650b wheelset obviously?
    No, you can run 660b on a standard 26" Float with no mods. If you're starting from scratch I would look at getting a Fox 34 650b fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    No, you can run 660b on a standard 26" Float with no mods. If you're starting from scratch I would look at getting a Fox 34 650b fork.
    does 670b also fit? (sorry for that)

your new matte black frame is very nice, I like it

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    ...one week and counting...

Just got back from visiting my LBS to get the final fitting for my medium TRc. All that's left is to install the brake/shifter controls cut the brake/shifter lines and install my provided wheels.

It's a stock TRc with the XT kit (K coated fork non-K coated shock) with the following:

(my existing) Stans Crest with hope2 evo hubs
    Raceface Next 1" riser Carbon handle bars
    Moab Grips
    Shimano M520 pedals (oldies but goodies)

Oh and in the flat black and silver, it's oh so sexy

One thing I noticed while I was on it hooked up to the trainer, was how much farther out the front wheel looks compared to my superlight due to the head angle. Seemed like I was on some low rider chopper... Might have only been a half an inch farther out, but it just seemed like a lot compared to the superlight.

mtbr member
    Wait until you feel how planted it is, the low BB was very noticeable to me coming off at Transition Covert (about half an inch higher).
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I was pointed out the "stretched out" look/feeling to the fitter in the LBS, and then later was telling him about a trail I was recently riding that had a 2-3ft drop. He said, "So the drop was like falling through a trap door? Wait till this with just a few degrees of head angle makes for a difference, you'll be glad you've got it.."

I loved my SL, but in the steep stuff, often felt like even with my a*s a few inches over the rear tire, I was still susceptible to going OTB if I hit a sizable chunk. Made me a better rider though.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post
    I was pointed out the "stretched out" look/feeling to the fitter in the LBS, and then later was telling him about a trail I was recently riding that had a 2-3ft drop. He said, "So the drop was like falling through a trap door? Wait till this with just a few degrees of head angle makes for a difference, you'll be glad you've got it.."

I loved my SL, but in the steep stuff, often felt like even with my a*s a few inches over the rear tire, I was still susceptible to going OTB if I hit a sizable chunk. Made me a better rider though.
    I've had a similar conversation and the demo trc confirmed it. I am coming off a Marin Mount Vision 2006 and the trc gives you so much more confidence. Did mitigate the OTB feeling on my Marin by reducing the stem from 110mm to 80mm, made much more of a difference than I thought it would.
    Hopefully only a week to go for me too, waiting for a 142 x 12 replacement rear hub from Easton.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Wow, thatís a beautiful bike. Congrats!

Iím the person that relayed what SC told me about the aluminum upper links replacing the carbon links. I thought it seemed odd also since I hadnít seen it before on their website and I bought an older frame and preferred the original carbon link. I asked SC if they could confirm it as I was convinced they were mistakenly referring to the lower link since it is aluminum.

I received another email from SC confirming the upper links on the Blurs and Tallboys were now aluminum. The key was actually in smaller, denser applications such as links, where aluminum was better due in part to the stronger bond between the aluminum link and alloy bearing races, etc over the carbon, which seems to be where the breaks occurred. For frame applications carbon was better. I canít imagine two different people misinformed me over such a simple question, even after seeking confirmation, but stranger things have happened.

Also, the V10 had an aluminum rear triangle and someone pointed out a professional rider had changed out the carbon upper link for an aluminum, which supported SCís statement. However, I just saw SC replaced the V10 with a newer model thatís all carbon. Go figureÖ

I really had no reason to believe I was misinformed since it made sense and SC has always had an outstanding reputation for customer service as evidenced by your warranty replacement as well as others on this board. Also, it didnít seem likely they wouldíve replaced the link on my frame because they ran out of a part or just to save $54 and then claim it was a new and improved modification. Any other company and I would have suspected they were trying to avoid sending out the correct part. Not SC. Nonetheless, I will ask again so I am not passing on any misinformation.

I hope to share pics of our bike builds when they are done, since it was the awesome pics posted here that led me to purchase SC bikes in the first place.

I must admit Mestapho, your new frame and color scheme is easily my favorite. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lcdd View Post
    Wow, that’s a beautiful bike. Congrats!

I’m the person that relayed what SC told me about the aluminum upper links replacing the carbon links. I thought it seemed odd also since I hadn’t seen it before on their website and I bought an older frame and preferred the original carbon link. I asked SC if they could confirm it as I was convinced they were mistakenly referring to the lower link since it is aluminum.

