mtbr member

Blur TR or Superlight 29 for Girlfriend?

Trying to figure out the best bike for my 5'6 (31"inseam) intermediate Girlfriend.

I had planned on a Superlight 29, to give her a little bit more wheel to keep up with and the rollover confidence a 29er brings.

Then I started wondering if the Blur TR is a better alternative. No 29" wheels, but VPP and more aggressive geometry will be confidence inspiring on the descents.

Standover on both are fine (medium) and weight is .3lb different. Demo'ing would be nice, but not currently an option.

Which do you think would be more confidence inspiring?

Here are geo charts:

TR SL29
    Top Tube 23 23
    Seat Tube 17 17.5
    Seat Tube 72.5 73.5
    Head Tube 4.3 3.9
    Head Tube 68 71
    BB 13.1 13.1
    Wheel Base 43.4 43.6
    Chain stay 16.9 17.5
    Stand over 28.3 27.5
    Reach 15.9 n/a
    Stack 22.6 n/a
    Last edited by mtnmark; 04-13-2013 at 07:47 AM.

b a n n e d
    Maybe have her ride both and let her decide???

If it were for ME, I'd opt for the TRc and go 650b with it.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Maybe have her ride both and let her decide???

If it were for ME, I'd opt for the TRc and go 650b with it.
    Thanks for the ideas. I agree on demo'ing, but we don't have the option to try them out first. We are buying either bike complete so no option of 650b at the moment.

I guess I could consider the Bronson, but probably a bit more $ and a wait for delivery, when the other two are in stock and she needs a new bike now, not July.

Really trying to decide if 29 vs 26" with updated geometry will be more confidence inspiring.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    I think the better question is how hard to you think she is going to want to ride? Most likely she will not ride all that hard and there for I guess the Superlight 29er will be the better option. This is because the superlight is the better XC bike that will climb better (most likely). The modern XC bike can really rip still as well so it will give her a lot to grow into. Also one thing to remember that it takes a lot of time to really be able to push an aggressive bike like the TR and most likely will be a hindrance to a new riding that is learning (assuming she is a new rider.

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It looks like "confidence inspiring" is your main goal. If you are looking at the Superlight RXC build, it will have the 120 mm fork, which makes the bike more stable at speed. I ride a Superlight 29 DXC, but ride in New England, so mostly slower speed rocky, rooty single track. I love the bike, but haven't ridden a Blur so can't compare the two. If it all possible, have her at least ride any 29er first. The big wheels are not for everybody. Is there any bike manufacturer offering a demo in your area? Santa Cruz is demoing in California right now. Aptos this weekend, Sea Otter next weekend.

mtbr member
    if youre going for 'confidence inspiring', in my mind, you should look at the 29er. the big wheels will be a lot more forgiving when shes rolling down rocks/ledges. I see dudes slowly rolling down drops all the time on their 29ers that I wouldnt even think about just rolling down on my Blur LTc. Those drops I would just huck or wheelie drop off of.

I agree with sir_cracken. The TRc is a bike that will really shine when youre riding it super aggressively/railing corners/whipping it around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    if youre going for 'confidence inspiring', in my mind, you should look at the 29er. the big wheels will be a lot more forgiving when shes rolling down rocks/ledges. I see dudes slowly rolling down drops all the time on their 29ers that I wouldnt even think about just rolling down on my Blur LTc. Those drops I would just huck or wheelie drop off of.
    couldn't agree more. I started out on a 29er and took more than my share of wrong lines down drops and around corners and the SL29 just plowed on. The e SL29 is also tough as nails and with a few tweeks can be a pretty capable bike.

O.P>
    SANTA CRUZ SUPERLIGHT 29ER. (FRAME) - Pinkbike
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

mtbr member
    Thank you all for the input, I was virtually set on the TR, but now back to 50/50

I agree on the 29" for confidence personally, just not sure of the XC geometry of the SL. Agree that too slack a bike would feel floppy at slow speeds, but 68 isn't really that slack anymore. She may not be a ripper yet, but the TR could turn her into a slash and burn rider (I hope)!

Had been mildly considering going to Sea Otter, so maybe that will push us over the edge to go and get her on some bikes.

Thanks Again, I'll let everyone know what we go with.

Mark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnmark View Post
    Thank you all for the input, I was virtually set on the TR, but now back to 50/50

I agree on the 29" for confidence personally, just not sure of the XC geometry of the SL. Agree that too slack a bike would feel floppy at slow speeds, but 68 isn't really that slack anymore. She may not be a ripper yet, but the TR could turn her into a slash and burn rider (I hope)!

Had been mildly considering going to Sea Otter, so maybe that will push us over the edge to go and get her on some bikes.

Thanks Again, I'll let everyone know what we go with.

Mark
    Don't think you'll go wrong with either bike.

This may also be worth looking into:

Olympic Mountain Biker Juli Furtado Re-Launching Juliana Womens Bikes, Built by Santa Cruz - Bike Rumor

mtbr member
    Thanks for passing that along! I knew they were coming out with a new Juliana, but hadn't been able to get any details on when and wheel size. Cool to see it is going to be a whole brand, rather than just 1 new model.

I guess we are definitely going to sea otter now. I told the gf and her first question was: what other colors does it come in?

M

mtbr member
    Good luck and take some spy shots!

Funny thing. In my introduction to mountain bikes, I bought my wife a 2012 Rxc juliana and then realized it had the EXACT same component group as a standard superlight RXc. The saddle, stem, bars, grips were not "WSD" so once we got it home, much of that had to be changed. Hopefully the juliana brand will a little more focused on providing a good platform that is geared towards women rather than just another re-badged small framed SL29.

Lastly, the SL29 frame is lighter than the SL26. My large SL29 weighed .15LBS less than my girls small juliana. Same component group. With a little smart shopping you could get a small framed SL29 (juliana) down to 25.5-26LBS without breaking the bank.

mtbr member

Thing Maker
    Apr 2013
    I just got myself a Tallboy C and a standard black Tallboy , size M, with the R build for my 5'7 girlfriend. It fits her perfectly.

mtbr member
    Thanks, but it looks like they pulled it down. Google images were still there though.

After more thought, and confirming that we would be willing to upgrade to the TR, I realized we should be looking at the Tallboy instead.

Thanks for pointing that out too Chris, don't know why it took me so long...