Blur TRc pictures

Printable View

• 02-25-2016
    ibarratito
    I am thinking about doing the conversion to 650B
    I currently mount a Fox 32 Float 26" CTD 120 Tapered QR 9mm, but I think a specific 650b fork would work better with the conversion.
    The chosen wheelset would be a pair of 650B Mavic Crossmax ST with Maxxis Ignitor 2.1(front tire), and Maxxis Crossmark 1,95 (rear tire).
    Any advices would be appreciated
  • 02-25-2016
    cramey
    The fork might be close. I ran a Fox 32 @ 140mm fine w/ some bigger tires. High Roller 2.3 front and rear. at full compression it would just rub the front derailleur cable stop. I added a volume spacer to my shock to combat against this and loved the bike. Put the BB up to a normal level.
  • 02-25-2016
    ColinL
    advice: don't do it. :lol:
  • 02-25-2016
    ibarratito
    Why do not you reccomend it?
  • 02-25-2016
    ColinL
    Because 27.5/650B is 4% larger circumference than 26". It is irrelevant. You would spend all this and have gained nothing, except reduced tire clearance and possibly (depending on the models) the use of some tires that are not offered in 26". But there are still plenty of great 26" tires!

Now, if you buy a new fork because it's better than your existing fork, and that fork happens to be 27.5... ok, that makes sense. Because the fork is better.
  • 02-25-2016
    Genuins
    1 Attachment(s)
    Last upgrade, a Mavic SX wheels.

Regards from Barcelona!!

Attachment 1052443
  • 02-25-2016
    beach_boy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ibarratito View Post
    Why do not you reccomend it?

I did the conversion with a Fox 34 and 650b Hans Dampp in 2.35" and I ended up with little to no clearance. It was so tight I couldn't even slip a mud guard in between the tire and crown. When I rode anything even remotely wet my tires would grab gravel and begin to rub. I went with a 26" fork on recommendations I had read on this thread and I should have stuck with a 650b fork.
  • 02-26-2016
    ibarratito
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Because 27.5/650B is 4% larger circumference than 26". It is irrelevant. You would spend all this and have gained nothing, except reduced tire clearance and possibly (depending on the models) the use of some tires that are not offered in 26". But there are still plenty of great 26" tires!

Now, if you buy a new fork because it's better than your existing fork, and that fork happens to be 27.5... ok, that makes sense. Because the fork is better.

Thank you very much for the advice, I will take it in consideration.
    The truth is that I do not really know what exactly I want to do with this bike.
  • 02-26-2016
    ibarratito
    Muy chula
    Very nice

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genuins View Post

Regards from Barcelona!!

Attachment 1052443

• 02-26-2016
    ibarratito
    Are the new wheels 26" or 27,5"?

Quote:

Muy chula
    Very nice

• 02-26-2016
    andyfloyd
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Thank you very much for the advice, I will take it in consideration.
    The truth is that I do not really know what exactly I want to do with this bike.

For every person like Colin youll find someone like me who did a 650b conversion on the TR and love it. I use a 140mm Revelation 27.5" fork. I run an ardent 2.4 up front and a 2.35 ikon out back clearance is great the bike rides like a scalded goat. It has a 66.8 HT and 71.3 ST with the conversion, BB is @ 13.6".

Attachment 1052619
  • 02-26-2016
    andyfloyd
    Just FYI for anyone who has 27.5 wheels on the TRa/TRc I used to get a slight rub at full compression on the cable stop. I have an alloy frame so I just ground off the cable stop and when I installed the new EVOL I didnt add any spacers, and it doesnt rub at full compression now...sweet.
  • 02-26-2016
    jazzanova
    I rode it in 650b for a year, than in 26". I like the lower BB and the option to run a bigger tire in the back more than the benefits of 650b on this bike.
  • 02-27-2016
    Centaurus
    Quote:

A few months ago I contacted the Santa Cruz Tech department to ask them about this issue and this was their answer:
    "This is a minor issue. The carbon debonding is mainly a cosmetic issue, but due to the fact our frames shouldn't do that we replace them. If it IS going to de-bond it will do so within a year or two of riding. So you are probably in the clear."
    I ride my bike a lot, althought it is true that I basically practice XC and All mouintain, and I do not jump o ride very radical, but I am a big guy and I think I ride enough hard.
    I also contacted the local dealer in Spain, and they said that no Blur owners reported about this kind of issues on their bikes.
    My bike still has 3 more years of guaranty but I am worried this could happen to me.

Hi, a little late back to the thread. Nice! Keep those early TR's coming - nice to see what others have done.

