mtbr member

Blur LTC Regrets- Your Thoughts?

I bought a large Blur LTC back in December during the SC sale, and I just haven't been able to get comfortable on it. I'm at the point where I am thinking of swapping it out to something else, but I figured there's got to be a few alternatives before I take a hit on the frame and try another bike.

My main problem with the frame, is that with a dropper post, I cannot get the seat low enough to where I am comfortable on the bike on anything remotely steep or rocky. I don't find the bike unstable at speed or too steep (HA) but rather I just can't get back on the bike.

It looks like I could get away with cutting about 2-4mm off of the seat tube. Has anyone ever tried to do this? I think doing that in combination with a lower profile seat may enable me to be able to ride the bike somewhat normally.

Currently, I am running a Marzocchi 44rc3 (150mm) up front, with the bars way up high. Has anyone started on a 150mm fork and gone up to a 160mm? How did this change the ride characteristics of the frame?

Has anyone been in this situation before? Is it worth trying any of this or should I just sell the frame and pick up something else?

Thanks for any thoughts.
    -Ryan

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Did you try a shorter stem?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lewke View Post
    Did you try a shorter stem?
    I am 5'11" with a large blur ltc. I run a 60mm stem and 725mm bars. the dropper i use is a command post blacklite with 125mm of drop. I also use a 150mm revelation rlt ti. i love steep technical descents on my blur. when it gets steep i usually have my butt behind the seat, level with it or even below, but every bike i've ever owned i've used the same technique. My roomate has a carbon nomad. I have ridden it as well and the only place i see a benefit is drops. I've always been able to ride the same trails on my blur that my roommate rides on his nomad. I took my blur on the blackjack trail (front range colorado) which is considered the most difficult trail in the area, and had a blast. How man times have you ridden it? I found it mediocre at first, but once i got the rear shock dialed in things clicked.

PS

I wouldn't do any frame cutting, it will void your warranty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sra1218 View Post
    I am 5'11" with a large blur ltc. I run a 60mm stem and 725mm bars.
    What's your stack height under the stem?

mtbr member
    Put a 36 or a 55 on the front at 160mm travel, and maybe go 50mm stem.

This pic is my lrg w/ a 36 Float at 160, before I short-shocked it:
    Blur LTC Regrets- Your Thoughts?-p4pb9443837.jpg

The BB is a bit tall in this config, especially w/ those ginormous Conti Tk 2.4s...just shy of 14".
    The down was a LOT better, but the ups suffered a bit w/ the bike wanting to plow, even w/ the bar/tire cranked to turn...it shifted the weight a bit too far back. With a 32 Float 150, it climbed like a champ...but was a bit flexy. That stem you see is a 90mm, 6 or 8* rise. I have a 70mm on there now in its short-shocked config...too short and puts too much weight on the back. When I tried to go up tech, the front end wanted to lift a LOT! So, the 90mm is going back on the bike.

Short-shocked...before I had the 70mm, 0* Thomson on there...
    Blur LTC Regrets- Your Thoughts?-p4pb9443830.jpg
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3 View Post
    I want to say a half inch. I'm not at home, so I can double check. My bars are the sixc carbon with very little rise as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Are you saying that when running the seat dropped all the 125mm down its still too high? Or that when its extended its too high and you can't lower it into the frame any more?
    Is 3-4mm really going to help the former?
    I had a 100mm Joplin on my Blur LTc, size L, and I'm 5'10" and things were cool, fit wise at least. I had a 20mm rise bar and 10mm of spacers under my stem.
    I also ran a 150 Fox and 160 Lyrik fork on my Blur LTc. The 160 was pretty high for me, but if you already have a bunch of spacers you'll be OK just lowering the bars down.
    BB gets a bit higher as well, but its not a huge amount
    here we go again

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3 View Post
    I want to say a half inch. I'm not at home, so I can double check. My bars are the sixc carbon with very little rise as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eleven-yo View Post
    Are you saying that when running the seat dropped all the 125mm down its still too high? Or that when its extended its too high and you can't lower it into the frame any more?
    I think the 2nd, and if that's the case, it would certainly seem that a shorter dropper post is the answer. Specialized makes 75 and 100mm variants, and yes, absolutely the max insertion / min exposed is less on the shorter posts, meaning you can run your seat lower.

I almost bought the same post the OP has, but I looked at the max insertion and it won't fly for me. I have about 6.5" post exposed which IMHO is not a small amount. Yet I'd need to run a 100mm Blacklite bottomed out or instead choose a 75mm... or a different post altogether.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11, and I have ridden the bike quite extensively over the last 6 months (Downieville, Tahoe, Santa Barbara, Marin). I am a DH guy, and I do try to ride the Blur like I am on a DH bike. I used to have a first generation Nomad, and my prior bike to the Blur was an Enduro. I sold the Enduro because I wanted a bike that would be a more efficient pedalling machine.

