mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    dropper post is on the way!

phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

why TRc

[QUOTE=rage-day;9866293]Just pulled the trigger on my new TRC Been looking at one for sometime now and have ridden, Intense Carbine, Carbine SL, Mojo SLR, Blur LTc, Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon. Having demo'd a TRC a couple of times, its the one bike which puts a great big smile on my face and flowed really well.

Hi Rage Day
    I am on a Nickel and thinking of a similar upgrade considering the TRc, Pivot and Carbine
    Can you tell me more on what you liked and disliked.. Diffcult for me to get test rides here
    Tks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by andyb721 View Post
    Do any of the owners here know if a deep insert bottom cup can be used in this frame? I have a Chris King 44/49 Zero Stack with a deep insert lower and would like to use it on this frame if I can?
    Just ask them, they have always answered any questions I have asked, and promptly too!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    [QUOTE=simonuk;9885696]
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-day View Post
    Just pulled the trigger on my new TRC Been looking at one for sometime now and have ridden, Intense Carbine, Carbine SL, Mojo SLR, Blur LTc, Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon. Having demo'd a TRC a couple of times, its the one bike which puts a great big smile on my face and flowed really well.

Hi Rage Day
    I am on a Nickel and thinking of a similar upgrade considering the TRc, Pivot and Carbine
    Can you tell me more on what you liked and disliked.. Diffcult for me to get test rides here
    Tks
    Hi SimonUK,

Thanks for the post. Where to begin. I have seen a few posts around doing these kind of comparisons and I would firstly say that my choice took into account where and how I ride.
    I ride in the Surrey Hills in the UK, it is not very rocky and I don’t do huge drop offs and radical stuff. I enjoy riding flowing trails with smaller jumps with the odd trip to Afan in Wales. I hate riding uphill, but I am coming round to liking it with this new breed of bikes which make it much easier.

What was I looking for? Something between All Mountain and Trail/XC I suppose, based on definitions I have seen in these forums. The Blur TRC fitted the bill on paper, however I spent 12 months demoing various models.

These are purely my personal preferences and I have to say all the bikes were excellent if you just ride them on their own and then made a decision, however I tried anything I thought would fit my requirements and focussed on a variety of factors, which I hope come out below.

Carbine – a solid bike, but it didn’t thrill me. The matt carbon finish looked as though it would never clean up well and look clean compared to other models. I rode a medium and it felt like more of an All Mountain/Downhill type bike and quite a large bike. It went over everything really well being 150mm and 150mm, but made the ride quite easy and there wasn’t anything where I ride that would be challenging enough for it.

Carbine SL – This was initially a horror ride, the demo bike came with a long stem, the forks were thrown on the bike with no spacers so the bars sat really low and after about 2 hours riding my neck ached from having to look up too much. I took it back to the shop, complained bitterly, switched the forks to 150’s, shorter stem and it transformed the bike. It was actually quite close to a Blur TRC in its handling, being precise and quick, but still lacked the whippy feel and acceleration of the TRC. I did prefer the slightly longer travel rear suspension on the SL and thought it would feel and handle better than the TRC, alas not. The graphics are stunning though.

Blur LTC – The characteristics of this were similar to the Carbine, it took everything comfortably in its stride with no real challenges. It was not as quick as the TRC and did not flow as well. Uphill it felt slightly slower than the TRC, but that is not to say it was a slouch. It was, as it is sold, a bigger brother to the TRC.

Nomad - I have also ridden the Nomad which again was an amazing bike, but there is definitely nothing I ride which would challenge this bike, if I was going to the mountains regularly, then I would definitely have one of these.

Mojo SLR – The Ibis are very light and look amazing, not sure I could go with an orange bike that I demo’d and wasn’t keen on the Black/blue scheme. Colour aside the Mojo was a very polished ride, the DW link felt never ending in its travel which I am not sure I could get used to. The ride felt quick and quite whippy and was again close to the TRC, but not quite there.

Pivot 5.7 Carbon – This was an incredibly stiff bike, almost too stiff and therefore felt very unforgiving. I had to play around with the suspension setup and ended up setting it far softer than I would have thought which improved the ride hugely. The DW link suspension was very good uphill with little/no pedal bob, you do not need to do anything with the rear shock, just leave it in the mid position. You do get the never ending feel as with the Mojo, which I am not sure about personally. Again another great looking bike but it does need to be ridden hard I feel to get the best from it.

Blur TRC – I love this bike, it looks good, feels really stiff and the VPP suspension has a plushness which has an end to it, that is not to say it bottoms out though. I think the slightly shorter rear travel makes the bike work really well and with a 140mm on the front gives me the confidence that I can tackle anything. Build quality is outstanding and though the price is high here in the UK, the bike just suits me. I have also become a bit of a weight weenie and the TRC can be built to a madly low weight, looking forward to weighing mine.