As far as the carbon dis-bonding, this was an early problem around the carbon pivots (sc has since changed the way they integrate the pivots). I disagree that it was only a cosmetic issue as previous owners have stated that the pivot axle would actually separate from the frame and move freely. So I think some are only cosmetic and others are an issue with holding the axle. But if you haven't seen the obvious signs after a year or two I would not worry about it - you can search "santa cruz carbon dis bonding" to see pictures: if you just have some "silver" showing right next to/around the pivot circle it is only the cosmetic issue. The non-cosmetic issue is a more obvious circle crack with a little daylight between the pivot and the crack. At least that's my two cents after some research...
  • 02-27-2016
    Centaurus
    Quote:

Muy chula
    Very nice

Agreed! Genuins, I like the white accents/wheels with the black frame.
  • 02-29-2016
    ibarratito
    Hi Centaurus,

Thank you very much for the info. It is really appreciated.
    I will keep an aye on the frame frecuently to see that everything is OK.
  • 03-03-2016
    manwithnoname
    1 Attachment(s)
    My TRc in 650b mode. I need to dust her off and get her back out on the trails!

Attachment 1054241
  • 03-07-2016
    ibarratito
    konakula
    Quote:

Muy chula
    Very nice

• 03-07-2016
    ibarratito
    Are the new wheels 26" or 27,5"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genuins View Post

Regards from Barcelona!!

Attachment 1052443

• 03-11-2016
    osobny
    1 Attachment(s)
    Let me add some words for consideration. Well, apparently I am happy, converted, user :)

My bike is build in XC setup and is used for endurance xc events. I was looking for fast, efficient yet comfortable machine cause this matters in long exhausting rides.

Conversion allowed to have bigger dia wheels with less rubber as compared to fat 26 wheels - this was exactly what I was looking for -> speed, acceleration.

Another considered option was to trade frame for TB.

So here it goes. 120mm sid 650b, 2.25 rubbers, nice DT xm401 rims. I am pondering on monarch XX now, to increase efficiency on easy terrain.

Anyone tried monarch xx on TR, perhaps? experience is welcomed, anyone can share? :)

BTW pedal clearance also has been improved. Even though wheel dia difference is not huge vs 26, I am getting significantly less pedal strikes. Kind of a conversion bonus, would say.

Attachment 1056067
  • 03-12-2016
    osobny
    Quote:

Originally Posted by andyfloyd View Post
    Yea I had a fox evolution and that rear shock is complete garbage, it had no midstroke support and would blow through its travel and then to top it off was really sticky off the top. The CTD Factory series was slightly better but still wasnt great, the new EVOL has a lot more midstroke support

andyfloyd
    Your new EVOL - do you get full travel with it?

Used to have firmer tunned monarch in blt2 once. Mid support was better but was unable to get full travel :(
  • 03-25-2016
    andyfloyd
    Quote:

Originally Posted by osobny View Post
    andyfloyd
    Your new EVOL - do you get full travel with it?

Used to have firmer tunned monarch in blt2 once. Mid support was better but was unable to get full travel :(

Sorry I just saw your response, yes I am able to get full travel out of the EVOL shock @ 51mm stroke. I run a 2.4 Ardent out back and I just barely hit the seattube at full travel its so slight that I havent even worried about adding a spacer to the shock. The EVOL is the best of both worlds....I run higher pressure than before but the inital stroke is really supple...and then I have a TON of midstroke support and it will still get full travel on like 4' drops to flat.
  • 03-25-2016
    andyfloyd
    Quote:

Originally Posted by osobny View Post
    Let me add some words for consideration. Well, apparently I am happy, converted, user :)

My bike is build in XC setup and is used for endurance xc events. I was looking for fast, efficient yet comfortable machine cause this matters in long exhausting rides.

Conversion allowed to have bigger dia wheels with less rubber as compared to fat 26 wheels - this was exactly what I was looking for -> speed, acceleration.

Another considered option was to trade frame for TB.

So here it goes. 120mm sid 650b, 2.25 rubbers, nice DT xm401 rims. I am pondering on monarch XX now, to increase efficiency on easy terrain.

Anyone tried monarch xx on TR, perhaps? experience is welcomed, anyone can share? :)

BTW pedal clearance also has been improved. Even though wheel dia difference is not huge vs 26, I am getting significantly less pedal strikes. Kind of a conversion bonus, would say.

Attachment 1056067

great deal man! I really love my converted bike. I just took mine to Pisgah and rode a lot of gnarly downhills and its the only time I have reached what I believe to be the limit of this frame. I was going 35+ through rock gardens and the bike was still composed but I was using all my travel regularly. Even so, the EVOL never felt like it bottomed out a great shock IMO.
  • 04-24-2016
    l.j.silver
    I would turn my trc in 650b, what tires can be fitted to the rear?
  • 04-29-2016
    ewilly
    I just bought a 2013 TRC that had a Fox Float R shock which I wanted to upgrade but when I removed it and measured it was 8.5 x 2.5. Is this the correct size for the 650B TRC? I researched and found that the Blur might have been spec'd for 7.875 x 2 but I could not find a definitive answer anywhere!

