SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Blur owner's, alittle help

I mainly want to know how long your pivot's/bearings are lasting? Any other maintenance issues. I'm sure the bikes ride great I just don't want to deal with swapping out bearings every 6 to 8 months.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Good job!

I am changing mine right now, mine lasted 1600 miles. I bought the bearing puller from sc and the bearing and bushing kit from a lbs. The only one that was worn out is the bottom rear bushing. The bearings are all still fine. This bike is great and I have had no other issues. By the way I am a clyde, 235lbs.
    Don

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have 2.5 years and ~1000 miles on mine and they are still fine. I do not ride much in the wet or heavy mud and do not spray water into the pivot areas when washing.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I had to replace the lower pivot bearings attached to the rear triangle after about about 1 year and 2200 miles. These bearings had been submerged several times and I was probably a bit reckless when washing the bike. My new blur is still perfect after about 1000 miles. I try to total strip the bike and clean and lube everything every 600 miles.

Village Dirtbag
    I got my Blur in July '03, as did 3 of my friends. We ride several times per week, in all weather, except for a total of about 10 months I took off due to injury. I hose the bike off with low pressure water every now and then, and I weigh 175 pounds. Based on my riding buddies odometers, I estimate I have about 3500 miles on it. The bearings are still running strong, although not quite as "tight" feeling as a new bike. No noticable play though. Two of my riding buddies recently replaced their bearings at that mileage for the first time. Another riding buddy, who rides his Blur 1/2 to 2/3 as much, is still running strong on his bearings. They're a bit heavier though, and wash their bikes with a high-pressure sprayer after every wet ride (sometime with water heated to 180 degrees!). I estimate these bearings will probably last me through the summer. IMHO, Blur bearing problems were overhyped, and maybe limited to very early production models and a few frames built on Friday afternoons.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Nov. 2004 Blur 100 miles

No creaks yet on my blur with 1000 miles on the clock. Everything tight and quiet. 165 lbs. regular low pressure hosing off after rides.
    Kindacreeky,
    Tennessee Singletrac Sculpter

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Hose and Water and Creak, Creak, Creak

Quote Originally Posted by kindacreeky
    No creaks yet on my blur with 1000 miles on the clock. Everything tight and quiet. 165 lbs. regular low pressure hosing off after rides.
    Tight and quiet on a blur is very good ! 1.5 years on my bearings but very few hose washes. (absolutely horrible even at low pressure.) Plant mistter bottle and then wipe (then repeat.) Or if not real muddy damp cloth (wet cloth and the water will wick right in past non-sealed cable ends, out board crank bearings, headset, shift levers, fs bearings etc.) Never looks as clean as hose spray. I even fell victim to the hose spray devil last week, being careful I thought not to get near the bearings. A couple of days later creak, creak, creak. (I had to remove the uppermost bearing shaft to lube enough to get rid of it.) Dirt and mud does not penetrate nearly as easily as good old water. Side note I dealt with allot of blur creak that lbs was not much help with. Came up with a working plan first- cover lower bearings that attract so much crap. Then heavy lube with a heavy non-petro light colored grease maybe pedros to cling and leave no space for dirt (of course except on the surface of the grease [grease only "attacts" on the surface], and then heavy locktight on the bolts.)
    Obviously still a work in progress.

Recently ordered Enduro bearings from Chris.
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id55.html
    He knows all about this stuff and will answer your emails as well as the great people at SC like Willy and Scott.
    Last edited by gehulme; 02-25-2006 at 01:28 PM.

Savvy?
    I've had my Blur about 8 1/2 months, and have about 1000 miles on it and no problems here. Of course, I don't make a habit of riding in wet/sloppy conditions very often and when I wash my bike I only use very low water pressure..
    That which does not kill me, postpones the inevitable.

Since Nineteen Forgotten
    20 Months and the bearings are still good. Today, I just replaced the DU bushings when I noticed a slight play on the bottom rear shock pivot and it's tight again.

I may have to look at the rear pivots bottom bearings to see how they're holding out. I admit I'm guilty of running a low running water hose to clean the mud but can't be avoided where I live.
    "No, it's not Ron Jeremy in tight Lycra Shorts"....

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have right around 3,000 miles in just under two years on my Blur, and only recently has it begun to display a little "play." Never been apart, ridden fairly hard (170 lb. cross country rider, occasional race, occasional 3' drops, occasional wrecks). Raced the Cool, CA race in the mud and the Sea Otter XC last year on her.

In my case, I suspect it may be the eyelet bushings on my bike's 5th Element Air (original to it ex March '04); however, the LBS technicians are too inexperienced with SC's (and partucularly VPP SC's) to confirm this. It appears that the play is in the vicinity of the upper front link/lower shock eyelet. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this? I'm caught in the black hole between the LBS, SC, and me being a privateer who knows more about the bike than the LBS, but who can't approach SC as I'm not a bike industry dude.

THANX

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

One of Two Problems

Quote Originally Posted by retrowagen
    I have right around 3,000 miles in just under two years on my Blur, and only recently has it begun to display a little "play." Never been apart, ridden fairly hard (170 lb. cross country rider, occasional race, occasional 3' drops, occasional wrecks). Raced the Cool, CA race in the mud and the Sea Otter XC last year on her.

In my case, I suspect it may be the eyelet bushings on my bike's 5th Element Air (original to it ex March '04); however, the LBS technicians are too inexperienced with SC's (and partucularly VPP SC's) to confirm this. It appears that the play is in the vicinity of the upper front link/lower shock eyelet. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this? I'm caught in the black hole between the LBS, SC, and me being a privateer who knows more about the bike than the LBS, but who can't approach SC as I'm not a bike industry dude.

THANX
    Either the shock bushings are bad or the shaft that goes through the lower bushing is broken. Easiest way to tell if the shaft is broken is to try and unscrew the bolt at the end of the shaft. If it spins and spins and spins without coming out, the shaft is broken.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by SMR
    I mainly want to know how long your pivot's/bearings are lasting? Any other maintenance issues. I'm sure the bikes ride great I just don't want to deal with swapping out bearings every 6 to 8 months.
    Thanks
    I rode my Blur Classic ONCE in heavy rain on a somewhat sandy trail and had to replace my bearings immediately after (400 miles at most on the frame). I flush sand out of the bearings for days (seals are non-existant). Finally gave up and bought new bearings and puller/install tool. Now I only take out my hardtail when it's wet and the Blur has been fine for the last 800 miles.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I raced my 05 Blur last season with no bearing issues, although I thought I was having problems with them due to some play when I would lightly lift the bike by the seat. It turns out, like others here, that my shock bushing was wearing down near the shaft. I've used Teflon tape to tighten it up and it holds okay for the time being. I imagine I'll have to replace the bushing this season (if that's what has to be done...I'm no techie with my bike).

I did order the Enduro bearing kit online for about 40$ when I thought that was the problem.