biking is fun

Blur TRc as my "one" bike? Better off with a nomad?

Short back story, I am a DH guy at heart and love to go fast and jump. I have always owned a DH bike for the last 4 years but this year I have to cut to one bike while I am in school full time.

I currently ride a DHR and a GT distortion (pretty similar to the TRc). I can ride almost anything on the Distortion but it beats me up a bit. I love how lively it is though so its often the bike I grab when I go out. With the extra half inch of the TRc it would help a bit more on the rocky stuff.

I live in Utah and travel to moab often. I shuttle somewhat often but have got a bit burned out with the shuttle stuff around here so I was thinking if I got a light bike I could actually ride with my XC friends who have carbon hardtails and 29ers. There are many many XC trails in the area that I could explore.

I have owned a couple of AM bikes as well like a nomad 2. Its a fun bike and I know it is more capable on bigger stuff but there is no way I could hang with my friends on the XC stuff. I also owned a Blur LT2 but felt way flexy. I loved it on the technical stuff but didn't feel lively and felt like I would break it when I hit jumps.

I guess my main question is.... Is the Blur TRc strong enough to handle abuse of a few shuttle days a month, resort abuse a couple times a month, and jump sessions at the local jump spot on occasion? I would probably do 75% XC trails. Like i mentioned, I ride the Distortion on some pretty wild trails.

mtbr member
    A lot of it depends on how you ride those things (jump parks, shuttle, resort stuff). If you're pretty smooth I think it would handle all of that just fine (see the Bryceland TRal video).
    As far a riding XC it will do that just fine. I ride with guys who are on super light 29er HT a lot a I keep up just fine and have a lot more fun when
    gravity is on my side.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    I dunno man, I loooove my TRc, and it certainly is pretty poppy and a general hoot to ride, but...I can't imagine it'd be as fun and poppy on jumpy stuff as the Distortion. I also have no desire t take it to the resorts, at least as they exist out here in the east. I want slacker and more travel. It for sure likes fast, and handles chunky stuff well, but the two can combine to get a bit overwhelming and put the bike over its head. This obviously depends on how smooth/good a ride on is, though.

For bigger days or out west ideal trips, I'd be taking my Reign-X/Totem combo. If I really could only have ONE bike, I'd split the difference and go for something like the regular Reign, the NomadC, or LTC - 160mm fork, dropper post and two wheelsets for light and heavy days. They aren't going to rip XC like some smaller bikes, or kill the jumps and drops like a jump bike or FR/DH bike, but they all seem to do a pretty good job of splitting the difference.

What about just getting a lighter wheel/tire combo going, put the money from buying a new bike entirely into blinging/lightening the Distortion up for the pedaly stuff? It's still a hefty frame, but lighter wheels and tires could make a huge difference. What fork you running? Swap to something lighter/air sprung if on a coil fork? Dropper post for versatility? Granted, I don't know how good of a pedaler it is on the XC type stuff.

IMO, either the newer Blur LTc or Nomad-C will be lighter and stiffer than the ones you owned and tried, what with the carbon and now thru-axle goodies.

Buying a complete, or swapping existing parts? What are you working with for starters?
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    I dunno man, I loooove my TRc, and it certainly is pretty poppy and a general hoot to ride, but...I can't imagine it'd be as fun and poppy on jumpy stuff as the Distortion. I also have no desire t take it to the resorts, at least as they exist out here in the east. I want slacker and more travel. It for sure likes fast, and handles chunky stuff well, but the two can combine to get a bit overwhelming and put the bike over its head. This obviously depends on how smooth/good a ride on is, though.

For bigger days or out west ideal trips, I'd be taking my Reign-X/Totem combo. If I really could only have ONE bike, I'd split the difference and go for something like the regular Reign, the NomadC, or LTC - 160mm fork, dropper post and two wheelsets for light and heavy days. They aren't going to rip XC like some smaller bikes, or kill the jumps and drops like a jump bike or FR/DH bike, but they all seem to do a pretty good job of splitting the difference.

What about just getting a lighter wheel/tire combo going, put the money from buying a new bike entirely into blinging/lightening the Distortion up for the pedaly stuff? It's still a hefty frame, but lighter wheels and tires could make a huge difference. What fork you running? Swap to something lighter/air sprung if on a coil fork? Dropper post for versatility? Granted, I don't know how good of a pedaler it is on the XC type stuff.

IMO, either the newer Blur LTc or Nomad-C will be lighter and stiffer than the ones you owned and tried, what with the carbon and now thru-axle goodies.