Please verify if you can help me out!
  • 04-29-2016
    ac1000
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ewilly View Post
    I just bought a 2013 TRC that had a Fox Float R shock which I wanted to upgrade but when I removed it and measured it was 8.5 x 2.5. Is this the correct size for the 650B TRC? I researched and found that the Blur might have been spec'd for 7.875 x 2 but I could not find a definitive answer anywhere!

Please verify if you can help me out!

The frame definitely takes a 7.875x2" (200x51mm).

It sounds crazy but I can see how the 8.5x2.5 shock would sort of work.
    It would bottom out only an 1/8" short as the standard shock. It would have an extra 5/8" of top out stroke that would probably be limited by the frame stops.
  • 04-30-2016
    l.j.silver
    1 Attachment(s)
    with 130mm 27.5 pike
  • 05-05-2016
    ibarratito
    Very nice conversion.
    How does it go with a 1x11?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by l.j.silver View Post
    with 130mm 27.5 pike

• 05-05-2016
    ibarratito
    3 Attachment(s)
    Here it is mine after the conversion a few weeks ago:

Attachment 1068264Attachment 1068265Attachment 1068266
  • 05-05-2016
    l.j.silver
    Quote:

Very nice conversion.
    How does it go with a 1x11?

only the fork it's 27.5 the rest it's 26
    too much limits with the tires

p.s. 1 x 11? no 1 x 10
  • 05-05-2016
    l.j.silver
    [QUOTE=ibarratito;12617852]Here it is mine after the conversion a few weeks ago:]

which Maxxis on the rear?
  • 05-06-2016
    ibarratito
    [QUOTE=l.j.silver;12618196]
    Quote:

Here it is mine after the conversion a few weeks ago:]

which Maxxis on the rear?

Maxxis Race TT Tubeless Ready 2.0.
    I basically use this bike for XC and AM
  • 05-06-2016
    ColinL
    [QUOTE=ibarratito;12619750]
    Quote:

Originally Posted by l.j.silver View Post

Maxxis Race TT Tubeless Ready 2.0.
    I basically use this bike for XC and AM

you must mean a Larsen TT.

I prefer the Tread Lite if you're going with a fast skinny tire for hardpack.
  • 05-09-2016
    ibarratito
    The Race TT is the evolution of the Larsen TT

[QUOTE=ColinL;12620238]
    Quote:

you must mean a Larsen TT.

I prefer the Tread Lite if you're going with a fast skinny tire for hardpack.

• 06-27-2016
    ClayAMac
    1 Attachment(s)
    Current Build - 2013 XL
    Build:
    RS Revelation RCT3 150mm
    Fox Float CTD Rear
    DT Swiss X1600 Spline FR
    XT RD/CassetteAttachment 1078832
    XT Cranks
    Raceface 32t Narrow-wide
    XO Trail Brakes
    Fox Doss Dropper 125mm
    CB Iodine 11 Carbon Bar 780mm
    Spank Spike Race Stem 35mm
    ESI Racer's Edge
  • 09-29-2016
    ivagoc

Here is mine, converted in 1x11 with 34T at the front. Is anyone converted to 27.5"? any experience about it ??

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
  • 09-29-2016
    ivagoc
    Quote:

Here it is mine after the conversion a few weeks ago:

Attachment 1068264Attachment 1068265Attachment 1068266

Hi! it is almost as my bike, have you converted to 27.5??

• 09-29-2016
    ivagoc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ColinL View Post

Hi ColinL, so your recomendation is that if every works fine then it is no reason to convert unless upgrade of fork to 27.5, what are your sugestions for the rear wheel?

• 09-30-2016
    ColinL
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ivagoc View Post
    Hi ColinL, so your recomendation is that if every works fine then it is no reason to convert unless upgrade of fork to 27.5, what are your sugestions for the rear wheel?

Uh, keep riding 26" until you upgrade the frame. That's obvious isn't it?

I currently have no issue finding suitable 26" tires. Yes, it is annoying that some new tires are not available, such as a Maxxis Aggressor. But it's not the end of the world.
  • 09-30-2016
    TwoTone
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ivagoc View Post

Here is mine, converted in 1x11 with 34T at the front. Is anyone converted to 27.5"? any experience about it ??

Go to the 27.5 forum and search Blur. Plenty of people converted Blurs to 650B and liked the change a lot. They were doing before the 'industry' caught on.