I received another email from SC confirming the upper links on the Blurs and Tallboys were now aluminum. The key was actually in smaller, denser applications such as links, where aluminum was better due in part to the stronger bond between the aluminum link and alloy bearing races, etc over the carbon, which seems to be where the breaks occurred. For frame applications carbon was better. I can’t imagine two different people misinformed me over such a simple question, even after seeking confirmation, but stranger things have happened.

Also, the V10 had an aluminum rear triangle and someone pointed out a professional rider had changed out the carbon upper link for an aluminum, which supported SC’s statement. However, I just saw SC replaced the V10 with a newer model that’s all carbon. Go figure…

I really had no reason to believe I was misinformed since it made sense and SC has always had an outstanding reputation for customer service as evidenced by your warranty replacement as well as others on this board. Also, it didn’t seem likely they would’ve replaced the link on my frame because they ran out of a part or just to save $54 and then claim it was a new and improved modification. Any other company and I would have suspected they were trying to avoid sending out the correct part. Not SC. Nonetheless, I will ask again so I am not passing on any misinformation.

I hope to share pics of our bike builds when they are done, since it was the awesome pics posted here that led me to purchase SC bikes in the first place.

I must admit Mestapho, your new frame and color scheme is easily my favorite. Enjoy!
    I didn't mean to call you out on that if that's how you took it. Other posters have confirmed that they've seen the new TR's with Al links as well. Maybe I just got lucky with the carbon linkage.
    Thanks for the compliments on my ride. It's fitting me much better then the medium.
    I'm surprised by how it's not only changed my posture but the feel of te suspension. I think because I was riding with my post so high that it pushed me out further over the rear tire making the suspension ride differently.
    I'm definitely liking the murdered out look of the all black. Wish I had a black fork as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I didn't take it that way at all. I don't post much and would hate for one of my few posts to be wrong when I relayed what the mfr told me. Now, I'm not so convinced anymore since the newer TRc and V10 came out all carbon.

I'm waiting for a deal on a black fork myself for a white/black blur xc since it already has enough white. But in your case, the white fork looks awesome too! Great job on the build!

mtbr member
    Just got done with a 50 miler. What a great ride. This bike rips up, down, twisty it just eats up the trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Mestapho,

What bottom bracket guard do you use?

mtbr member
    Mestapho,

What bottom bracket guard do you use?
    Downtube/linkage guard?
    It's the Cytoe guard. He sells them on the MTBR classifieds.
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...-frames&cat=30

Bashguard - Race Face.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks, just picked one up. While I don't expect many heavy strikes, rocks and such do bother me.

What screws did you use to mount it?

mtbr member
    Thanks, just picked one up. While I don't expect many heavy strikes, rocks and such do bother me.

What screws did you use to mount it?
    Just the bottle mount bolts that came on the frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

The two identical black larges arrived...

Confirming upper aluminum links, I went for the SC "package deal" which apparently is ending. SPX 2 X10 with Kashima upgrade on both ends. Had to have black.
    It's been 12 years since I've bought a complete build. So far only some minor changes.
    Got in on a 2X buy with a guy from my LBS, glad I ponied up the dough...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur TRc pictures-hpim1488.jpg  

~~~
    I'll add mine to the collection here. Got one of the last closeout frames last month. This is a size small. Built it up with new and existing parts. Full 2x10 Shimano XT. Fork is a 2010 Revelation Team Dual Air Maxle lowered to 130mm. I was originally going to get the matte black/green, but that one sold out first, so it made my color decision much easier. I'm actually very happy with how this color scheme worked out. This one's on the heavy side weighing in at 28 lbs. mostly because of the heavier wheelbuild.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur TRc pictures-img_0982.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    One more day of waiting... Picking it up tomorrow... I haven't ridden in 1.5weeks since I brought them my old wheels to move to the new bike (and do a proper fitting on the new frame with my existing wheels)...

It's killing me... When the wife sees the TRc and I tell her, "You said I needed more fiber..." I hope she understands

mtbr member
    One more day of waiting... Picking it up tomorrow... I haven't ridden in 1.5weeks since I brought them my old wheels to move to the new bike (and do a proper fitting on the new frame with my existing wheels)...

It's killing me... When the wife sees the TRc and I tell her, "You said I needed more fiber..." I hope she understands
    Wow, are you doing a forgiveness rather than permission on the new frame?
    Big balls my friend, big balls.

Page 35 of 56 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 45 ... LastLast