Buying a complete, or swapping existing parts? What are you working with for starters?
    Good points. I do consider myself either fairly smooth or possibly just a wuss ha ha. The resort I ride has up to 30 foot table tops and such. It wouldn't be a huge deal since the whole resort is fairly smooth.

As for the distortion. It has a strong but light build on it. Lyrik solo air DH lowered to 140, Formula the one brakes, 1x10 gearing, hope hubs with Flow hoops, KS dropper post, etc. It weights 31 lbs as it sits. It is a very capable bike and I have gotten over my head in a few situations since it is so fast and nimble. I have ridden some pretty serious trails on it and am suprised how well it handled.

I think looking for something in the 150-160mm range may be a bit better all around bike for me. I wish I could have two bikes right now but that wont be an option unfortunately.

Thanks for the input. I will definitely look at some other options.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you are going to only one bike the Nomad will allow you to do everything well. I went from a Nomad to a TRC, but I also own a V10. I also think a TRC will get beat to hell fast. Our local ski hill eats nomads up in a week, hell in a season any DH bike is clapped out.

For all mountain riding and down the TRC is amazing however free ride ect the nomad will serve you better. My biggest issue is the lack of ICGS tabs I run a MRP 2x on the TRC however if you clunk something hard you will have to go loosen you bb to move the guard back.

mtbr member
    For a 1 bike quiver I'd rather have a Nomad.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

******ed or Branded??
    +1 for NomadC with light and heavy wheel set.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I agree with Scrublover's comments. The Trc is an excellent bike that punchs above its weight. The Distortion is also a great bike, both bikes are aimed at being short travel ripping bikes. If you are riding the Distortion, which is excellent, and are still looking then imo, there isn't a sufficient difference to what you have and what you will get to warrant the change.

You say you want 150mm travel, then I reckon you should wait a month and order a new Blur 650B with 150mm. It will XC really well with the bigger wheels, and it will certainly be very capable on the downs. All you have to do is ride your excellent Distortion a few more weeks and wait and see if SC deliver the goods on the geo. The Blur stands out as the one bike in the SC line up that needs an improved and modernised geo. Just a thought, then again, you probably just want to swap your parts over. I reckon the new SC bike will be an answer for you though.

******ed or Branded??
    Team MIA SANTA CRUZ shreds french Alps... Video - Pinkbike
    Team MIA SANTA CRUZ shreds switzerland Video - Pinkbike
    with rp23, and I believe a 160mm fork which will help with the climbing and riding with your xc buddies. Like I said just have a 2 sets of wheels that are lighter for xc and a solid AM/FR wheelset for the burly riding.

mtbr member
    What about a carbon Transition Covert?
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

mtbr member
    for a one bike, +1 me on the NomadC or BLTc built up with a 160...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    as mentioned... Nomad C with two set of wheels (burly DH set and light XC set), move all parts from current bike over and set Lyric to 160 MM. You are set, a bike that can do all!

I've got a Nomad AL and have shuttle/lift assisted with and swapped out for lighter XC tires the next day and done 30+ mile Epics. When I can only take one bike on a trip, it gets it done. Had a Blur LT, now I just got a Tallboy LTC for my XC/Trail riding and it's a quite cable bike in doing a lot really well if not great. But I can't recommend it in my opinion for jumping, just feels weird to me. It feels best with rubber to the dirt all the time. My .02.

biking is fun
    Thanks guys,

I have written off the TRc for now. Would love to get one down the road when I can own a DH bike again.

There are some killer deals on used Blur LTc's right now. As mentioned above. I didn't really like my LT2a very much due to flex and the constant fear the bike would snap when jumping it. How does the LTc hold up to abuse? How flexy is it? I would run a 10mm thru axle with it. I would also get an angleset and slacken it out to 65ish. I don't need a ton of travel to feel safe but I do like a solid feeling frame.

The nomad carbons are harder to find at a good price.

******ed or Branded??
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba View Post
    Thanks guys,

I have written off the TRc for now. Would love to get one down the road when I can own a DH bike again.

There are some killer deals on used Blur LTc's right now. As mentioned above. I didn't really like my LT2a very much due to flex and the constant fear the bike would snap when jumping it. How does the LTc hold up to abuse? How flexy is it? I would run a 10mm thru axle with it. I would also get an angleset and slacken it out to 65ish. I don't need a ton of travel to feel safe but I do like a solid feeling frame.

The nomad carbons are harder to find at a good price.
    The nomad carbons are only about 250g lighter than the aluminum. And there is a ton of less pricey aluminum in great shape out there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    NomadC!!! all the way.