Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,350 of 1540
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Blur TRc pictures

Quote Originally Posted by zoro View Post
    Sooooooo

I'm seriously considering switching my TRC to a TR aluminium frame. I went through 2 rear triangles in 5 months on the TRC... Tired of dealing with the back and forth, shipping costs, waiting, and knowing all too well it's gonna happen again and again...

I'm not particularly aggravated with weight, as long as the dam bike holds for at least one full season of use...

SC's cust service got me a pretty spanking price on a new frame so really tempted to pull the trigger...
    Wait, so you have a TRc but if you wanted to go to the TRa they are going to make you pay more for it? I can understand if they are offering you a 5010c or Bronson carbon for an additional cost but seems to me like going to a TRa would be a downgrade and they should just swap it out for you(not to mention the fact that if you went to a TRa there most likely wouldn't be any more warranty rear triangle that they would have to deal with)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    Wait, so you have a TRc but if you wanted to go to the TRa they are going to make you pay more for it? I can understand if they are offering you a 5010c or Bronson carbon for an additional cost but seems to me like going to a TRa would be a downgrade and they should just swap it out for you(not to mention the fact that if you went to a TRa there most likely wouldn't be any more warranty rear triangle that they would have to deal with)
    Look SC's cust service has been stellar so far, but they clearly stated that the warranty covered the rear triangle and not an upgrade (well somewhat downgrade) to another frame such as the TRa. That's why they offered a heavily discounted price on the TRa.

As for the fact that I'm not going to send a TRa back every 3 months, it didn't seem to make any difference.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Wonder if one of the alu rears would work with your carbon front?
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    The aluminium will work with the TRc front triangle, I've spoken to a guy who's been riding it like that for a while after he also got tired of the rear end breaking.

If you're not bothered about the price of changing to a TRa then go for it. Personally I would put up with it for the time being until SC inevitably discontinue the TRc and run out of stock, I'm hoping they'll offer 5010s as warranty replacements then.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.E View Post
    The aluminium will work with the TRc front triangle, I've spoken to a guy who's been riding it like that for a while after he also got tired of the rear end breaking.

If you're not bothered about the price of changing to a TRa then go for it. Personally I would put up with it for the time being until SC inevitably discontinue the TRc and run out of stock, I'm hoping they'll offer 5010s as warranty replacements then.
    That's pretty much my plan too. I'm on my second rear triangle. Had it since September I think and the crack is starting to show now but barely visible. My plan is to just keep asking them for new rear triangles until they discontinue the TRc and offer me something else, or if they still have the TRc 3-4 years from now, I'll just ask for an aluminum rear triangle right before the warranty runs out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Zoro, I feel your pain. I broke a carbon Blur rear triangle - no jumping, no tricky stuff, just regular trail riding. And they don't have the part in stock (obviously so many have broken they've run out). Customer service have grudgingly offered me a new frame but that's a major pain in the butt when I'm outside the US. Shipping back and forth, customs duty etc is going to cost me around $1,000. And like you, I feel that it's just a matter of time before it breaks again. The rear triangles are too flimsy - even for regular XC use. If you plan on hitting anything hard - rock gardens, little jumps, the occasional curb - stay clear of Santa Cruz - certainly the TRc. I can't imagine the TRa is much better - same design right? But maybe the alu is stronger.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by havanother View Post
    Zoro, I feel your pain. I broke a carbon Blur rear triangle - no jumping, no tricky stuff, just regular trail riding. And they don't have the part in stock (obviously so many have broken they've run out). Customer service have grudgingly offered me a new frame but that's a major pain in the butt when I'm outside the US. Shipping back and forth, customs duty etc is going to cost me around $1,000. And like you, I feel that it's just a matter of time before it breaks again. The rear triangles are too flimsy - even for regular XC use. If you plan on hitting anything hard - rock gardens, little jumps, the occasional curb - stay clear of Santa Cruz - certainly the TRc. I can't imagine the TRa is much better - same design right? But maybe the alu is stronger.
    Your statement could not be further from the truth. If you plan to jump, or barrel through rock gardens, or have an amazing trail bike buy the TRc, and this is coming from a guy who has replaced two triangles already. The rear triangles are by no means flimsy and can withstand a brutal beating, my bike can atest to that. The problems lies only with the bonding of a pivot point insert. This area does not like lateral flection and if you bothered to do research on this you will see that this is an isolated problem and does not effect everyone who has a TRc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Bikes to avoid

No you're right. I mean, if there's only that one serious design flaw and it's only across a couple of models, and you've only broken your triangle twice, it's an awesome bike. Just awesome.