I am already running a 50mm stem and a Command Post that is bottomed out onto the frame. My problem is that even with the seat slammed, I cannot get back on the bike without the seat hitting me in the ass when I am descending. I believe I have the shortest dropper post available atm, so there is nothing I can do about that, except ditching it for a standard post (Hence, my idea to cut down the seat tube a few mm, I do think it could make a difference).

I don't really fell like I need the front end to be any higher than it currently is, rather I just need to figure out a way to get the seat lower. Maybe the bigger fork will indirectly help out with this as it slackens the bike out?

I was hoping to hear from people who may have had a similar experience as me and what they did to fix it.

Picture of the bike for reference:

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NAYR751 View Post
    I'm 5'11, and I have ridden the bike quite extensively over the last 6 months (Downieville, Tahoe, Santa Barbara, Marin). I am a DH guy, and I do try to ride the Blur like I am on a DH bike. I used to have a first generation Nomad, and my prior bike to the Blur was an Enduro. I sold the Enduro because I wanted a bike that would be a more efficient pedalling machine.

I am already running a 50mm stem and a Command Post that is bottomed out onto the frame. My problem is that even with the seat slammed, I cannot get back on the bike without the seat hitting me in the ass when I am descending. I believe I have the shortest dropper post available atm, so there is nothing I can do about that, except ditching it for a standard post (Hence, my idea to cut down the seat tube a few mm, I do think it could make a difference).

I don't really fell like I need the front end to be any higher than it currently is, rather I just need to figure out a way to get the seat lower. Maybe the bigger fork will indirectly help out with this as it slackens the bike out?

Picture of the bike for reference:
    Sounds like you need a Bronson.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sra1218 View Post
    Sounds like you need a Bronson.
    While that would be nice, I am spending all my money on medical school apps. A new Bronson, at retail at least, is kind of out of the picture. Not to mention I'd have to get new 650B wheels and a fork that will clear the wheels.

Thanks for the thoughts ya'll! I'm tempted to try to cut the seat tube, but it's probably better to sell it.

mtbr member
    Sell the seatpost. Ride with a standard post, or a shorter dropper. For example, I would bet that a 75mm specialized would solve your issue, as would a 2" Gravity Dropper. I am also pretty sure that people were riding gnarly trails without the benefit of dropper seatpost, or even suspension.

Are you looking for an excuse to sell the bike, or are you interested in fixing this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Sell the seatpost. Ride with a standard post, or a shorter dropper. For example, I would bet that a 75mm specialized would solve your issue, as would a 2" Gravity Dropper. I am also pretty sure that people were riding gnarly trails without the benefit of dropper seatpost, or even suspension.

Are you looking for an excuse to sell the bike, or are you interested in fixing this?
    I am looking to win enduro races and it's kind of hard to do when you aren't comfortable on the bike. Ditching a dropper, also isn't really productive toward that goal. I am not made of money and I am looking for solutions, and hence started this thread.

I think you aren't understanding my problem. I don't need a shorter dropper(as in 3 inches of rise instead of 4) but rather I want the seat lower than the frame will allow when the dropper is in the ldown position. The Specialized post will sit the lowest of all the droppers that I know of, so I don't think there is anything I can change on that front.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    How about a pair of offset shock bushings (adapters), I believe they lowered my bottom bracket about .5" so it should stand to reason that it should drop your seat height about that much. Also a thinner seat like a Devo should get you another .25" or so.

mtbr member
    I am looking to win enduro races and it's kind of hard to do when you aren't comfortable on the bike. Ditching a dropper, also isn't really productive toward that goal. I am not made of money and I am looking for solutions, and hence started this thread.

I think you aren't understanding my problem. I don't need a shorter dropper(as in 3 inches of rise instead of 4) but rather I want the seat lower than the frame will allow when the dropper is in the ldown position. The Specialized post will sit the lowest of all the droppers that I know of, so I don't think there is anything I can change on that front.
    Well, the BB on that short-shocked BLTc (2.17" stroke, or 126mm rear travel) is 13, 3/16"...> 3/4" lower than a full 2.5" stroke shock. So I guess if you can live w/ 15mm shorter travel to trade for BB height... If you leave the 44 at stock height, then it'll also slack out the front end a bit...maybe a full degree? That lowered 36 (140mm) gave me a HTA of 67*. I'd bet you can prob get the same HTA leaving your 44 at 150...

Note: measurement was taken w/ a Conti TK 2.4 frt, and a 2.2 rr...see pic.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    I think you aren't understanding my problem. I don't need a shorter dropper(as in 3 inches of rise instead of 4) but rather I want the seat lower than the frame will allow when the dropper is in the down position. The Specialized post will sit the lowest of all the droppers that I know of, so I don't think there is anything I can change on that front.
    In your picture it was rather clear to me that you have the seatpost inserted as far as it will go. Therefore, I was not certain if you found the full height too great for comfortable pedaling. That issue could definitely be solved by a shorter dropper post.