I cannot stress enough here, that all these bikes are excellent in their own right, if I was scoring them they would all be 8.5 to 10 out of 10. They are obviously very well engineered and componentry would be pretty much the same on them if I was buying any one of them. I have gone with the one which was the most fun for me and I very much appreciate that we are all very different.

One of the final factors within my criteria was the 650B option and the TRC is becoming a real player in that market and in the 650B forum, so it worth reading more there.
    I hope this was useful.

Bike being built as we speak photos will be up soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks Rage Day much appreciated and very informative

mtbr member

TRc

My TRc with a few new parts...Hope X2 and M4 Brakes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur TRc pictures-trc4.jpg  

Blur TRc pictures-trc-3.jpg  

Blur TRc pictures-trc-white-green2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    VA ride in Oct. 2012
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur TRc pictures-20120811100222.jpg  

Blur TRc pictures-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    34 Float, what is the travel and the A/C, BB?
    Cool setup...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    34 Float, what is the travel and the A/C, BB?
    Cool setup...
    It is a float 34 27.5 fork, set at 150mm travel(as low as it will go). The BB is 13.5". I sent the rear shock to the Bike Company in Ca they solved the tire rubbing issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwanoron View Post
    It is a float 34 27.5 fork, set at 150mm travel(as low as it will go). The BB is 13.5". I sent the rear shock to the Bike Company in Ca they solved the tire rubbing issue.
    Do you know by any chance what the HA with the 150/650b is?
    Are you sure the BB is only 13.5"? (It seems low i comparison to the stock 130mm/26" 13.1")
    How does it behave on climbs and flat single-track?

mtbr member
    Might be the first to post with this issue on the TRc. I know others have had it on the LTc.

Circular crack around the bolt of the lower linkage on the drive side of the rear triangle.

Working with Willie to get it taken care of. SC customer service is great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    I know others have had it on the Circular crack around the bolt of the lower linkage on the drive side of the rear triangle.
    That's a bummer. Keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Well talked with Willie again today.
    No more green rear triangles so...
    I get to pick out a new frame!
    SC customer service is awesome!!

Going to have order a new 142 axle for my King hub. $70 not a bad price for a new frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Well talked with Willie again today.
    No more green rear triangles so...
    I get to pick out a new frame!
    SC customer service is awesome!!

Going to have order a new 142 axle for my King hub. $70 not a bad price for a new frame.
    wow that's awesome. How long have you had the frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    wow that's awesome. How long have you had the frame?
    I actually bought it off of the MTBR classifieds back in December, right after Christmas.
    Had it built up in the first couple weeks of January. I told SC I bought it on the secondary market and they still honored the warranty. Unbelievable customer service.

mtbr member
    Wow that's pretty amazing!
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.E View Post
    Wow that's pretty amazing!

I was pretty blown away!

I'll be taking the bike apart today and hopefully get it in the mail as well.

I guess it's a good thing that the crack happened after the parking lot sale.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I was pretty blown away!

I'll be taking the bike apart today and hopefully get it in the mail as well.

I guess it's a good thing that the crack happened after the parking lot sale.
    That's outstanding mestapho! Being new to Santa Cruz bikes and having just purchased my TRC, this gives me alot of comfort.

mtbr member
    Been running a Nomad C for the past 2 years and just built a TRc as another bike. Only one ride in but amazed how much it feels like the Nomad going down, but a hardtail going up!!!!

But slippy for a full impression but I love it so far....?

Blur TRc pictures-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354461246.283942.jpg

mtbr member
    Another frosty ride for my TRc too!

Santa Cruz Blur TRc

jddist
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Qcamel View Post
    Been running a Nomad C for the past 2 years and just built a TRc as another bike. Only one ride in but amazed how much it feels like the Nomad going down, but a hardtail going up!!!!

But slippy for a full impression but I love it so far....?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354461246.283942.jpg 
Views:	763 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	741726
    What fork you running? A 140?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by istvisinet View Post
    What fork you running? A 140?
    A fox 32 Float CTD that's been limited to 130mm travel.......

jddist
    May 2008
    how does that fork length feel going from your nomad, which was probably at least a 160 . How would going 140 feel you think? To long and out of balance?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    how does that fork length feel going from your nomad, which was probably at least a 160 . How would going 140 feel you think? To long and out of balance?
    Thanks
    I've been running a Float 140 on mine since I built it up in Jan. I've had no problems at all with the bike feeling out of balance. Now that I've made the switch to 650b I feel that there is too much trail in the front end. On climbing the really steep stuff I feel the front end wander a bit now. Don't really notice it anywhere else though.
    I'll be reducing the travel down to 130 today. Hopefully I have my new frame this week and can get in a ride this weekend.

mtbr member
    Thanks
    The bike feels like it has the same DNA as the Nomad but requires a different style of riding, line choice is more specific but rewarding all the same and the bike generally feels more agile...

Not sure how a 140 would feel in comparison but I wanted a different bike to the Nomad so 130 seemed good... Did not feel short of travel at any point...

Page 33 of 56 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 ... LastLast