And customer service - same thing. A dream come true. I'm only off my bike 3 months or so, it's only costing me $1,000 and who knows, I might get 3 months riding in before it breaks again!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by havanother View Post
    No you're right. I mean, if there's only that one serious design flaw and it's only across a couple of models, and you've only broken your triangle twice, it's an awesome bike. Just awesome.

And customer service - same thing. A dream come true. I'm only off my bike 3 months or so, it's only costing me $1,000 and who knows, I might get 3 months riding in before it breaks again!
    Though I understand your point and your frustration, since the issue with the TRc has to do with the carbon disbonding from the bolt, the TRa rear shouldn't be a problem, and your first post suggests that it would be.

It does seem like BS that SC keeps sending the same flawed-design rear triangle to people that have already broken theirs. What a hassle. Seems like they should just update the TRc design to whatever they did with the Solo and either do a recall on everyone's TRc or else replace them with the new design as they come in.

mtbr member
    So I finally sent back the rear triangle to get a new one. Didn't have the $$ to plunk down on a new frame + shipping.

Maybe next year when I grow really tired...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Guys, what are you doing with your bikes? I mean those frequent rear triangle disbonding issues…
    Isn't trc design here similar to bxc? Perhaps you ride it to hard? Just wondering

Signature: happy (so far) trc user, but limited to xc use only

mtbr member
    All due respect, but the TRC isn't "a limited xc use only" bike.

Therein lies the problem. It's a bike that wants to be savagely ridden. Hard and fast. But a bit flimsly in terms of the pivot bonding in the rear triangle. It's not that the bike is breaking in half...
    Last edited by zoro; 01-30-2014 at 01:14 PM.

mtbr member

Blur TRc pictures

^so true. And don't forget, there are a lot of people who have not had any problems with their TRc, myself included. You just don't hear from them because we don't feel the need to say anything when a product works as advertised. I'm not saying that there haven't been too many failures, cause there have. But a lot of them don't fail too. And yes, this is no XC bike. I ride mine a lot harder than my friends and their 6" bikes.
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

Ow!
    osobny, I have wondered also. I have a TRc, but only use it for "hard" XC. No big drops/jumps. No big rock bashing. I picked it up during the SC sale just to see what it is about. It is fun, but I also have a Blur LTc built a bit big, which handles my local trails better. The LTc does those drops and rocks well. The TRc would be nice on smooth trails with banked turns and nice transition drops, but I do not have these kind of trails where I live.

But the TRc is fast and light, and more maneuverable than I thought it would be. Since I mainly ride my LTc and I have too many bikes, I may sell it this year. It just doesn't ride well on my very rocky trails.

And I am watching those pivots, though I doubt I am beating on it like some of these other folks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Apparently those who experienced dissbonding are beating trc more then me.

Well, I stay with xc use only; also in mountains with rocks and roots, but no jumps etc etc. Just some mountain marathon racing and classic trail riding.

By the way, TRC makes perfect bike for marathon racing in really rough terrain

Looking forward for trouble free life, hopefully.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hi, just to add to the owners of TRCs with no problems.I have a TRC from 2012 and ride aggresively with jumps and drops, no signs of cracks yet.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    another TRc user here w/o any problem, though I did have a disbonding issue on my NomadC...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    my TRc is from July 2011 and is ridden all year long in the Alps. No disbonding issues up to now

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've had my TRc for a little over a year. I just now heard about the disbonding issue in this thread. When I first read about it I thought I was lucky that I had no problems. Then I went and inspected mine, and sure enough the crack is starting. Its pretty small right now, so I guess I'll keep riding it until it gets bad.
    2013 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2015 Lynskey Cooper CX
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member

Blur TRc pictures

Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    I've had my TRc for a little over a year. I just now heard about the disbonding issue in this thread. When I first read about it I thought I was lucky that I had no problems. Then I went and inspected mine, and sure enough the crack is starting. Its pretty small right now, so I guess I'll keep riding it until it gets bad.
    I'd let Willie know now in case there is any lead time on a matching rear triangle. If it's a '12 just warranty the frame now and get the newest frame.
    The crack is only going to worsen over time.

mtbr member
    mestapho, how many rear triangles have you been through? It seems like you ride a lot.

mtbr member

Blur TRc pictures

Quote Originally Posted by kdiff View Post
    mestapho, how many rear triangles have you been through? It seems like you ride a lot.
    2012 TRc (noticed crack in about 7 months, could've been there for a while) - replaced with a 2013 frame (3 months before crack) - replaced rear triangle (1 month before crack started, I checked after every ride) - Solo

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Haven't seen any cracks in mine...

but getting back to the purpose of this thread (PICS!)... here's mine after yesterday's cccx race at Ft. Ord.

Blur TRc pictures-12276707584_f9a314888a_z.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zoro View Post
    Why the saint cranks?