However, I think you have clarified that you are unable to get comfortably behind the saddle when it's dropped all the way. Is that right? And if so... how is that possible? I realize that the saddle would still then not be as low as a dirt jump bike, but just looking at your original pic I can only conclude what others have already said: if you can't get behind the saddle comfortably when it's fully dropped, you need a shorter stem.

I do realize that when the post is fully extended and you're pedaling like hell that the stem length matters too. But since no one makes a stem that can be collapsed and extended while riding, you'll just have to find a happy medium.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I understand your problem, I just don't see how it's possible by looking at the photo unless you have really stumpy legs or really poor technique.

Thoughts: thinner seat, push it a touch forward on the rails and angle the nose higher if you can tolerate it.

mtbr member
    Paul11y: Thanks for your thoughts. I may give a shorter shock a try. I should be able to find a used one relatively cheap. I'm not really too concerned, at this point at least, with how the bike climbs.

Colin: I'm already using a 50mm stem. Funn makes a 45mm stem. I'll give that a shot if I can verify that or something else is actually shorter.

DHbike8: Do you have a link to the offset bushings you used? I have already ordered a lower profile seat.

Blatant: I can't move the seat any further forward. I guess I have a weirdly proportioned body. Technique isn't the problem.

Thanks ya'll!

mtbr member
    You can easily find a 35mm stem. Here's a good one: Universal Cycles -- Spank Spike Stem

mtbr member
    Are you riding rediculously steep trails?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Are you sure you bought the correct frame size? Maybe the top tube is too long, kinda looks that way with the seat pushed all the way forward. Seat tube could be too tall for you. I know you can't change those things, but maybe your dimensions combined with the bike size would help point out the real issue.

If it's not a sizing, sounds like a shorted stem might help - Mondraker came out with a line of bikes that uses 10mm stems, here's a link to a company that makes one.

You could also try a narrower handle bar or one that's got a lot of back sweep.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by mattgVT View Post
    Are you sure you bought the correct frame size? Maybe the top tube is too long, kinda looks that way with the seat pushed all the way forward. Seat tube could be too tall for you. I know you can't change those things, but maybe your dimensions combined with the bike size would help point out the real issue.

If it's not a sizing, sounds like a shorted stem might help - Mondraker came out with a line of bikes that uses 10mm stems, here's a link to a company that makes one.

You could also try a narrower handle bar or one that's got a lot of back sweep.
    At his height.....5'11" he is on the correct size....SC bikes tend to run on the small side.

Think the issue is more that he wants a LT XC/Trail bike to feel like a DH rig. If te trails are truly that steep, then perhaps you are riding the wrong bike.

At 6' on a L Heckler(which had identical geo) never had a problem getting behind the seat on steep trails.....and that was with a 90mm stem.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Paul11y: Thanks for your thoughts. I may give a shorter shock a try. I should be able to find a used one relatively cheap.
    I did a custom shim job on my Monarch so it's unlikely you'll find the same. BUT, I think you can get away w/ a 7.875" i2i x 2" stroke one...but your BB might fall below 13"...which for me, is too low. If you can find a 8" x 2" one, it might work.

Dude, realize this does NOT change the BB's center to top of saddle minimum length, but only lowers your saddle relative to the bar-to-ground height.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mini clyde
    One source of offset bushings:
    Offset Shock Bushings Mounting Hardware Mount Kit All Frames Proshox | eBay
    N.B.: I saw this seller recommended on here or RideMonkey, I forget, but have not bought from him. I've not yet found a need for the bushings.

Relevant experience:
    I bought a BLT1 the year it came out, rode it 3 years without thinking too much about it. Over time I got infected with downhill and bought a Nomad v1 that I came to ride more than the BLT. Eventually the BLT got phased out of the rotation and I robbed various parts from it for other projects. Then last winter I decided I wanted to ride the BLT again and I put it back together only to have a very similar reaction to yours, I felt like I couldn't get back enough to get unscared, let alone enough to get the rear wheel drifting with any confidence. At the time I reasoned that the problem was the geometry vs Nomad/DH-bike: longer TT and steeper STA shifted weight forward plus being smallish for a Med sized frame there was just no way I could get back far enough to compensate. The saddle did feel high, but that makes no sense b/c i ran the same dropper on both bikes and the saddle seems miles away on the 'Mad. I didn't stick with it to see if I'd relearn, I got back on the Nomad and ride happily ever after.

Contradictory anecdotal evidence:
    I have 2 freeridin' fool friends that ride LT2s, they roost and boost way more on those than I do on my 'Mad. Lots of variables in the equation, I reckon.

I loved that BLT while I was riding it exclusively. I never had a thought about the geo, even in the stone age before droppers. I think a Med was just a touch too big for me to ride the way I wanted to ride later. If I were you, I'd try the shortest stem I could find, 35 or 40mm and a slimmer saddle like a WTB Silverado. If you can borrow a non-dropper post to experiment with you can at least tell if the seat tube length is the big issue. Maybe raise the bars a few mm, and/or roll them back a few degrees. Hope it works out for you, one way or the other.