mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Blur TR and LT - educate me please

I'm in the early stages of thinking about, researching, and drooling over going to FS for my next build after only riding 26" HTs. I'm in South Florida, so I'm riding rocks and roots, man-made bridges and other obstacles, short techy climbs, and switchbacks. I'm not a big jumper or dropper.

Two front runners are the Blur TR and LT (both in aluminum versions), but I'm a little confused about the TR . . .

Usually the tradeoff is longer travel for heavier weight, but the frame weight for the TR is listed at 6.58 lbs with 125mm of front travel, while the LT is both lighter at 6.33 lbs and longer at 140mm. I thought that maybe the LT's weight would show once fully built, but the SPXxc 2x10 build with the 34 Float CTD Adjust FIT 150 comes in at 25.94 lbs, while the TR SPXxc 2x10 with 32 Float CTD Adjust FIT 130 comes in at 26.24.

So what gives? The LT is longer AND lighter? Do the minimal tweaks in geo (less than .5 deg in HT angle, .5" in chain stay length, .5" in ETT) really make that big a difference in the ride?

My head's about to explode over here - school me here guys. Why not just skip over the TR and go for the LT everytime?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The latest release of bikes from Santa Cruz are using new geometry specs that - longer top tube, slacker head angles, shorter chain stays, lower BBs - really make for a fun ride, they carve the trail like no other.

I have the TRc - and it has become my go-to bike now for just about any riding...

I never understood why the TRa was so heavy when you look at the weight of the TRc in relation to all the rest of their lineup and compare the carbon and aluminum versions. Generally there is a half pound difference, not 2 pounds like the TRc/a.... can't help you there.

But the new geometry is AWESOME!

Also check out the new SOLO - TR with 27.5 inch wheels.

mtbr member
    If you're not looking to do big drops, jumps, or really rough technical stuff I'd opt for the TRc or the Solo. A shorter travel bike will be a bit stiffer and more efficient climbing. I had the BLTa for this past year, and just recently upgraded to the BLTc. The Blur has been an amazing ride; great climber and fun descending.
    "Got everything you need?"

Ow!
    That is strange that the TRa is heavier than the LTa. I wonder if it is a typo.

Anyways, I have both the TRc and the LTc, both with 135 rear end, so I think they are 2011? Where I ride, the LTc is my go to bike for the very rocky trails with short ups and downs. The TRc is for those "smoother" trails (still some rocks, but minimal). The TR low bottom bracket just results in more pedal strikes than the LT, and the LT handles floating and bashing over rocks and 2' drops better.

The way you describe your trails, I am wondering if the LTa would be better than the TRa. You may not need the added travel, but the LT is a tighter package that I find handles sharp turns better (and I have a 160mm fork on my LTc). Of course, on trails going down that are not too technical, the TR would be a lot of fun. But you live in Florida, so I assume "downhill" is limited.

Of course, others will chime in extolling the TR, but I am not certain they ride the same type of trails you do.

The TR and LT are both good bikes though. I bet you will like either of them, just one may be a little better for you.

Ow!
    ccarbot, SC has Blur LTc's on sale again. $1500 for the frame, and looks like in M, L, and XL. Great deal if you have parts to transfer or like to build up yourself.