I've been thinking the weight penalty may be overcome by the poster transfer, I know when I put DXR's on my bmx bike it was a noticeable difference from the profiles. I wasn't sure if you could tell on an MTB though..
    believe in yourself! I believe in you!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    Why the saint cranks?

I've been thinking the weight penalty may be overcome by the poster transfer, I know when I put DXR's on my bmx bike it was a noticeable difference from the profiles. I wasn't sure if you could tell on an MTB though..
    I'm assuming based on the worn look of the cranks that he likely already owned them. Why not use them?

mtbr member
    "Why the saint cranks?" You ask?

'Cause that's what CG and Minnaar used to run on there TRC yo!

Blur TRc pictures-santa-cruz-blur-trc-sea-otter-600x300.jpg
    Blur TRc pictures-s780_greg.jpg

Jokes aside, it's what I had when I built the bike and they are a damn good, reliable and stiff crankset. And they have pedal inserts, which I think is great, especially when I run those big flat pedals.

This whole "can't put a DH crankset on a trail bike" gets to me. Geezus lord, it's a CRANKSET!! You could have a deore, the new hyped up carbon RaceFace crank, whatever, it won't make you a better biker.

Your question made me think of this GREAT editorial/article by S. Kemp: HEY YOU HATE THIS – THE GREAT WHITE BUFFALO IS ACTUALLY THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM | Dirt

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Blur TRc pictures-va.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Honeybadger View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	va.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	868870
    How does it ride with the coil? Do you ride with the coil all the time? Or just during the winter?
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    First impression is, I like the feel of it so far. The trail conditions and weather haven't been the greatest, so I really haven't ridden much with it. Everything is snow covered now, so I am itching to get back on the bike and see what she will do in the dry.
    It was on another bike and thought I would try it out on the Blur for awhile. For now, I'm digging it!
    Quote Originally Posted by nightofthefleming View Post
    How does it ride with the coil? Do you ride with the coil all the time? Or just during the winter?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    believe in yourself! I believe in you!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi fellow trc riders... i've been using this bike for a year now...just wondering does anyone of you feel that im making a big mistake by changing to a longer travel bike (still 26 er).. not that i dont love the bike.. but sometimes hands are itching to try new things...but just afraid of making a big mistake. .. any advise out there... ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by izi1 View Post
    Hi fellow trc riders... i've been using this bike for a year now...just wondering does anyone of you feel that im making a big mistake by changing to a longer travel bike (still 26 er).. not that i dont love the bike.. but sometimes hands are itching to try new things...but just afraid of making a big mistake. .. any advise out there... ?
    It all depends on your riding style, and where you are going to ride it. If you are riding mostly XC, more travel is just going to be more weight and tougher climbing. But if you are hitting some rough technical terrain then the extra travel will be great.
    2013 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2015 Lynskey Cooper CX
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    So you want us to decide if the bike is for you, when we don't know you, or the kind of trails you ride? And you love the TRc still too?

If you want a new bike that badly, you'll buy one, there's nothing we'll be able to say to desuade you.

If you love the TRc and it's still the right bike for you, then keep it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.E View Post
    So you want us to decide if the bike is for you, when we don't know you, or the kind of trails you ride? And you love the TRc still too?

If you want a new bike that badly, you'll buy one, there's nothing we'll be able to say to desuade you.

If you love the TRc and it's still the right bike for you, then keep it.
    I mostly ride trail that is a bit rough and few downhill trails, which the trc can handle but maybe a bit slower. But i do also ride long distance xc trails. Basically i like to enjoy a variety of trAils.. Just that maybe the rough stuff is around 20% to 30% of the time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I mostly ride trail that is a bit rough and few downhill trails, which the trc can handle but maybe a bit slower. But i do also ride long distance xc trails. Basically i like to enjoy a variety of trAils.. Just that maybe the rough stuff is around 20% to 30% of the time.
    No complaint on the trc ... i came from a hard tail and when i changed to trc i actually feels it is slightly better in term of climbing and Definitely far better in the down. I think maybe a longer travel bike can push me further in the downhill?

mtbr member
    Every bike is a compromise.. the TRc is light, so can be built for XC and ridden for miles, but it won't handle the same kind of impacts/bottom-outs as something burlier. It has 130mm travel which makes it feel fast and easier to pre-load/jump, but it won't soak up the kind of gnarly terrain that a bronson would.

If you want to bomb the rock gardens more then yes go for more travel, but you will end up with a heavier bike that's not as lively as the TRc. Consider if you changed for something with more travel, would you get bummed out again when lugging the extra weight up a hill during a long XC ride?

Again, it's all compromise, you have to decide what attributes you want to compromise. For me personally, I'd like a bit more beef and travel (like a Bronson) for about 1 or 2 features on routes that I ride maybe once a month... so for me changing to a bigger bike would be pointless. But for you that might be different.

Throw a 140m fork with some meatier tires on. Good to go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    As this is a pictures thread:

Needing a Clean by SamDexter, on Flickr

Oh, and do people think orange grips is a good idea??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fathomer View Post
    As this is a pictures thread:

Needing a Clean by SamDexter, on Flickr

Oh, and do people think orange grips is a good idea??

Stick with black grips.

Is that a 2014 Revelation? If so, what model is it and how are you liking it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My sweet ride... since i never upload it before
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur TRc pictures-trc.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nightofthefleming View Post
    Stick with black grips.

Is that a 2014 Revelation? If so, what model is it and how are you liking it?
    Yep, 2014 RCT3 Revs. Can only compare them to the Blackbox Rebas on my hardtail but there stiff and seem pretty well damped. The black stanchions look cool as well!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Blur TRc pictures-dsc01635.jpg
    Might as well post mine. She currently has Hans Dampf's and some Spank Spike pedals. Looking at getting a Pike for it. I rode a pike the other day in the Fox gets blown away by the Pike in every aspect!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by h20-50 View Post
    Might as well post mine. She currently has Hans Dampf's and some Spank Spike pedals. Looking at getting a Pike for it. I rode a pike the other day in the Fox gets blown away by the Pike in every aspect!
    I got a Pike about 2.5 months ago, but I haven't had a chance to ride in the last 3 months.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur TRc pictures-pike.jpg  

Blur TRc pictures-pike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiff View Post
    I got a Pike about 2.5 months ago, but I haven't had a chance to ride in the last 3 months.
    Are you running it at 150? If so how does it ride?

mtbr member
    Are you running it at 150? If so how does it ride?
    It is a 150. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to ride it.

mtbr member
    Here is mine with a Pike. Only a handful of rides on it but so far so good. Just a little bit more body english when climbing steeps but way better than the Float 32 130mm when the going gets steep and rough The Pike at 150mm (cut, with starnut, axle and crown race) weighed 4.06 lbs. The 32 Float CTD at 130mm that came off the bike weighed 3.97 lbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

We the people ...

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    Here is mine with a Pike. Only a handful of rides on it but so far so good. Just a little bit more body english when climbing steeps but way better than the Float 32 130mm when the going gets steep and rough The Pike at 150mm (cut, with starnut, axle and crown race) weighed 4.06 lbs. The 32 Float CTD at 130mm that came off the bike weighed 3.97 lbs.

That's it, you convinced me! I'll be adding a 150 pike on mine then. I have a 150 650b RS Pike on my Trans Am hardtail and that made me realize how much my fox 32 sucked on my TRc. Guess I'll be making the switch!

mtbr member
    That's it, you convinced me! I'll be adding a 150 pike on mine then. I have a 150 650b RS Pike on my Trans Am hardtail and that made me realize how much my fox 32 sucked on my TRc. Guess I'll be making the switch!
    To keep my bar height the same, i moved some spacers around and got a negative 5 degree stem. The slightly higher bottom bracket also meant less pedal strikes. The total bike weight remained about the same (the bike gained 1/10th of a pound IIRC).

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Nope, I ride pretty ordinary XC, no jumps, no hammering through rock gardens. In fact, I'm somewhat ashamed to say, the Blur's been on sealed tarmac about 50% of the time. I live in Singapore so it's a long motorway ride just to GET to the trails. Then, it's mostly 4wd tracks. I ride maybe once a week. The rear triangle broke under the chainstay while I was just riding along.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by osobny View Post
    Guys, what are you doing with your bikes? I mean those frequent rear triangle disbonding issues…
    Isn't trc design here similar to bxc? Perhaps you ride it to hard? Just wondering

Signature: happy (so far) trc user, but limited to xc use only
    I ride maybe once a week if I'm lucky. I'll do 40 or 50ks. 1/2 of that's tarmac because I ride to the trails. If there's a race, I might do 2 or 3 rides a week, but the extras would be on tarmac. I ride 'competitive XC' the bike doesn't get thrown around at all. I'm 42, I want to keep fit not end up in hospital, so I'm a wuss on the downhills.

At the price point of a Santa Cruz bike (especially in Singapore where they're considered 'premium/exotic'), I'd expect a lot better. For not much more I could buy a competitive off-road motorbike. And in one ride run up more Kms/miles than I've done on the Blur - in total. The warranty on the motorbike I'm thinking of is 5 year / 100,000km. My Blur hasn't done a 100th of that. And the SC warranty only covers the frame and even then, I have to pay for all the shipping and rebuilding and new parts.